Serious EV+ question

• Tosh5457
      Hi, I play with BSS SH on NL10 and there are just too many loose players who don't fold to a cbet. So as preflop raise hands I'm doing AJ+, KQ+ and any PP (I'm not sure about this one being very good, rarely I can take the pot down with a cbet so unless I hit my set it's gone...) on UTG and MP and AT+, KT+ on CO and BU. This is just standard, but if I'm ahead someone's limping range I raise with JT+, QT+ on CO and BU too.

Now when I raise any hand I usually get called and can't take the pot with a cbet unless I'm against a tight player (rare).

Now my question is, do the times I hit and they call, pay off for the times I don't hit and I have to check/fold? The worst thing is that most players actually fold when an ace is on the board, so these players who don't fold to any cbet when I hit a TP with an ace they fold... And time to time I loose to a better hand than my TP or I have to fold, so I'm not sure this is EV+.
  • 3 replies
    • texbball33
      you shouldn't complain about people calling your cbet too much, it gets frustrating, but that's how you make money. players on nl10 assume too much. if you play TAGish poker and these guys see that you raise a few aces, they think that's all you play. so if a low board comes out and you cbet, they're calling. you don't make alot of money on the flop, you make money on the turn and river when guys make mistakes. they chase gutshots, call with bad odds on all kinds of hands and always assume you are bluffing. so just stay TAG and don't get too frustrated when somebody calls you down with a pair of 2's on a high board...that's how you eventually make money...
    • Kruppe
      a) cbet less against those opponents

b) you say they never or hardly ever fold to your cbets, but you also say that they nearly always fold when there is an ace on the flop. that seems strange.

if they always fold when there is an ace on the flop, then they should be folding to your cbets on A-high flops
    • gggeorgio
      I think its definitely still worthwhile to raise a wide range of hands preflop (I'm also playing short stacked currently NL25). If you look at successful players PFR stats they're raising between 14-18% on SH so this includes a pretty wide range, especially on the BU or CO. I agree that you end up loosing a lot of small ish pots, but the same villains that take down a couple of your cbets will very often end up loosing huge pots to your value bets on the turn and river after they assume you're always betting air.

When I started on NL10 SH I had some problems cbetting a bit too much, the adjustment I've made now, is really looking at the flop texture. There are a lot of flops that are great for cbets and other that are terrible for them, and I was wasting too many cbets on bad flops (eg 9JQ with two of the same suit)

hopefully this helps