[NL2-NL10] nl4sh AQs IP 3bet pot against aggressive opponent

• EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      Boss, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $6.64 (166 bb)
      UTG: $4.20 (105 bb)
      Hero (MP1): $12.34 (308.5 bb)
      MP2: $8.35 (208.8 bb)
      BTN: $4 (100 bb)
      CO: $0.96 (24 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A Q
      UTG raises to $0.14, Hero raises to $0.39, MP2 calls $0.39, 3 folds, UTG calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.23) 3 J K (3 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks

Turn: ($1.23) Q (3 players)
      UTG bets $0.61, Hero calls $0.61, MP2 folds

River: ($2.45) 5 (2 players)
      UTG bets $1.22, Hero calls $1.22

Results:
      $4.89 pot ($0.48 rake)
      Final Board: 3 J K Q 5
      UTG showed 3 3 and won $4.41 ($2.19 net)
      Hero showed A Q and lost (-$2.22 net)

One of the most aggressive regs i have on this limit.
      stats : vpip 27/pfr 25/3bet 11/fold to 3bet 56/af 5.4/wts 27/w$sd 62/flop cbet 64/turn cbet 71/fold to cbet flop 75/700 hands.
      Basically he play aggressive preflop with 3 and 4 bets.
      Vs 3bet : call 23/fold 56/raise 23.UTG pfr 18.
      I 3bet him IP with a good hand i think.Another reg called.On flop i picked only a gutshot and almost gived up against 2 regs.On turn i hit mid pair with this checked flop.My opponent 1/2 pot raise could mean a steal or a draw on this turn and i called.Should i fold this river 1/2 bet ?

Thanks !
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Lets take this step by step.
      Preflop: why are you 3betting here? Is it for value? Or is it as a bluff? Do u expect him to call with many worse hands?

Flop: what do u think both players have? Can we expect to have enough fold equity with a bet?
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

Lets take this step by step.
      Preflop: why are you 3betting here? Is it for value? Or is it as a bluff? Do u expect him to call with many worse hands?
      I think is for value.And with this preflop raise opponent have,and low fold to 3bet he can call with worse imo.If he had AK he would definitely go broke.Also i don't want to get in multiway pots with a hand like AQs because if i called maybe 2-3 opponents would call also.I try to play my hand ip against only 1 opponent.Is it wrong ?

Flop: what do u think both players have? Can we expect to have enough fold equity with a bet?

Pocket pairs or brodways most of the time.But i don't think i could made both fold in this flop so i didn't make a cbet with my gutshot.And if i did and get called i wouldn't know what to do on turn and river if i didn't hit a str8 or at least an A.

Thanks for your effort (last hand today)
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Do you really expect to call the 3bet with AJ KQ? What is your image? What is your plan vs a 4bet? Dont forget given starting positions u look super strong here. Assuming you are not too aggro and this guy id a decent LAG, he will be folding here with most worse broadways.

Your point about getting into multiway is valid. But that is more when preflop raiser makes a minraise. When the open raise size is 3.5bb i think others are way less likely to overcall since the odds arent too good.

I think the flop is a cbet. You can rep AK and worse hands like TT 99 AQ all have to fold pretty often.
      If u bet half pot, u only need both of them to fold 33% of the time. Given that u have a gutshot u dont need ur bluff to work so often since u can improve on the turn or river.

Thanks.