[NL20-NL50] Nl25 Aj

• DarkAwi
      DarkAwi
      Bronze
      Party, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $25 (100 bb)
      UTG: $48.18 (192.7 bb)
      Hero (CO): $25.25 (101 bb)
      SB: $23.86 (95.4 bb)
      BTN: $26.45 (105.8 bb)
      MP: $32.90 (131.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A J
      UTG raises to $0.75, MP calls $0.75, Hero raises to $3, 3 folds, UTG calls $2.25, MP folds

Flop: ($7.10) K A 8 (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($7.10) 6 (2 players)
      UTG bets $4.50, Hero calls $4.50

River: ($16.10) J (2 players)
      UTG bets $11.47, Hero calls $11.47

UTG: http://pbrd.co/WIq2Wa
      MP is a loose passive fish with 60+ vpip, 62/12 or something like that, I wanted to isolate him.
      Postflop do I need to cbet against UTG? I thought there is no 3 street value against his calling range, and didn't want to cbet/fold, neither cbet/broke, rather bet turn, maybe river if he checks, or calldown if he bets, because if I don't cbet here, my range seems like TT-QQ, Kx, and he maybe tries to bluff me out after my flop chb.
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DarkAwi,

Preflop: 3-bet to iso MP is fine but UTG doesn't seem to like to 3-bets so I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck around as well.

I think that villain may have an occasional worse Ax hand but not much else would call if we cbet. So our bet would mainly be for taking down the pot and balancing our range. Of course I don't recommend that you worry about balance at 25nl too much.

So I think checking back is fine. He is also quite passive (look at bet vs missed cbet, and river aggro) So I'd plan to call one street (turn) and fold the river.

Hi river aggression is exceptionally small and it's not far fetched that he can have AK/JJ/AA/KK there and i doubt someone like him bets a worse hand for value (AQ) especially that large. So I would still be tempted to fold (without any specific reads) because that Jx doesn't actually improve our hand versus the range he represents.
    • DarkAwi
      DarkAwi
      Bronze
      If we check back on flop, we show that we have no ace, so it seemed pointless to me to check back, and only call turn and fold to river. We wanted to let him bluff, by checking back on flop so I felt, that if I checked back flop, then I have to call the turn AND the river bet, otherwise my line is illogical, and I'm just burning money. He is quite passive on the river tho, so maybe it's not a good idea against this guy, because he won't be bluffing enough (?). Since he is kinda passive on the river, how about cbet flop, check back turn, check/fold river if he bets, and 1/3 pot bet if he checks?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DarkAwi
      If we check back on flop, we show that we have no ace, so it seemed pointless to me to check back, and only call turn and fold to river. We wanted to let him bluff, by checking back on flop so I felt, that if I checked back flop, then I have to call the turn AND the river bet, otherwise my line is illogical, and I'm just burning money. He is quite passive on the river tho, so maybe it's not a good idea against this guy, because he won't be bluffing enough (?). Since he is kinda passive on the river, how about cbet flop, check back turn, check/fold river if he bets, and 1/3 pot bet if he checks?
      The thing is people do check Ax hands on this flop. Not strong Ax hands but weaker ones they bluffed with. So a passive guy especially will get scared once he gets called and will shut down often enough to make it unprofitable for us to bluffcatch.

For example, we are getting 29% pot odds before rake. Add a few %s for rake and we get to 31-32% equity required.

That means that he can still bluff 3 out of 10 times without us being able to call and show a profit. So yes, even passive guys bluff but usually they don't do it enough because then their bets will be only bluffs or their aggression will go up.

So I think that overall checking back has more value than a cbet versus a guy that will fold all worse and call only better on that flop. For example, when he checks turn we can valuebet and maybe get one street from KQ or TT. Or maybe he fires turn once and gives up.