[NL2-NL10] Q8s bluff catch

• gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $10 (100 bb)
      BB: $8.84 (88.4 bb)
      UTG: $8.12 (81.2 bb)
      MP: $10.42 (104.2 bb)
      Hero (CO): $14.64 (146.4 bb)
      BTN: $12.31 (123.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8 Q
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BTN calls $0.30, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.75) A 8 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.75) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, BTN raises to $0.80, Hero calls $0.40

River: ($2.35) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $2.35, Hero calls $2.35
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey gxtwo,

Preflop is loose, but ok.

I'd be tempted to use my hand as a semi-bluff on the flop. You should not bluff with a good bluffcatcher, but it may be difficult to bluffcatch with a pair of 8s, especially when so many overcards can hit on the turn. Depending on villain you can barrel any Q or 8 for value and/or any diamond as a semi-bluff.

As played I would call flop with your flushdraw. I would tend towards giving villain credit on the river and folding. It's certainly not an unreasonable bluffcatch, villain is basically representing an Ax or better, he never has one pair. He'd have to have checked back an Ace on the flop to have one. Given the flop texture and the fact that you checked, it wouldn't be unreasonable for villain to take this line with an Ace especially a lower Ax.
    • gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      what would be better pair to check the flop?

I didnt really give him credit for the minraise lol.

Felt abit stupid on the river but trying to work on hand reading, and I felt he pretty much has air or Ax
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by gxtwo
      what would be better pair to check the flop?
      Anything with less overcards. TT-KK. Weak Ax. Another bluffcatch line you can take vs wide floaters is to bet flop and then check/call turn.

Originally posted by gxtwo
      Felt abit stupid on the river but trying to work on hand reading, and I felt he pretty much has air or Ax
      Yeah, I agree, his bet is polarizing. He could also have slowplayed 55/88. In terms of bluffs he could have 67 (possibly bets flop) and any diamond draw. If you think he probably bets flop with his draws it's difficult to see what he can be bluffing with by the river.