$4.15
      MP2:
      $17.57
      MP3:
      $7.27
      CO (Hero):
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4, A.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BU folds, SB calls $0.25, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.7) 9, 2, A (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.50, SB calls $0.50.

Turn: ($1.7) 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.00, SB calls $1.00.

River: ($3.7) 4 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $3.7.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, aces and fours(4s Ad).
      SB shows a pair of aces(Ac Qc).

Hero wins with two pairs, aces and fours(4s Ad).

Villain is a 23//9
  • 6 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Try to assess the strength of your hand on the Flop. Is it a 1/2/3 streets of value type of hand?

Then decide on whether you should check the Flop, Turn or River. I don't agree with betting Flop and Turn because you are over-repping your hand. I think you never get called by worse unless he's really bad.

As played, just bet really small on the River if he is bad cos he will still continue calling with his one pair type of hands.

Thanks.
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Do you think I mis-valuing (incorrectly valuing) my hands then? A trend? And if so can you point me to somewhere where I can develop this some more.

What would you say was a good amount of value here vs a loose passive type player?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I think a halfpot bet on the River should suffice.

But more importantly, I think you should realize that you should either check back on the Flop or Turn. Our hand is not strong enough to value bet on the Flop+Turn+River (at least before you hit the two pair).
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Any advice on how to improve my understanding of this?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      1) Ok when you see the Flop, you assess your absolute hand strength first.
      Do I have two pairs? Do I have a set? Do I have top pair no kicker?

2) Next, you assess your relative hand strength. Compare your hand strength vs what you think your opponent's range is, how light he is going to call you down with what hands, and also consider the board texture.

For example, on a monotone board, it is less likely for your opponent to call 3 streets of betting with top pair medium kicker.

3) Now you decide on whether your hand is Strong, Medium or Weak. If your hand is strong, you probably want to keep betting on every street (3 bets). If it's medium, maybe you want to get 2 bets into the pot. You can check Flop and call a bet/bet when checked to on the Turn and call/bet River. If your hand is weak, maybe you bet once and give up, or maybe you check back Flop and call Turn once before folding to a river bet.

Putting things into perspective for this hand over here.
      1) You have top pair no kicker
      2) Your opponent is 23/9, I don't imagine him having that many low Aces like A6o. But anyway that's irrelevant. Board is monotone, and I don't see him calling 3 streets with a 2nd pair type of hand.
      3) We have no kicker so we definitely have a medium strength hand at best. We should plan to check either the Flop or Turn.
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Thanks mbml.

I'll try and start putting this into practice and maybe come back to you if I need help with it still?