Kept in Check

• Nicko00
      Nicko00
      Bronze
      Before I outline who I am and what I want out of poker, the main reason I am considering starting a blog is because I am generally a stickler for the rules but really only when I'm being monitored.

I used to have glamorous expectations of poker. I thought I was capable of entering a few tourneys, making a couple of good in the money's and that would get the ball rolling. I knew of someone who's brother was consistently making a couple of grand a month and he was only 18 for a small period and didn't think it was out of my depth. (once I was of age). First came into contact with poker when on a school trip to the states. Flush with spending money we would play poker at night in our rooms and I managed to clean up...(over $100 over a few nights, which is pretty nice when youre 16 and have no income yourself!). Following this we played for a couple of years on average once every 2/3 weeks and the standard of the groups game improved hugely, but consistently 2 of us always figured in the money.

I am now 20 years old, a student studying a mathematics/statistics based university degree and have made no enrodes into a career in poker. I play frequently online however I never have attempted proper bankroll management in all this time while being very much aware of the concept. I go through phases of craving the game and detesting it, but in a tiltish, childish way. I looked to huge MTT formats I couldn't afford bankroll wise i.e $22 (I am a student) and didn't have any consistent look. Made a couple of decent cashes but blown away over time i.e two $1000 payouts and a few $350/$400 ranges but overall they've been wasted. Either through ambitious tournaments there after or miscellaneous reasons.

On top of this online history I have played in 7 live poker reg tournaments and have finished in the money in 4 of them with average fields of 55/60, which is pretty good and I am definately up money from them, but time consuming and would deviate from my new BRM plans so I will leave this for now.

I have never really taken to cash because it appeared to take too much time for the returns, even though I am in profit from them. My lack of discipline to date has been a bit of a joke and so I'm going to give blogging a go to try keep me in check.

Tonight, with a low bank balance (no job as I stopped part time work to focus on college) I turned some loyalty points which bought me $1.10 SnG 6 man turbo ticket into a second place finish rewarding me a massive $2.10. I decided to grind it out at the .01/.02 cash game tables for a couple of hours while watching TV and I now have €13.89 in my account.(wowafuckingwewa)

:diamond: Well good boy, so what?

I am going to try be a bit more disciplined and continue to play NL2 CG's on the same software and build up a bankroll steadily. If I keep to this and it doesn't work, I might consider kicking the poker bucket. There's no real goal as to what the money is for or the likes, I will see if anything comes of this.

- I will give frequent updates on how the micro's are going and post steady bankroll numbers

- I will try put some time aside to read articles on pokerstrategy

- I will learn how to use these forums properly, including hand uploads, tracking performance regarding statistics and purchase a decent poker tool/software once it becomes viable

Cheers and good luck to whoever's time I've probably just wasted!!
  • 12 replies
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      Sounds like the start of something great or short lived depending on your mindset...

Why not add in the free PS cash on Poker770 if you haven't already done it, the traffic isn't great but the games are soft, there is also a freeroll at 7pm each night for some extra pennies.

It would be great to see a couple of goals too.

Either way good luck :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Welcome to blogging Nicko :)

I think we've all had that glamorous notion of shipping a HUGE tourney and sailing into the Hawaiian sunset :D

Best of luck!
      Gary
    • Nicko00
      Nicko00
      Bronze
      Got a couple of disappointing hours in today. Final bankroll for the day now stands at €12.87 so a loss of €1.02. I've been sticking to NL2 six man tables the whole session, with 4 tables at a time. Got caught out by hands in the beginning where I was probably being too generous with put odds i.e actually giving worse than they should have been playing but at NL2 doesn't seem to make much difference!!! I was playing too loose and tightened up a bit but also turned up aggression when I was actually hitting. Still, I managed to get a few bad beats and nearly started tilting. Took a 10 minute break, came back and made around €2.50 back in the space of 15 minutes because of a couple of nice hands which managed to hold.

I might play another hour later if I'm feeling like it but will probably leave it for tonight

I was hoping that the finishing figure would be around the €20.00 mark but I suppose you have bad days also, even at this level.

Plan for next session is to substitute in 3 9 man tables to mix it up a bit. It will probably force me to be a bit tighter overall aswell. The 6 man tables and general looseness of ranges at NL2 was getting to me and making me looser as a result, so might do some good. I think I prefer 6 man tables and they suit me better but with this new strategy I need to see what gives the best results.

Arrivederci!!
    • Nicko00
      Nicko00
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gentari
      Sounds like the start of something great or short lived depending on your mindset...

Why not add in the free PS cash on Poker770 if you haven't already done it, the traffic isn't great but the games are soft, there is also a freeroll at 7pm each night for some extra pennies.

It would be great to see a couple of goals too.

Either way good luck :)
      When the bankroll increases a bit I will definately start looking at set goals so I'm not losing sight of profits. I seem to have claimed the free 770 cash like a year ago but had no recollection, obviously didn't do anything constructive with it!!
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Hey just dropping by to say good luck. I recommend sticking to cash games: though it may not be glamorous, and you won't ever be able to say to someone "I made $2000 today" (at least, not for a little while), it's a format that will consistently reward hard work and commitment.

While MTTs definitely require a ton of skill, the luck element is just so much higher online when you're going to be hitting <20bb so quick with so many guys still left in. I remember reading in Dusty's book a quote I liked (can't remember the original source, maybe it was Harrington): something to the effect that MTTs are like lotteries, except some players are so bad they don't have a ticket, while most have 1 or 2 and the best have 5 or 6.

Anyway, good luck and crush NL2 :)
    • Nicko00
      Nicko00
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ains21
      Hey just dropping by to say good luck. I recommend sticking to cash games: though it may not be glamorous, and you won't ever be able to say to someone "I made $2000 today" (at least, not for a little while), it's a format that will consistently reward hard work and commitment.

While MTTs definitely require a ton of skill, the luck element is just so much higher online when you're going to be hitting <20bb so quick with so many guys still left in. I remember reading in Dusty's book a quote I liked (can't remember the original source, maybe it was Harrington): something to the effect that MTTs are like lotteries, except some players are so bad they don't have a ticket, while most have 1 or 2 and the best have 5 or 6.

Anyway, good luck and crush NL2 :)
      Yeah thats the plan for now, I've tried MTTs for long enough and nothing really came of it. I generally went for guaranteed prize tourneys on Stars etc. which draw huge fields and if you're not exercising proper BRM and just playing here and there it's not very likely you'll end up ahead!!
    • Nicko00
      Nicko00
      Bronze
      I have gained silver status now so plan is to read a few articles when I have some free time or when I need a break from grinding NL2.

I tried my plan of playing some 9 seater tables but it just confirmed that I am not a fan of them (at NL2 anyway). The amount of hands played drops remarkably for only 3 extra men and I find I get way to many callers and limpers on those tables to be worth my time. Didn't feel confident when I got KK and AA because I was early/mid position and no matter what I raised(unless all in) I didn't know how many callers I was going to get. This is never really an issue when i play 6 man because if you want to isolate it down to one caller, if any it's not usually a problem.

Still, I played for just under 2 hours this afternoon with an average of 5 tables open at a time, 3 6 man and 2 9 man tables. Bankroll is now €17.75 so up almost €5.00 for the afternoon. I'm happy with that as the first hour wasn't going so well and I was getting a few bad beats. One bizarre situation in which a player would call any amount preflop(even going all-in) and then bet €0.02 at the pot. Had AQs so tried to take advantage of this, I had just over €2.00 after doubling up, as did he. He insta-called my all in with Th3h and shit a flush on the river after a nice Q showed up on the flop. I reloaded to try make my money back but the cards didn't oblige and within 15/20 hands of this he handed over €6.00 worth of chips to another player after reloading twice himself!!

Even at the micros you don't get that kind of play too often so I was annoyed I couldn;t take advantage of it, but hopefully he turns up again!!

Anyway might get another couple of hours in later, Good luck at the tables!
    • Nicko00
      Nicko00
      Bronze
      Final bankroll figure for the day is €20.25 so pretty consistent gains so far.

I am looking forward to getting up to NL5 now. I'm sick of being unable to put ranges on half the opponents I'm up against. My AA has been cracked by the likes of 73o hitting full house flops and the likes and I have been anything but generous with preflop pot odds so it's frustrating!

The aim is for the bankroll figure to be at €30.00 by Friday. Will try get a few hours in tomorrow night as Champions League Wednesday will indeed keep me away from the table.

I'm going to look into starting the PokerTracker 4 free trial soon as i don't have any major distractions for the next 30 days i.e trips away etc. Also I'm starting to notice a few regs at NL2 level, I'm playing on Ladbrokes, Microgaming software if I haven't mentioned it before. They play very tight but seem to be profitable so I just adjust my game to their invlovement sometimes. There's one player I have seen that only really plays AA,KK and AK so I steer clear of him/her! I have moved on to having 6 x 6 man tables open at a time which keeps me active but I think helps my discipline as I'm not tempted to play marginal hands.

Anyway I'm done for tonight, going to watch some Peep Show, one of the funniest comedy series I've seen. Until next time, good luck!
    • Nicko00
      Nicko00
      Bronze
      Today has been stagnant, mainly because there was an extremely soft player on one of my tables who stole my chips on a couple of occasions. I generally have been playing €0.01/0.02 6 man CGs and buying in with €1.00, play MSS at the moment. I ran into this terrible player who lucked out on me. I decided to reload with €2.00 to get my money back plus more for my troubles. Got my chips in good against him again and turn helped him out again. Reloaded for a second time. Managed to double up against another player and for the above fish to double me up again to stand at €9.00. The weak player still had €6.00 from ripping others of aswell, it really was incredible to watch so being gready I stuck around only for him to luck out on me again and leave me with €3.00 and he left about 5 minutes later....

Another bad luck hand, but this time another players!

** Hand # 4771991954 starting - 2013-02-12 19:21:37
      ** Turbo: Micro NLHE 12 - €2 Max [Hold'em] (0.01|0.02 NL - Cash Game) Real Money

--_-_rTdbKd sitting in seat 1 with €2.00
      odde12 sitting in seat 2 with €3.72
      Visavi sitting in seat 3 with €2.00
      HERO sitting in seat 4 with €1.49
      slv83 sitting in seat 5 with €1.38
      Laymis sitting in seat 6 with €2.28[Dealer]
      --_-_rTdbKd posted the small blind - €0.01
      odde12 posted the big blind - €0.02

** Dealing cards to Lilnick: Qh, Ks
      Visavi folded
      HERO raised to €0.08
      slv83 folded
      Laymis called - €0.08
      --_-_rTdbKd raised to €0.40
      odde12 called - €0.39
      HERO folded
      Laymis folded

** Dealing the flop: 4c, 4s, 4h
      --_-_rTdbKd checked
      odde12 checked

** Dealing the turn: 6d
      --_-_rTdbKd bet - €0.73
      odde12 called - €0.73

** Dealing the river: 3h
      --_-_rTdbKd went all-in - €0.86
      odde12 called - €0.86
      --_-_rTdbKd shows: Ad, Ah
      odde12 shows: 4d, Qs
      odde12 wins €4.06 from the main pot

Rake: €0.10

Poor AA, if they're going to crack atleast let them crack with some decency!!

Anyway my bankroll is at €20.92 now which I'm disappointed with as i could easily have been the better side of 30. I'll keep an eye out though for the player and try make the most of next time we meet!!
    • Nicko00
      Nicko00
      Bronze
      So an update on how things are going with my new found discipline. The bankroll is sitting nicely at €52.79 which far surpasses my aim of €30.00 for the week!

I am going to move up to playing €0.02/0.04 CGs now. The lower limit has 5/6 reg's who takeover the tables and play with a very tight range of AK,AA,KK and QQ and will almost fold anything else if there is any opposition. I think there is much more value to be had at the new limit. Appears to be a larger variety of players and non-regulars playing the €0.02/0.04 tables.

A couple of new goals for the next while:

:diamond: Attain Gold status on pokerstrategy to avail of more complex articles and other strategy material

:diamond: Achieve a bankroll of €100 by next Sunday

:diamond: Play an average of 2 hours a day ( and try limit it to this as poker can be distracting and take away from college work!!)

Good luck at the tables!!
    • Nicko00
      Nicko00
      Bronze
      Played for another few hours this evening and guess what? Bankroll is now back down to €24.82.

I played tighter than I have done since starting, didn't tilt at all, got my money in good consistently and managed to get dicked all over. The sheer amount of times my AA and KK got beaten by QTo,99,33 etc. was actually incredible. I didn't try to slow play them once, each time I entered a pot with them I pot re-raised and nothing could get rid of them. when I hit about €40.00 I started to puch with them rather then 3 bet and still crap hand after crap hand kept coming in.

People calling with inside straight draws left/right and centre hitting on the river after calling my all-ins. Still it might appear from the above that I tilted and gave away stupid chips but if anything it was the opposite. i played extremely tight aggressive but that didn't put off people calling with marginal hands.

I was considering packing it in and using the rest of my bankroll to put on a sports bet instead, but, I said I wanted to do this properly. I will go back to €0.01/0.02 tomorrow and start again. If it goes wrong from there I have no excuses as I definitely don't look back on tonight's play as incorrect, just unfortunate.

:s_mad:
    • Nicko00
      Nicko00
      Bronze
      Ok say I haven't updated this in a couple of days.

Ended up recovering back to around €44.00, only for a later session to bring me back down to the €25.00 mark and I just bailed on the whole thing and blew it on an MTT..........

HOWEVER, I put €15.00 on PKR and just took down their Exterminator tourney which netted me a nice $254 including bounties! (Only knocked out 6 players of a field of 146, which was well below the average of my final table so very pleased to come out on top)

I am going to start with a BR of $200 and play NL10 on this site and see how it works out. Only problems with this software versus say Microgaming is the difficulty of multitabling. Also I downloaded HEM2 and I have 27 days left on the trial but the HUD is terriblw with PKR. Anyway I don't think HUD was helping me too much, but I like using it for reports and it will help me analyze my game better so I will use it for that. CG's at this site appear to be quite soft and I don't think there will be too many good regs as the software doesn't really support multitabling. Anyway I'll let you guys know how it goes!!