Stealing more blinds a.k.a. Gordon changed my life

• Yanoux
      Yanoux
      Black
      Like many others i ve seen Gordon's video and it inspired me. Cheers mate! So let's make it simple i m going to follow his advices to improve one more time my game.

I m not going to speak much about me over here (ah ah *realizing after reading lines bellow). My point is to move on. Stop procrastinates and study! For the first time of my life, i m going to use a timetable. Google agenda is on. Poker session 2 times a day for almost 5 hours of pure gambling ;)

But practising isn't enough. I need to study my game but mostly my opponent. And then relax : spend sometimes at the swimming pool reading a book, playing squash or whatsoever is going to help find some balance and fun. Which brings me to one of the most important stuff i ve to work on: Mindset. Let's face it i m a fucking pinball machine and when you push it too much... Anyway everybody reading those silly lines knows what i m dealing with.

What else? I m a crazy bot. I did play a while 12+ tables and i m still doing it. The good point is i know what variance means. And i have seen so many situations that i got some good experience knowledge. Bad point: i miss a lot of information. And i never spend much time studying my opponent deeply. At the beginning i was reviewing after each session what i was doing right or wrong mostly in big pots but not only. Never in small ones i was more looking at my stats on each session and tried to figure out what it involved. Then i was simply writing the main mistake on a paper and read it before playing a new session. It was really helpful tough. Why did i stop doing it?

Oh yeah i might say that i played 22/18/7 and now that i m back in the game i m playing 27/22/9. But it doesn't really matter. In fact it does cause most of the times i try to adapt my range depending on the table. I realize that i don't do it always especially during long session. And after let say 40/45 min i could start open too mechanically. So i should definitely not play more than 45 min. Take a break and start again.

You might found my thought quite messy. And to be honest me too. Don't know if it's because i m just writing what i got in mind at the moment or if it's because i m writing Shakespearish tough (By the way feel free to correct me, i m trying to improve my english also). So let's summarize

Statement:
      - My mindset is bullshit
      - I play too much tables
      - I m not studying enough
      - I ve got a lot of experience (over 1million hands)
      - Willing and perseverance are in my vocabulary unfortunately procrastinate too

That’s pretty much it for the moment. Hope you are not bored. Feel free to write it if it the case. Tell me what you would like to read. Give me tips to build a good guideline on how I should organize my studies.
  • 29 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Wow, I've seen so many blogs start because of Gordon's video! It must be worth a watch!

Good luck to you Yanoux :)
    • mihninho
      mihninho
      Bronze
      Good luck with your mindset man.I've also seen gordon's videos sent him a mail, it's my hero, hope he won't disappoint us.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      What is this video you speak of :)
    • Yanoux
      Yanoux
      Black
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Wow, I've seen so many blogs start because of Gordon's video! It must be worth a watch!

Good luck to you Yanoux :)
      Thanks Gary. Could you tell me more about those blogs ? Give me nickname or thread addresses ? Would love to get in touch with other Gordon's challenger.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey just go through the blog titles and you will see most of them from their titles ;)
    • mihninho
      mihninho
      Bronze
      Search raskolnikov on the videos
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      Hi, GL improving your mindset and everythin. I also restarted doing a blog after wathing his videos. Not updating very frequenly, but Im studying a lot more and I'd say that just after reviewing my sessions more deeply and analysing few villains trying to find some leaks I see improvments in my game. Game is more easy and makes more sense.
    • PowerSnoopy
      PowerSnoopy
      Gold
      Hi Yanoux,

Originally posted by Yanoux
      And after let say 40/45 min i could start open too mechanically. So i should definitely not play more than 45 min. Take a break and start again.
      I struggle with that too. After about 1h, I'm loosing patience, start to 2nd barrel in situations where I should better give up or playing on autopilot. Next time I'll set a timer and make breaks every hour, even if that means that I have to serarch for a new table.

Give me tips to build a good guideline on how I should organize my studies.
      The "homework" Gordon proposes in his third video is a good have starting point, at least for me. However more guidance for the analysis of the opponents would be helpful.

Have a nice day.
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      Hi, I writed in my blog how I do the analysis:

Originally posted by jachis
      Today I actually woke up early to do the opponent analysis. 5 opponents in 2,5hours so already faster then yesterday.
      It would be interesting to see how someone else does this analysis. This is how I do it
      1) I choose a villain
      2) I open up his stats and write down everything that I think is exploitable and not normal
      3) Then I select a bunch of hands where villaing got to showdown, and then I go throu them, try to guess what range he can have in each spot and write down notes about lines, betsizes and frequencies
      4)I put all in a note and write a short summarie what will my adjustments be against this villain

It looks like this
      Villain:

Adaptions:
      Stack of lighter on drawy boards as villain is less likley to have a set;
      Valuetown villain with value hands;
      Play more passive with mid'stregth hands as villain does check down;
      Raise some dry boards and see does villain induce easily;
      Put pressure when looks like villain is giving up;
      4bet bluff more BTNvsBB;

Observations:
      Can slowplay set on somewhat drawy board
      Likes to bluffcatch more then valubet himself
      Lines where villain represents little might induce him
      Calls fairly wide vs any position
      Likes to get to showdown

I'd be happy to here how are you guys doing it and together we can tweak it to the max.
    • Yanoux
      Yanoux
      Black
      Little update.

Today i wake up pretty late after having party all night. My body hates me right now. It might needs a week to heal. I also had the very bad idea to look up some pics and vidz that a friend sent me on skype. And i wasn't expecting seeing a grinder having oral sex with a lady-boy before breakfast. Some would say shit happens.

Anyway that's pretty much why i wasn't really let's say useful today. But still i manage to play few hands. I won't talk about results in this blog cause i think it will affect my mindset.

What happen during those 2 sessions. First of them lasted 75 min which is more than i planned to do. But i didn't feel unfocused/tilty or whatsoever until 70 min. Then i felt tired so i choose to close it. The second one lasted 45 min. I m quite proud of me cause i didn't play more than 10 tables i was even mostly playing 9. I felt like controlling everything as i ve enough time to think every spot. Actually i also had lot of time to think of what i was going to write on the blog. That's why i stop the second session ;)

I was playing a lot of NL20/NL30 lately. And now that i build up again. I shot NL50. So i m mostly using general hypothesis and smart guessing. Then a bit of statistics but i don't have more than 300 hands from main regulars. Still not using much of empirical evidence tough. But we will find some later on. Some hands are already marked on HEM and i will try to take the best of it and post it here. So we could work on.

Thanks everyone who's following and giving advice. We are going to start a study group soon so feel free to join if you get into Gordon's challenge. He gave us motivation, let's do the best of it.
    • ilidek
      ilidek
      Bronze
      "And i wasn't expecting seeing a grinder having oral sex with a lady-boy before breakfast. "
      :D
    • Yanoux
      Yanoux
      Black
      $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Holdem
      iPoker
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG Player3 ($50) 100bb
      UTG+1 Player5 ($50.11) 100bb
      CO Player6 ($26.10) 52bb
      BTN Yanoux ($49.25) 99bb
      SB Player10 ($60.38) 121bb
      BB Player1 ($63.29) 127bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.75, 6 players) Yanoux is BTN J:diamond: A:heart:
      2 folds, Player6 raises to $2, Yanoux calls $2, 2 folds

Flop: K:diamond: J:heart: A:diamond: ($4.75, 2 players)
      Player6 bets $2, Yanoux raises to $8.06, Player6 calls $6.06

Turn: 9:diamond: ($20.87, 2 players)
      Player6 bets $2, Yanoux calls $2

River: 3:heart: ($24.87, 2 players)
      Player6 bets $4.50, Yanoux calls $4.50

Final Pot: $33.87
      Player6 shows
      Q:club: A:club:

Yanoux wins $31.68 (net +$15.12)

Player6 lost $16.56

Here is a hand against recreational player. I might be a bit result oriented but i was thinking that i may ve loose a bit of value.

He 's playing 40/12 on 47 hands. Not aggressive post-flop but the sample isn't really relevant. I din't see him donkbet before. WtoSD 50% Anyway that's not the most important hand played.
    • Yanoux
      Yanoux
      Black
      $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Holdem
      iPoker
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG Player10 ($44.82) 90bb
      UTG+1 Player1 ($23.02) 46bb
      CO Player3 ($49.75) 100bb
      BTN Player5 ($46.25) 93bb
      SB Player6 ($44.17) 88bb
      BB Yanoux ($82.01) 164bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.75, 6 players) Yanoux is BB A:heart: 6:heart:
      2 folds, Player3 raises to $1.50, 2 folds, Yanoux raises to $5.50, Player3 calls $4

Flop: Q:heart: 5:club: 8:diamond: ($11.25, 2 players)
      Yanoux bets $6, Player3 calls $6

Turn: 3:spade: ($23.25, 2 players)
      Yanoux bets $12, Player3 folds

Final Pot: $23.25

Yanoux wins $45.75 (net +$22.25)

Player3 lost $11.50

He is a decent player. We played 508 hands together.

My first idea is that i got enough fold equity pre flop as he fold 73% 3bet. I was a bit active on the table but not maniac. I won a nice pot before value-betting a fish with a strong hand. So my guess is that i will get respect and won't be out play much.

When i saw the flop Qxxr i did consider that he wasn't going to fold any 99-JJ on one barrell and i was going to 3 barrel here to try getting a fold from a Q which is also in his range. We are still discovering each other so i can put pression on him on very common spots until he find out that i m able to 3 barrel bluff. His WTSD is also low enough atm but didn't really remember using this stat when played.
    • Yanoux
      Yanoux
      Black
      There is an other spot where i 4bet bet bluff against a regular BTN vs SB he is 3betting 15% from SB i got A3s i don't know much about his fold to 4bet as i played only 384 hands against him but still it's 100% on 2 occurrence so i take the spot. Do you consider it spewy ?

Another play maybe borderline. I played somebody who seems to be a regular only 20 hands played but he is fullstack, he was open raising, no limp or whatevermove that makes me feel against some recreational player. I cold call AQs ip. Flop KTxr he bet i call. turn 8 club. I get my backdoor flush and he is betting a bit less than half pot. Then i assumed that he was more bloc betting and trying to get the pot with a 2nd barrel but with a medium hand like middle pair or a K low kicker. We are CO vs BTN. And i raise.

After reviewing i think i can start analyse 2 players the one i was going to 3 barrel and the one with this 4bet bluff situation. Coming back soon with notes and all.
    • Yanoux
      Yanoux
      Black
      Didn't find much to get from my opponent analysis. I was looking for what Gordon called empirical evidence but i only had 10 hands getting at showdown from my main regular (on 508 hands). I hope that i ll get more information then.

I m writing notes during session like if my opponent fold to overbet (w board texture and action). Or if he change his rhythm like today i was playing a regular in position and i was floating a lot and get a lot of pot on the turn. Then he was often ch/f on flop and took a ch/r line. Don't know if i can use that tough but maybe i will change my float frequency next time.
    • mihninho
      mihninho
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Yanoux
      There is an other spot where i 4bet bet bluff against a regular BTN vs SB he is 3betting 15% from SB i got A3s i don't know much about his fold to 4bet as i played only 384 hands against him but still it's 100% on 2 occurrence so i take the spot. Do you consider it spewy ?

Another play maybe borderline. I played somebody who seems to be a regular only 20 hands played but he is fullstack, he was open raising, no limp or whatevermove that makes me feel against some recreational player. I cold call AQs ip. Flop KTxr he bet i call. turn 8 club. I get my backdoor flush and he is betting a bit less than half pot. Then i assumed that he was more bloc betting and trying to get the pot with a 2nd barrel but with a medium hand like middle pair or a K low kicker. We are CO vs BTN. And i raise.

After reviewing i think i can start analyse 2 players the one i was going to 3 barrel and the one with this 4bet bluff situation. Coming back soon with notes and all.
      Hello so what can i say, first hand what could you do raise or fold so i "think" that it's not bad 4bet bluff you have a blocker and it's a connected hand being suited and all, if he calls you have a lot of boards to put your money in, but also you are dominated with a A high board bg time i "think".

Why you assume at the second hand? You play blind in the hand don't you by assuming? 20 hands you assume he is a regular but what is his openraise from where he PFR?does he bet AA KK TT 88 KT+?You are lucky he folds what do you know? Nothing.
    • pokerprons
      pokerprons
      Bronze
      Hey Yanoux! Nice blog!

I'd be very happy if I could join your skype group. nl50 6max player here.

Unfortunately, I only watched two of Gordon's videos back when I was playing tracked on WH and had gold status here.

As for AJ hand, you can always at least click back his river block bet and get another 4.5$ since he is calling that 100% of the time. Of course you can make it a little bigger to get more value or put in a small re raise on the turn. That's my 2c :)

Cheers!
    • ilidek
      ilidek
      Bronze
      I've sent you na invitation about this group.
    • nokifpp
      nokifpp
      Bronze
      Just watched Gordons video and it all makes so much sence. Gl with the project!