[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH: J10s

• acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      The villain is a very bad player and is playing with stats 48/5 in 59 hands. I saw him one time check-minraise TPTK on the flop.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($10.17)
      BB ($10.63)
      UTG ($8.72)
      UTG+1 ($5.11)
      CO ($10)
      Hero ($10.40)

Dealt to Hero T:diamond: J:diamond:

fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.30, fold, Hero calls $0.30, fold, BB calls $0.20

FLOP ($0.95) Q:diamond: 4:club: 8:diamond:

BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

TURN ($0.95) Q:diamond: 4:club: 8:diamond: K:diamond:

BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0.60, BB raises to $1.40, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to $2.70, BB calls $1.30

RIVER ($6.35) Q:diamond: 4:club: 8:diamond: K:diamond: 9:heart:

BB checks, Hero bets $3.02

First of all, do you think I should have bet on the flop? Also, do you think it would be better to just call on the turn and raise his river bet?
  • 1 reply
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Acetbfish,

Preflop call is ok. It'd be a lot better if villain wasn't half-stacked.

I'd bet the flop. If UTG+1 was a huuge calling station I might check it back, but you don't really need a lot of fold-equity to make a bet profitable. You also build a pot and can extract more money when you hit a diamond or 9.

When BB check-raises with UTG+1 still to act behind he is usually very strong. Often he has a flush. Sometimes a slow-played set or a misplayed Kx. I doubt he is ever folding to a flop 3bet, you might aswell go immediately for value. I'd probably make it a bit larger so you can comfortably get stacks in on river, around $3.50 perhaps. A $2.70 bet means you will have to overbet unless UTG+1 tags along.

I'd probably just pot river. BB is usually strong. Sometimes he will even have A high flush, but more often something weaker that he doesn't want to fold to any sized bet.