Poker & University

• wnbMG
      wnbMG
      Bronze
      Hi.

I'm PLO50 HU winner and I can make probably at least 10€/h. Average salary in country where I live is around 1k€. I ussually like playing poker (but It's really stressful, even I'm natural stoic).

I'm a freshman studying physics (already second year) and for me it's really hard to play poker and study for university. Because even if I play for like 1h/day I'm thinking almost all day about poker (or my mind is too nervous because of poker) and can't (100%) concentrate on my uni stuff.

I'm thinking about quitting poker till the end of university (another 2 years), try some new stuff in this time (like blogging, programming...) and then reevaluating what is the best for me. What do you guys think?

I think It's really risky to become professional poker player because even if you are making like 5xaverage salary income you have to think about future years and things like: (much) tougher games, new laws about online poker...

(Sorry for my english).

Thanks for advices.

GL
  • 14 replies
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Hello.

In my personal experience I believe that putting poker almost entirely to one side during your studies is the right way to go. Like you, I always found it hard during my studies to apply myself consistently and would end up looking at hands etc. online and thinking about poker when I wasn't playing. And I wasn't even a winning player: I had just caught the bug and was messing around at NL25. In the end I just stopped playing and content myself with watching the occasional video, and my studies really benefited.

I suppose it comes down to whether or not you need the money to support yourself throughout university. If you don't then it's probably worth having a break and trying some other things out there: you'll perform better in school and generally a be a more well-rounded individual, and that's really important both for future career opportunities and for your own future happiness. You're only going to get one chance to have everything you do now available to you -- poker will always be there, more or less. You can always come back to it.

If you are studying physics then I really don't think you need to consider a career as a professional poker player (esp. if you're still at NL50). The safety and satisfaction you will get from (professional career + poker as a hobby) > (poker career). As you noted, there's a lot of risk involved, not to mention the problems you will have returning to decent employment down the line if it goes wrong when a lot of employers (I assume) are not going to be too keen on the large gap in your employment history, even if you were semi-professional in those years.

That's just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you do though, hope you can make it work for you.
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      I like this thread, it's the complete opposite of the usual "should I quit uni and play poker" threads.

I'd say there is no need to quit poker entirely. Just experiment with ways to clear your mind before studies. Firstly I'd say give yourself a schedule. Plan each day for poker time, then a decent break incorporating exercise out something. Then make sure everything poker related is off. Try printing off your notes and shutting your computer off. Then get your study time in. or take your notes to your uni library and study there in a section away from computers.

No need to give up poker if you enjoy it
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bennisboy
      I like this thread, it's the complete opposite of the usual "should I quit uni and play poker" threads.

I'd say there is no need to quit poker entirely. Just experiment with ways to clear your mind before studies. Firstly I'd say give yourself a schedule. Plan each day for poker time, then a decent break incorporating exercise out something. Then make sure everything poker related is off. Try printing off your notes and shutting your computer off. Then get your study time in. or take your notes to your uni library and study there in a section away from computers.

No need to give up poker if you enjoy it
      Yes, speaking personally - giving up stuff cold turkey is quite hard so this approach makes sense if your this way inclined ;)
    • dylboi011
      dylboi011
      Bronze
      hi, i study physics as well at university, first year i played a lot of poker right from the start missed a lot of lectures and almost dropped out, ended up carrying on but failed the year so had to resit. managed to get back on track by attending lectures last year and passed, now into 2nd year i find it much better when i don't play much/any poker, for first time in 3 years or so i had a whole month off poker during exam time and ended up doing really well.
      I still do play a bit because its such good money for me but main thing is balance and if you see it getting in the way of sleep/studies re-evaluate how much you are playing. The extra couple $ you make in those days arent going to change your life longterm.

But yeah i find the main problem this year is whenever i play poker my mind is constantly on it, and it seems you have same problem so i find just not playing at all during the week is the only answer, and cutting it out completely during exams is best way forward.

GL
    • wnbMG
      wnbMG
      Bronze
      Thank you guys for your opinions!
      Originally posted by dylboi011
      But yeah i find the main problem this year is whenever i play poker my mind is constantly on it, and it seems you have same problem so i find just not playing at all during the week is the only answer, and cutting it out completely during exams is best way forward.

GL
      So that means that's the best to play only at weekends (or just 100% quit)?
    • dylboi011
      dylboi011
      Bronze
      Originally posted by wnbMG

GL
      its fine to play weekends or even during week if you need the income, just be honest with yourself if it starts to affect your studies then reduce amount you are playing, in my case it works best if i only play when i have no work to do on weekends, but maybe you could manage better :)
    • wnbMG
      wnbMG
      Bronze
      its fine to play weekends or even during week if you need the income, just be honest with yourself if it starts to affect your studies then reduce amount you are playing, in my case it works best if i only play when i have no work to do on weekends, but maybe you could manage better :)
      i saw u are mid/highstakes player. do you think education is that important that u are almost stopped playing because of it?
    • dylboi011
      dylboi011
      Bronze
      i saw u are mid/highstakes player. do you think education is that important that u are almost stopped playing because of it?
      yeah in my priorities it is. other peoples is different. but for me, i cant see myself playing poker full time as a career and physics is the only real field i could see myself getting a job in plus its super cool and interesting, my main income for the foreseeable future will be poker and after uni i will probably play "full time" while travelling for a bit, but atm its silly to narrow my options to just this game, even if i would make a lot more money in the short term
    • Mat55
      Mat55
      Bronze
      To me, it seems like education would be #1 priority because of some logical reasons.. It's a solid income, as well as it's long term. Poker seems like shaky.. like what happens if you bust and lose all of your money? You won't have a good job as a backup plan, or what if poker becomes illegal where you live, you will have to move to other countries.

If you are looking to play poker full time, it's good to have a back up.
    • wnbMG
      wnbMG
      Bronze

GL
      i don't need income ;)
      do you advise moving down few limits if i play only @weekends?
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      A lot of people have the wrong idea of University. I and I'm sure a lot of other people believed that once you graduate from University and obtain your degree, you'll have a steady paying job and your life will be a lot better compared to a person with a high school diploma or GED.

The truth is a lot of people can't find jobs in their field once they graduate. Is it because their chosen field is very competitive like yours? Yes and because they have no real experience, bad economy, etc.

I'm not saying you should drop out and pursue poker full-time, just don't overvalue a degree like a lot of players at the micro limit overvaluing AKo.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by maythany
      A lot of people have the wrong idea of University. I and I'm sure a lot of other people believed that once you graduate from University and obtain your degree, you'll have a steady paying job and your life will be a lot better compared to a person with a high school diploma or GED.

The truth is a lot of people can't find jobs in their field once they graduate. Is it because their chosen field is very competitive like yours? Yes and because they have no real experience, bad economy, etc.

I'm not saying you should drop out and pursue poker full-time, just don't overvalue a degree like a lot of players at the micro limit overvaluing AKo.
      "And we bust this donkey, overplaying AK as usual" - Water Boat.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      I also play while I go to school and I have for 3 years with moderate success in both school and poker and here are some tips for you:
      1) Dont play at all on the day of an exam
      2) Never use poker as an excuse to skip a lecture
      3) Never use poker as an excuse to skip a social event
      4) Plan ahead and stick to your plans regardless of variance
      5) If you feel a desire to play poker when you know you shouldnt dont be afraid to use the "self exclude" feature offered by most sites
      6) Do not ever play internet poker on campus.

Also there is no shame in taking a 2 year break from poker if you think you need to. Just remember Uni>Poker.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza
      Originally posted by maythany

"And we bust this donkey, overplaying AK as usual" - Water Boat.
      Hilarious video! :s_cool: :s_cool: