MTTs structure

• Econom1sta
      Econom1sta
      Bronze
      Is it possible for some mtts to have bad structure and simply aren't profitable to play?

I play mtts on 888 and there are a lot of different tournies. Some of them are pure donkfests, especially rebuys with people gambling their stacks multiple times all the way through the addon. Is it worth a while to play these types of tournaments?

Also it seems like I can't find my way in 6max, are those much different than 9max?
  • 5 replies
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hi Econom1sta and welcome to the tournament strategy forum!

I would be happy to see you around more often.

Regarding your questions:

There are certain tournaments that can't be played with a big longterm profit for sure. The faster the structure of a tournament gets, the harder it will be to gain profit longterm.

Rebuy tournaments can be played extremely profitable though. It is a bit more gambling in the rebuy time. You can either participate in gambling it up or play just very solid and profit from other players being very loose.

Be aware that you should have a proper bankroll before you play rebuy tournaments. You should normally expect at least 5 buyins. If you have a 200 buyin bankroll management (which I would at least suggest at 888) and want to play a 10$+R your bankroll should have at least 10k$ (10$*5Buyins*200 BI BRM).

6max tournaments are partially different from fullring tournaments. You have to play a lot looser in order to be able to outlast blind increases. Furthermore there is generally more aggression and more action. Best style for 6max tournaments is a loose aggressive one for sure.

If you are a beginner I would suggest concentrating on fullring tournaments and get more experience in general before you mix your schedule with 6max tournaments.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban
    • Econom1sta
      Econom1sta
      Bronze
      Thanks Asaban!

I'm not unexperienced, but I do lack much of theoretical knowledge. I play micro mtts on 888 (<$6) and my results are pretty solid, ~100% roi over ~350 games.

What's a good sample on mtts?

I do have an edge, but if I would just work on my game I believe my results would be incredible.

Is there any book you would recommend that has practical use for these low skilled mtts?
      Also any article or video on 6max game?
    • Calanau
      Calanau
      Bronze
      As for me, I would avoid all kind of turbo tournaments (its more of all-in lottery), Knock out tournaments (due to the bounty hunt many fish just shove anything they have hoping for best - and usually they get it.) and re-buys due to the fact people gamble more then in normal tournament.

Stick to the regular tournament with no re-buy and blind level 10-15 min. There you can show some poker skills not only shove all in and hope for the best.

PS. On 888 there are few "team" tournaments. I think they are worth to try but with one trick. Always wait for the late registration and register at the end of a late registration choosing the team with the least players and the one that lost the least number of players. for instance. if you have the "World Cup" tournament wait the 30 min of the late registration and join the team then.

Let say there are few teams:

Germany 13/34
      France 22/27
      Japan 5/12
      Venezuela 3/3
      Mexico 5/6

You should join Venezuela and then Mexico due to the fact that the team place is calculated on a basis of the average position of the players and since in other teams players were already knocked out and are on a far positions overall score of a team will be lower no matter how good the other players that are still in a tournament will do. Just a tip for those who play on 888 Poker :)
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      A sufficient sample size to get reliable numbers is hard to achieve in mtt's. To get started, 1000 games should give you some indicator and you can take an educated guess, if you are a winning player or not at this point.

In fact, 350 games can't even tell if you play +EV or not. Since your ROI is kind of high I guess it might be possible that you are a winning player though ;)

But you can't be sure of it yet. Furthermore I don't think that 100% ROI will be possible in the long run.

If you really want to read a book I would suggest the "Harrington on Holdem" books to get started and learn all the basics. These books are a bit outdated but still the most valuable source of basic content imo. If you are looking for some advanced strategies you should have a look at "Kill Everyone", as well as "Every Hand Revealed" and "The Poker Mindset". These are the books that come up in my mind when I try to think of good books. There might obviously be a few more though.

Be aware that I wouldn't recommend buying books in general since they won't help as much imo, while costing quite some money. Most necessary content can be found in our strategy section, as well as our video section or the forums. All of it is available for free.

Regarding 6max videos you may find all available 6max videos on pokerstrategy if you follow this link: click

Unfortunately, most of them are for silver+. You may find further information on our status system in this article: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/status-points/

If you have any further question feel free to ask :)

Regards,
      Asaban
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      @Calanau:
      Nice to see some new face around. Thank you for taking part in the discussion!
      I hope you will post in the forums more often from now on :)

Still, I have to negate some of your ideas.
      First of all I agree with your opinion on turbo tournaments. Especially in the micro and low limits I wouldn't suggest playing them very often, since the variance is extremely high.

KO tournaments are a matter of taste as well. Some like them, some don't. Personally I avoid them in most cases, but I don't think that they have many disadvantages over normal tournaments.

Rebuy tournaments are a great opportunity imo. They offer a chance to build up your stack without risking your tournament life in the beginning. If players are very loose and aggressive you can easily adept by playing tighter. After the rebuy period ends the tournament is pretty much the same as any normal tournament, except for the fact that it is way deeper in most cases and therefore you will be able to play out your edge way better.

Furthermore I don't think that it is a bad thing at all if a lot of players try to gamble it up as long as the structure is kinda deepish. You can easily play them for value und bring it in while you are way ahead. Sure, you will get sucked out from time to time - but that will always happen to you in poker and shouldn't be an argument. You should always be happy about bad players that are bringing it in with the worse hand. Think less result-oriented!

One more thing to add:
      If you decide to play a rebuy tournament be sure that it fits your bankroll management. I already explained it in more detail in my first post so I won't repeat it any further.

Again: If there are any more questions feel free to ask. Also feel free to discuss wherever you have a different opinion.

Regards,
      Asaban