[NL20-NL50] NL25 SH: 2pair on drawy board, freeplay from the BB

• Philipvw
      Philipvw
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      CO:
      $23,98
      SB:
      $4,97
      MP2:
      $25
      Hero:
      $34,81
      BU:
      $10,29
      MP3:
      $15,58

0,10/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:club: , 9:club:
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0,25, CO calls $0,25, BU folds, SB calls $0,15, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1,00) 9:spade: , Q:diamond: , J:spade: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0,80, MP3 folds, CO calls $0,80, SB raises to $1,60, Hero raises to $5,00, CO calls $4,20, SB raises to $4,72 (All-In).

Turn: ($15,72) 4:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $10, CO raises to $18,73 (All-In), Hero calls $8,73.

River: ($53,18) 5:diamond:

Final Pot: $53,18
  • 3 replies
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Hi Philip,
      I would play it the same way - it may be a marginal hand, but I can't let go of top+bottom 2 on such a drawy flop. With bottom 2, i would just call the minraise and give up to heavy action on later streets, but this looks like a shove to me.

Regards,
      Craig
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Well, playing 2p for a stack in unraised pot will be often very very marginal. With bottom 2p it will be likely a mistake.
      However, every situation is specific) and i think im easily going broke in this one.

Reasons:

Given the board structure, we can eliminate any set from CO's range, he would raise 99-QQ preflop
      KT-QJ is a raise pf very often as well

what's left is T9, JT, J9, QT, some smaller fd's and combos
      the only thing that beats us is T8, but i doubt he just calls it on such a board, if its not T8 of spades
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Hi Philip,

this a pretty ugly and marginal situation. It looks like SB is slow-playing his monster. Co looks pretty weak and he might have a draw, but we can't really say. In my opinion it is best to reraise on the flop and go broke, but it's still marginal. You should reraise bigger though, something like $6-$7 in order to not give Co the right odds to call. If you reraise, you have to go broke on any turn-blank.
      alternative: call flop and c/f if you don't hit your boat on the turn against action.

I prefer to go broke due to the board structure though.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar