when to c-bet 50%/75%/100% pot

• meoweth
      Just wondering, what are the signs my opponent needs to give for me to know how much to c-bet flops? I see people betting 50%/75%/ and sometimes 100% . I think the answer is to bet the minimum to where you can get ur opponent off a hand, and if he's passive, 50% might do. But then, what about the times when u have a vulnerable hand, do u want to keep it at 50%, even though that might give him drawing odds? But if you all of the sudden increase it, doesnt that give away ur hand strength?
  • 3 replies
    • Skodljivec
      You can't change your sizing based on your hand strenght.

Yo can however change your sizing based on the board structure.

Say the board comes Q :spade: 2 :heart: Q :diamond: ; here you can bet half a pot with your entire range... If you have a queen, or if you have air, cause the opponents will play back with you if they have a queen no matter the sizing; however most will fold if they don't have it.

If the board comes 7 :spade: 9 :heart: T :heart: , then if you are going to cbet you must bet much bigger, cause you want to charge draws when you have a made hand
    • meoweth
      Thanks, good answer. Now what about how much to bet on the river, assuming there is a possible straight and/or flush. Usually I like to bet 50% all 3 streets assuming I've made the nuts on the turn or river, or as a bluff to represent a hand. But, I see videos of pro's playing heads up and they are usually betting pot as both river bluffs and river value bets, not really 50%. Is it just that betting 50% is good for lower limits, while better players know how to exploit that bet sizing with bluff-raises?
    • Kyyberi

I know it's easy to have basic guidelines. But the problem is that especially in PLO the styles and tendencies of villains is very wide. There are HUGE calling stations, HUGE maniacs and everything in between. So if you always go for the basic guideline, you will miss a lot of value against a lot of opponents.

Instead you should work on your thought process. It's not important to know WHAT to do, it's more important to know WHY you do it. It would take quite a long time to write a complete guide how to play postflop with cbets.

The first thing you need o figure out what are you trying to accomplish with your bet. Is it for value? A bluff? Protection? Semibluff? Something else? When you know why you are betting, you can then start to think what would be the best way to accomplish that goal.

I slightly disagree with Skodljivec that you can't change your betsizing according to your hand strength. Balancing is very important concept, but you need to know when it is required and when it will just cost you value. Against recreational players, you don't usually need to have any balance. Just exploit them to the maximum. While against good regs you really need to balance things out or they will exploit you a lot.

As a thumb rule, I would say that if you put your opponent to a draw, and you make a valuebet on turn, bet big. If you make 50% pot bets on turn you just give the odds for opponent to call. And when he has the odds to call, he doesn't make a mistake. And when he isn't making a mistake, you don't really win any money in the long run. As in poker the money you win is basicly your opponents mistakes minus your mistakes. If you make less mistakes than your opponents, you win money. And vice versa.

Just for an example.

Hero: T T 2 2
      Villain: A K 7 7

Board: T Q 3 6

Pot is 100, hero bets 50 and opponent calls. What happens? To make the call, villain needs 25% equity. Now he puts you on a set, so he knows that 3 and 6 isn't his outs. He has 25% equity then. As he has the odds, it means that in the long run that call is EV0 (minus rake). The bet is also EV0 (minus rake) for hero. But when he hits his outs, and makes 1/3 of a pot valuebet on river, can hero fold? If hero makes that call, it means that the turn call is +EV for villain and the bet is -EV for hero.

Of course in reality hero doesn't know villain's cards, but that really shows how those half a pot bets are dangerous when there are multiple draws possible.

If you want to have guidelines, bet half a pot to dry/locked flops and 75% on the rest, unless you have a reason not to.