[NL20-NL50] nl20 JJ

• lodinn
      lodinn
      Bronze
      Anon-tables. No reads on fi. I realize that my play here probably was really bad, given his aggression on a 4-way flop. But I just read his lead rather as weak than strong, as I don't usually see fish plays their strong hands like this, but rather c/c or c/r. Thankfully I ended up happy and confused.

That to be said, I still I believe that without reads I have to let this go. If so, at what street?

Prima, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $20 (100 bb)
      SB: $13.98 (69.9 bb)
      BB: $28.42 (142.1 bb)
      UTG: $20 (100 bb)
      MP: $23.07 (115.4 bb)
      CO: $12 (60 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with J J
      UTG folds, MP calls $0.20, CO calls $0.20, Hero raises to $1, SB calls $0.90, BB folds, MP calls $0.80, CO calls $0.80

Flop: ($4.20) 5 5 8 (4 players)
      SB checks, MP bets $2.10, CO folds, Hero calls $2.10, SB folds

Turn: ($8.40) K (2 players)
      MP bets $4.20, Hero calls $4.20

River: ($16.80) T (2 players)
      MP bets $15.77 and is all-in, Hero calls $12.70 and is all-in

Results:
      $42.20 pot ($2.11 rake)
      Final Board: 5 5 8 K T
      Hero showed J J and won $40.09 ($20.09 net)
      MP showed J T and lost (-$20 net)
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey mate,

I don't think your call down is bad but it's bad that you were confused imo. What I mean is, although the play might be fine, you didn't have a rational thought process for it which might get you in trouble. Whether it was good or not it's up to you to decide based on what we discuss now.

In order to make this call you need a reasonably good understanding of your opponent's range and be able to hand read. That K on the turn is probably what got you a bit scared if I'm not mistaken? A lot of people have the overcard syndrome without realizing that MP doesn't have many Kx to bet.. Probably just KhXh which is not a lot of combos... If he bets all other draws, some random A high you can probably call down even if he plays the nuts like this. You previously mentioned though that you expect him to c/r the nuts. Now, this might or might not be correct but I think you should go with your assumption for now and adjust when wrong.

Therefore, if we include only the KhXh hands in his range and mostly other draws, while excluding 5x, 88, we can definitely consider our JJ a solid bluffcatcher and call down.
    • lodinn
      lodinn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Hey mate,

I don't think your call down is bad but it's bad that you were confused imo. What I mean is, although the play might be fine, you didn't have a rational thought process for it which might get you in trouble. Whether it was good or not it's up to you to decide based on what we discuss now.

In order to make this call you need a reasonably good understanding of your opponent's range and be able to hand read. That K on the turn is probably what got you a bit scared if I'm not mistaken? A lot of people have the overcard syndrome without realizing that MP doesn't have many Kx to bet.. Probably just KhXh which is not a lot of combos... If he bets all other draws, some random A high you can probably call down even if he plays the nuts like this. You previously mentioned though that you expect him to c/r the nuts. Now, this might or might not be correct but I think you should go with your assumption for now and adjust when wrong.

Therefore, if we include only the KhXh hands in his range and mostly other draws, while excluding 5x, 88, we can definitely consider our JJ a solid bluffcatcher and call down.
      I didn't worry about the K too much. Just as you say, there shouldn't be many Kx on the turn- and if he did bluff on the flop there's more air that doesn't hit which could continue on the turn. However, this was a rare spot to me as I do think that fish usually go for the c/c, c/r with his strong hands- which was my reason to the calldown. I'm not sure however how often I can expect someone unknown to fire a 3barrel-bluff/weak sd in this spot given the 4way flop.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Your thinking is good imo. Yes, he doesn't bluff often into 4 people but you excluded all his strong and basically all value range on the flop.. If he leads 8x on the flop he is not playing it like this and you beat it anyway. It means his range is what I usually call polarised and capped meaning it's polarised but has no combos in the top part resulting in almost pure air range.