[NL2-NL10] [SH] NL5 A5s 11-02-13 (zoom)

• Resilence
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $6.50 (130 bb)
      Hero (SB): $6.55 (131 bb)
      BB: $5.20 (104 bb)
      UTG: $2.66 (53.2 bb)
      MP: $5.14 (102.8 bb)
      CO: $17.37 (347.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A 5
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.12, Hero raises to $0.28, BB folds, BTN calls $0.16

Flop: ($0.61) 3 J 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.61) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.34, BTN calls $0.34

River: ($1.29) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.11, Hero folds

How is my resteal atempt, and conituned play?
      Not much info on villain, other than he seems to steal alot out of the few hands I have him on.

I think I should have made my steal a bit bigger .36?

Not the best flop to cbet here imo, villain could have Jx stronger pp's.
      It is rather disconnected but my bet would be total air.

He seemed uninterested, so made a small turn cbet, should I make it stronger or just let it go?

Decided to check, my 55 can't do much here, have a feeling it was J8s :P

• 3 replies
    • kymupa

I don't really have much against 3betting here. We have a decent hand, and we start to make some dynamics.
      I don't like the sizing though - I would make it around $0.4 though.

I don't really mind checking the flop here.
      We have no information about villain, we just have ace high on a semi-connected board and we are OOP. Also, our main intention preflop was to bluff, we didn't succeed so there's no need to go into big fights to take the pot.

As played on the flop, what do you think the turn changes? I can't really see him folding even better Ax here, neither a made hand. Just check and hope to check down.

On the river folding is fine.

• ilidek
      Do you really think 3b 0.4 here with this kind of hand is good? 0.36 don't do the job? What do you think about cb here? Flop is pretty dry, there are 10h in the deck what help us make second barrel. There are 3 Aces what improve our hand, yeah he still may have better ace but what about cb because of 10h in the deck?
    • kymupa

Usually when we are deeper and OOP we should be orientated to 3bet with a bigger sizing since people would be more inclined to call.
      Also, we should not forget that we have to 3bet with the same amount no matter what hand we have.

About postflop, yeah, there are ten hearts that are going to improve our hand, but the thing is that we probably have very little equity on this board - hands like gutshots are almost always continuing, ace highs and some random floats so if we bet here I think we have to bet a lot of turn cards and then probably the river as well. All of this will put us in marginal spots, where we are likely to lose money so in my opinion it is better to just give up.