standard heads up play???

• takeurfate
      takeurfate
      Basic
      i`m starting to get into heads up NL and decided to play 50nl heads up.i normaly play 6max 25nl.
      so i open a table and sit vs a russian,we play one hand,on the second hand i am shocked with the guys play,is this standard play for heads up NL?i have little experience with it this is why i ask,i thought it was teriible,anyway this is the hand..
      me.66
      villian (btn)
      villian raises too 1.50
      i 3 bet too 4.50 OOP
      he flats..flop 6c 2h 8c
      i bet 3/4 pot,he 3 bets,i shove,he calls,
      villian shows j5cc,for a flush draw.
      turn blank,river 3c,making his flush.

now,we are both 100bbs deep and have one hand of history! so can it seriously be standard here too call 3 bet with j5suited pre flop? can this really be beating my 3bet range OOP? and then can j5s still be ahead? i am a heads up noob but this seems to be the play at HU? if hes play was good or standard then can someone tell me how/why this is profitable?
      the call post flop is debatable,he had a draw /equity so not that bad,but pre?:-O
      so basicly,did he play well/standard? in 6 max this would be an awfull play.
  • 4 replies
    • Calanau
      Calanau
      Bronze
      I'm not gonna lie to you, it doesn't matter was it standard play or not. its a Heads Up and that's why his hand was as good as yours. He hit draw and went all in on a draw.

Maybe, you could play it slower, see the turn card, maybe he would not go all in, maybe then you could scare the guy away, but its all maybe (probably not).

If you ask me I'll tell you that that hand was sick and there was nothing (but massive balls on your side that would make you fold your set) to prevent you from loosing your whole stack. you get set, there is no way you will fold it. 99,9999% players wouldn't fold it and that 0,0001% of players who would just went to make a tea.
    • yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Gold
      just get it in on flop, nothing else to do. nh
    • ItsAValueBluff
      ItsAValueBluff
      Bronze
      i suggest that you read up on heads up gameplay and also watch a few vids. calling a 3 Bet with j5s is generally not standard but can be done if the opponent has big leaks postflop (folding way too much) but how can he be oop when he calls the 3bet?? imposdible in heads up. btw 3betting 66 is also just optional and definetly not a standard 3bet cause you cant get more than 1 street of value on most boards and it will be hard to play a weak 1 pair in an oversized pot oop.
    • liguolong
      liguolong
      Bronze
      Just concentrate more on your games, not theirs. If they always make standard play it is very hard for us to make money.