Have you overcome your mental game problems?

• Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Hi, as some of you might know I produce videos for Finnish community. For my tilt-related series I would like to show some real life tilting problems that have been cured. Everything will be totally anonymous.

If you have had any tilting problems, big or small, and you have found out a specific way to deal and cure them, feel free to add me as a friend with community tool. We can talk more then.

The sooner I get couple of cases, the better it is.
  • 17 replies
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      You should know my Tilt problems a little bit already, but I have noticed that If I play good music and have a cup of coffee, I won't tilt at all, I'll play happier and I can play profitably. Ofc, this have occured only few times, but it's a start :D
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I find that whenever I have a good studying schedule I tilt very little, but once I evetually slip off of it and fall back into my old lazy slob habits I begin tilting off stacks once again.

I think the reasons why it works that way for me is because I'm quick at losing confidence (even tho I've played millions of hands over the years) and run bad makes me doubt myself very quickly, but when I'm constantly studying I become happy each time something questionable happens at the tables because I'll have an interesting spot to figure out later on.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Actually I am looking for cases where someone has made a specific analyzing about the problem, then made a plan and followed that plan.
    • franeczek
      franeczek
      Global
      Originally posted by Kyyberi
      Actually I am looking for cases where someone has made a specific analyzing about the problem, then made a plan and followed that plan.
      Heh I haven't overcome it yet but I was struggling for a long time even with recognition. So basically I wasn't able to spot the tilt while playing (so it was hard for me to even start improving with midset if I wasn't even aware of myself while playing).

So far I have a strategy that contains meditation+ visualisation+ set alarms while playing (20min) to be able to spot it.
      To fight with tilt you have to understand the pattern of how you get to the point that you tilt the money off. There is many people like me for whom that is extremly hard cause they get "lost in the game" and aren't self aware while playing.

Still by no means I can be a test subject cause I struggle with it a lot and slowly bulit the recognition and then trying to fight the problem.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      franecek, I think your spot is something that a lot of players can relate to. Care to add me with community tool?
    • luckyme44
      luckyme44
      Bronze
      I'm not sure if this applies, but I have this certain sequence of steps I'll take to rid myself of tilt.

It all started on Full tilt when rush poker first came out.. I was moving up stakes and the money I would lose during downswings would cause me to make irrational decisions which ultimately made my downswings worse..

I realized that this was a problem and thought that if I corrected it and just focused on always playing my A game (stopping/sitting out Immeadiately if I wasnt) then my BB/100 would be amazing. I constantly kept that thought in mind and eventually when I was playing thats all that mattered to me.. Am I playing my A game? or do I feel the fire starting to burn inside me a little bit... Its so subtle, so to catch it early I have to think about it. My method for "checking in" on the quality of my play was simple..

1. If I lost a substantial pot or even just get sucked out on then I would sit out (rush poker makes that easier than ever) count out 8 breaths and focus really hard on them (sometimes repeat).
      2. think about my play (if it was +EV or not) and then evaluate how I feel right now (mood etc.)... I normally was relaxed enough to keep going but every now and then I would just take a 15 min break and play guitar (a couple of very relaxing songs). By the end of 15 mins of playing guitar I always felt so ready to play.. I realized that if that didnt work then I just wasnt in the mood/right mindset to play at the time.. maybe later or tommorow.

The key for me was accepting variance as part of the game and then learning to embrace it (which is tougher than all hell sometimes). Sorry this is so long but just thought I'd site what has worked for me. I miss FT rush!! Good luck at the tables brothers
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      <3 this thread
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      I wouldn't say I have solved my tilt problems, in fact they're still pretty bad. :f_o:

But, I did develop something that works very well, the only problem is when I'm tilting I often don't remember to do it.

What I would do is imagine myself standing two metres away, watching myself getting angry over a card game on the computer. It would always look super ridiculous from this perspective and often I would just end up laughing and the tilt would be gone.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Helloo?

Is this the right thread?

I cut the power cable to my monitor with scissors and now I can't see anything.

I agree with NightFrostaSS btw.
    • Neurolinguist
      Neurolinguist
      Bronze
      when i feel i dont play well(tilt), i say to myself: Dude, don't play today. You might eat poop and stab a dude. usually works.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      My idea is to have a case problem in the video, and then show how it was handled and how the problems were solved and cured. So I am not looking for some small improvements how someone has handled the tilt but the whole package of problem, recognition and solving it.
    • franeczek
      franeczek
      Global
      Originally posted by Kyyberi
      franecek, I think your spot is something that a lot of players can relate to. Care to add me with community tool?
      I added you via comunity tool. Feel free to PM if you think that my case can somehow help you with your vid.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Lets bumb this up.

I changed the topic to all mental game problems, not just tilt.

So if you have solved, cured or eased your mental game problems and you feel that you can and want to explain the process, please add me via community tool.

I am making a video (in Finnish) about overcoming mental game problems, with real examples. 100% anonymity is quaranteed.
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      I'll reply here rather than drag it out, because I think it's a simple process and that stuff like visualization, meditating, goal setting, mind set coaching etc etc is a sham.

Steps to not tilt

1. Notice (or predict) when you are feeling flustered.

2. Relax, i.e. take a deep breath, focus your attention on executing the next hand. Forget the last one. Perhaps say to your self, "ok that hand is gone, concentrate on the next one".

3. If you can't do that, stop playing. Don't start again until you can.

4. Repeat. Experience matters.
    • muumionu
      muumionu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      I find that whenever I have a good studying schedule I tilt very little, but once I evetually slip off of it and fall back into my old lazy slob habits I begin tilting off stacks once again.

I think the reasons why it works that way for me is because I'm quick at losing confidence (even tho I've played millions of hands over the years) and run bad makes me doubt myself very quickly, but when I'm constantly studying I become happy each time something questionable happens at the tables because I'll have an interesting spot to figure out later on.
      love you :)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by muumionu
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS

love you :)
      Good to know we feel the same way about me. :f_biggrin:
    • martinemem
      martinemem
      Bronze
      Instead of calling it a problem, i would prefer a much more interesting term, challenge ex.

Many non poker related persons struggle extremely on how they react and act to others, and things that dont go their way.

It has never been about finding the problem, because that is kinda obv. Its about finding the solution, with curiosity, and try to understand why it is so hard to accept things as they are, and instead be happy for others, instead of letting the mind go haywire (spelling :D ).

Its actualy all about patience, commitment to finding a solution in a good structured way. Erik stenqvist has some wise words on this saying - by many other things - that it is not cured by beeing result orientated, but about the effort you put in to the challenge.

Sometimes i find myself doing and effort in a paticulary area and completing the challenge 90%, then say to my self it is done, but actually i have come to the conclusion that if a challenge occurs in front of you, and if it is extreme, the best you can do is look how you can use it to your own advantage. Ex: you 24 tabling cg and are up 4 bi kinda fast, i often look the thinnest marginal spots to bluf / valuebet / cr / 4bet light etc.
      Back when i was playing sng, and suffered a big upswing, kinda got me auto adjusting to taking extra advantage of the up swing, which led to unreal up swings, and too long downswings. Literally changed my A game so far away from the original winning game, so that i got unsure if i still beated the sngs.
      And all this leads back to beeing result orientated, which can never be a good thing if you expect something to happen, and then it dont, which leads to tilt in forms of a non acceptance of what was happening, which leads to simple variance. Thinking back what i did on my own before i trained meditation was to keep playing nomatter how hard i tilted, maybe that costed a few bi or 2, but i came to the same conclusion every time playing through tilt, "I am winning in this game, i need to improve, i wont improve into a real boss if i cant control my emotions' took a deep breath, thought what i did wrong, why i did what i did, and why i wasnt focusing on the cards and dynamics accumulating, but instead in my own feelings. All this in a few 3-4 sec, then back grinding like if i just started the session from scratch"

The challenge i closed thinking i've had come out with possitive result, was to structure out ALL grinds, ALL emotions during session (yes that only made it possible to 6 tabling because i was also sitting with pen and paper to write down everytime i thought i was out of balance, how me and my body reacted, and why i thought it came out that way.
      Goals for the session pokerstrategy wise, goals for the session tilt wise on paper everytime before i started.

ATM i tilted horribly yesterday, but i have also been slacking in effort on the challenge of improving as a person and grinder. (The 90% rule of always thinking i am done with the challenge) So now im gonna work a bit before grind today :diamond:

If you are a particular person that tend to get caught up in your own emotions, it can (in my exp) maybe be so extreme that their dont seem to be a cure. But that is like saying, BLA BLA I WONT TILT IF I DONT LOSE WITH SET OVER SET. There is though a way to reverse the tilt, and to find it early enough, so you dont have to quit the session, but instead "tuning" in to the right state of mind. That requires selfobservation and a calm/alert state of mind.

Saying you are cured/dont tilt anymore, is like ignoring a challenge that might cost you in the longrun.
      Some nl1000 players tend to think: ok he just lost i bi so now he might be on tilt, and maybe he defend much lighter if i 3/5bet again in pos this time, he might spazz out and say screw it, and ship it all in, so now i fold my 43s.
      But what if it was possible to play EXACTLY like you did before you lose your bi on bigger stakes? Thats all about giving it a meaning, that dont include results.

Nice thread :P