BSS preflop raise sizes...

• brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      I've just switched to BSS and something has striked me as odd after playing a few k hands...
      Here is the question I'll ask, I want to know your opinion.

Why is the preflop raise amount 4xBB's? Why not a smaller amount such as 3xBB's or even 2.5xBB's?
      This is in relation to the situations were you are the first raiser, after a bunch of folds (so you have suited or offsuited face cards)

My thoughts:
      It seems that you are risking a lot of money, to win a very marginal amount. While it is true that we bet so big to create fold equity, wouldn't a bet of 3xBB's be the same? They are virtually the same amount in the opponents eyes. What I mean by that is that if they were going to call a raise of 3xBB's, they would be just as likely to spend 4xBB's.
  • 2 replies
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      well, for one thing 4bb's gives more fold equity, but also, since you'll have the best hand most of the time, or at least will take the pot on the flop most times you raised, you gain extra value.
      I do 3.5bb though (potsize)
    • generals007
      generals007
      Bronze
      well, for one thing 4bb's gives more fold equity, but also, since you'll have the best hand most of the time, or at least will take the pot on the flop most times you raised, you gain extra value.

Word.

Additionally you don't want to give others good odds to call things like small suited connectors that would endanger your hand on a drawy board. Rather have those small hands fold. And if they call anyways, they lose more money.

gen