My Collection of Interesting Hands

• spreeboy
      spreeboy
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

Recently, I have made it a habit to save some of my interesting hands on Pokerstar's boom hand re-player and I would watch them after my sessions. Problem is, I would not be able to record the thought process of my plays so I have decided to create my own thread here and use it as some sort of a diary. Feel free to drop by and comment on my plays if you find it worth your time. I play at 5NL in pokerstars.

After cutting down to 6 tables, I have learned to appreciate poker even more and able to see profitable spots that I could have never seen before while 12 tabling.

Below are two examples of big plays I made today, along with my thought process. These plays might be common to some of you guys at higher stakes but at my level where regulars play mostly straightforward, I find these hands a little bit interesting.

============================================================
      Hand#1

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $4.75
      BB (Hero):
      $5.74
      MP3:
      $9.51
      CO:
      $3.71
      BU:
      $4.93

Preflop: Hero is BB with T, Q.
      MP3 raises to $0.15, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.32) 6, 3, 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: ($0.32) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.25, MP3 raises to $0.80, Hero raises to $1.65, MP3 calls $0.85.

River: ($3.62) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.94, MP3 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.62.

Reasons and thought process when I pulled the bluff:
      1. I was up against a thinking player who is capable of folding.

2. The flop texture hurts his first-in open range in MP3 as he opens tighter here according to my HUD.

3. His flop check shows weakness or he may intend to pot control hands with showdown value. I am sure that he is not checking back any flush draws here.

4. I lead turn and his 3bet seems like an info raise, so I went ahead and 4bet.

5. He called my 4bet and I thought he likely has a big over pair with a flush draw. I discounted all sets and two pairs as he would not play it this way, so I was not worried if the river card will pair the board and he improves to a full house. Hence, I was comfortable representing a flush.

6. River is another good card for me, and my stack is still big enough to bluff shove.

Interesting situations like this happens a lot of times at the tables. Spots where we could take advantage of villain's tendencies and breaking point.

==============================================================
      Hand #2

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $23.13
      BB:
      $5.20
      MP2:
      $12.17
      MP3 (Hero):
      $12.66
      CO:
      $8.01
      BU:
      $5.15

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q, 9.
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, CO folds, BU raises to $0.45, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.33.

Flop: ($0.97) 9, J, J (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.61, Hero calls $0.61.

Turn: ($2.19) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1.61, Hero calls $1.61.

River: ($5.41) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, BU raises to $2.45, Hero raises to $4.40, BU calls $0.03.

Final Pot: $12.29.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, jacks and nines(Q 9).
      BU shows a pair of jacks(K Q).

Hero wins with two pairs, jacks and nines(Q 9).

My thoughts on villain:

Villain is a very good player, in fact he is the only player I labeled "red" (dangerous players) for the day. He is about 17/14 and really knows how to punish weak players. I have him on four of my tables and is already up ~50BB on three of them. I usually give credit to his 3bets because of his TAGish VPIP/PFR and will only fight back with strong hands. I carefully studied his play and was able to accumulate 300+ hand samples. I realize that he is 3betting 25% BTN and about 12% at the CO. He is trying to create a tight image by not opening wide, but he is actually a 3bet happy in position... squeezing and 4betting clueless players.

My thought process of this hand:
      1. I started to adjust by 2.5BB open-raising hands with good post flop playability instead of my standard 3BB open, hoping to build a smaller pot on the flop if he chooses to 3bet. However, in this hand villain made it 9BB, still I decided to call to see the flop.

2. I figure that I could be ahead a lot of times on this dry, paired flop and he will likely cbet 100% of his range here, so I decided to call.

3. Turn card does not change anything that much so I decided to call. I thought about 3betting (but he might shut down), so I decided to call and let him bet river for me since he is likely to 3-barrel based on his tendency. The only cards that would make my situation shitty are A and K. I block a Q so I am not too worried about it.

4. But my biggest surprise for him is my plan once a brick hits the river. I decided to donk minbet to create a somewhat questionable play. I am a big fan of donkish river min-bet if I believe I beat villain and if I think his hand is too weak to pay another bet. At 5NL, people seems to have a problem with this kind of play. There is no way a 2nd pair would fold to to a 10-15% river bet thus we could extract more value from our winning hands. On top of that, missed draws and A-high hands may decide to 3bet as what happened to this hand.
  • 2 replies
    • schelleXL
      schelleXL
      Silver
      For the 2nd hand : why do you exclude any Jx combo's in his range.

If he would have a J he would play exactly the same way I think and take away the pot easily

I mean, I don't play that long but that would be the way I think about this hand.

But nice explained and first hand is perfectly played bluff.
    • spreeboy
      spreeboy
      Bronze
      Hi schelleXL,

Thank you for dropping by.

Jx hands only makes up about 20% of villain's 25% 3bet range. Also, the % that villain holds a J is somewhat slim since two Js are dealt on the flop. Of course sometimes villain will show Jx at showdown, and there is nothing we can do about it.

But knowing the fact that villain is capable of this line of play with Ax, small PP, and small suited connectors, then bluff-catching with 2nd pair makes sense.

:)