Stacks:
      UTG ($26.87) 107bb
      CO ($19.98) 80bb
      BTN ($25) 100bb
      SB ($25) 100bb
      Hero (BB) ($27.63) 111bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.35, 5 players) Hero is BB Q:club: 10:diamond:
      3 folds, SB raises to $0.75, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: 9:diamond: K:club: 6:heart: ($1.50, 2 players)
      SB bets $0.95, Hero raises to $3, SB calls $2.05

Turn: A:diamond: ($7.50, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $5, SB calls $5

River: 10:spade: ($17.50, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero ???

15/11, 20 hands, kinda unknown, seems regular. I didn't want to call on flop, because I only have a gutshot, and don't know if he barrels a lot or not, so turned it into a bluff instead, because he probably cbets this board almost everytime, turn is a good card to continue I think, what do you think about river?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DarkAwi,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: I'd prefer to raise here as a semibluff with hands that have a bit more equity. Even a 67 is better or a hand like QTdd. As played we only really have 4 outs that improve us so our FE has to be large.

As played what do you think his calling range is on the flop? Regulars at these limits will have a lot of Kx and maybe a 78 type hand. Do you see Kx folding to just one more barrel? I doubt it so if we bet turn we should prepare a river bet (most likely shove).

As a side note, in case I forgot to mention earlier, once you leave a reply please hit the "advise judge to take another look" button so we can see it and get back to you (in case you need to continue the discussion).
    • DarkAwi
      DarkAwi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Postflop: I'd prefer to raise here as a semibluff with hands that have a bit more equity. Even a 67 is better or a hand like QTdd. As played we only really have 4 outs that improve us so our FE has to be large.
      Had no sample on him, but seemed a regular, so I thought his SB range is fairly wide, and he cbets this flop almost 100% (if we assume he is a standard reg), so my bluff needs to work ~55% of the time. Since it is SB vs BB, and the ranges are wider, I thought it's gonna be good. If we are UTG vs MP, I just fold.
      Do you prefer folding hands like this against unknown? Seemed regular, but no sample at all. How do you handle these situations? Is it worth thinking about them as a standard regular on the limit, and trying to give them ranges, etc, or just completely fit or fold until we get a better picture of him?

Originally posted by BogdanPS
      As played what do you think his calling range is on the flop? Regulars at these limits will have a lot of Kx and maybe a 78 type hand. Do you see Kx folding to just one more barrel? I doubt it so if we bet turn we should prepare a river bet (most likely shove).
      His range is Kx heavy, and the only draw 78, is got there on river aswell, and KT improved. His flop calling range is AA,AK,KK,99,66,K9,KQ,KJ,KT,K7,K8,78. I guess he folds K7, K8 on the turn, so I only make him fold KJ and KQ from his turn calling range with a river shove. If a blank comes, I would have probably showed, but checked back on this. Showed KQ :f_mad:
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Sure the T may help his range (and we block one of them) but for every Kx it helps there are a lot more that it doesn't. Some draws complete (the only real from draw) so he may even count that.

I think that it will be very hard for him to call down the river with KQ there, or KJ which are about 21 combinations total. Now add some weaker Kx that he may have and we get closer to that % that we need this to work. However if we don't bet the river (and imo a blank like 2h won't really increase our FE that much) we might as well check the turn and give up because, against unknown, we can't expect to see floats with second pair or other hands. His range is flopped TP/overpair and rarely a weaker draw like 78. We can also consider that some of his set or AK combos would backraise the turn on us so we shouldn't count all of them. Even if we don't AA, KK, K9, 99, 66, KT are realisticly about 3+3+2+3+3+6 ( I didn't count K9o) so 20. So about half of his range is KQ/KJ IF he has all the combos of those 2p+

As far as the other question goes I would fold versus unknown given our weaker equity or float but we still run into the same problem. We don't have info nor a hand to bluff with. We have a TON of other hands we can take this line with and give ourselves a better chance to win the hand.