FerrisWheel

• ferriswheel
      ferriswheel
      Bronze
      Hey guys I've been playing freeroll tournaments for a while now and been playing live poker at mate's places (small buy in tournament style) and would like to improve my poker game playing online. I found this course after reading a bit and am looking forward to giving it a shot, I'll post homework set 1 as soon as I get around to doing it.

Thanks,
      FerrisWheel
  • 5 replies
    • ferriswheel
      ferriswheel
      Bronze
      HOMEWORK 1

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      My motivation for playing poker is my competitive spirit, I've played sports for most of my life, and when I play video games I much prefer PvP strategy games such as Starcraft. I also have a love for money so I'm hoping poker can combine these two for me as I improve.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Playing post flop. I am often bad at judging whether my made hands post flop will win vs my opponents, and often fold as soon as they make an aggressive bet (such as, I always fold two pair when there's a three of a kind that would require only one card in the opponent's hand and they bet).

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight aggressive means to be tight when you have a bad hand (ie, fold) and to be aggressive when you have a good hand (ie, bet/raise)
    • ferriswheel
      ferriswheel
      Bronze
      HOMEWORK 2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      If you know the player likes to play tight, you may try to steal his blinds with weaker hands than on the SHC. Alternatively if you know a player in a complete rock and only plays hands like AA and AK then you may fold hands like JJ/TT to his call/raise.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      Had a hand evaluated: Link

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      According to EquiLab it will be 46.32%
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by ferriswheel
      Hey guys I've been playing freeroll tournaments for a while now and been playing live poker at mate's places (small buy in tournament style) and would like to improve my poker game playing online. I found this course after reading a bit and am looking forward to giving it a shot, I'll post homework set 1 as soon as I get around to doing it.

Thanks,
      FerrisWheel
      Hello Ferris,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      HOMEWORK 1

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      My motivation for playing poker is my competitive spirit, I've played sports for most of my life, and when I play video games I much prefer PvP strategy games such as Starcraft. I also have a love for money so I'm hoping poker can combine these two for me as I improve.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Playing post flop. I am often bad at judging whether my made hands post flop will win vs my opponents, and often fold as soon as they make an aggressive bet (such as, I always fold two pair when there's a three of a kind that would require only one card in the opponent's hand and they bet).

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight aggressive means to be tight when you have a bad hand (ie, fold) and to be aggressive when you have a good hand (ie, bet/raise)
      Homework 1 complete, congrats.

Having a background in more competitive computer games will definitely help you with your poker journey.

The weaknesses you are describing are very common among new players and you are on the right track. By utilizing the PS tools you will be able to improve in the hand reading aspect, and not only.

Best of luck at the tables,

Bogdan
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      HOMEWORK 2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      If you know the player likes to play tight, you may try to steal his blinds with weaker hands than on the SHC. Alternatively if you know a player in a complete rock and only plays hands like AA and AK then you may fold hands like JJ/TT to his call/raise.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      Had a hand evaluated: Link

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      According to EquiLab it will be 46.32%
      Homework 2 complete, congrats !

Q1: In other words information is key. The more information we have the more changes we can make to the SHC.

Q2: Congrats, make sure you keep posting hands that you are unsure about and try to always post your take on the hand as well.

Q3: Did you expect that equity versus 5% of the range (before equilab)?

Best of luck at the tables,

Bogdan