Hi, I'm a new coach for PokerStrategy

• GlitlrPS
      GlitlrPS
      Basic
      Hey, everyone. I'm happy to be a new member and coach at PokerStrategy. Let me introduce myself.

Before you read on, be prepared to read one of the craziest stories that has ever happened to someone in online poker. When you read it, you'll know what I mean.

My name is Matt, I'm 27, married and have a new son:) . I played poker professionally from 2008 - Black Friday. I live in California, so when Black Friday hit, I lost my job. I did pretty well in poker before then (feel free to check out my results by Sharkscoping "Glitlr").

I primarily played 9 mans, 18s, 45s, 180s, and MTTs of all speeds with mainly stakes of $15, but ranging anywhere from $2-$38.

Everything was great in poker, until - our favorite day (NOT!) - Black Friday. But for me, Black Friday was different than for most. The reason is that the night before on April 14, 2011 around 5pm I signed some papers. You see, these papers weren't just any papers. They were papers to buy a house. I had worked so hard in my poker career to earn my biggest goal of buying a house AND I DID IT! I bought a house in California from low stake SNGs. I don't know how many people can say that. But, don't worry, it's not as glamorous as it sounds. It was only a mere 17 hours later...and my world came crashing down around me when I found out about Black Friday at about 10am the next morning. I had achieved my ultimate goal, and then had everything ripped away.

Let me tell you, you learn A LOT about poker when this happens. Everything starts to make sense on a much more deeper level.

Since Black Friday, everything has somewhat fallen into place. Now I coach full time, and since BF I've gotten married and started a family. But, still, I can't forget that day.

I have an interesting perspective on poker - one that most people don't have. Because in order to have it, you HAVE to experience it. I know what it's like to be ON THE OTHER SIDE of the long run. How many poker players do you know who are on the other side? I'd estimate none. You all can still play! And I'm so happy for each and every one of you.

What you will see in my content (videos or live coachings or any advice) is that of a poker player with wisdom, maturity, and real life experience on what poker truly is. My experience gives me a unique perspective, and I hope from my misfortune that I can teach all of you to have a better understanding of this great game in a more deep intellectual and emotional level.

I hope you all enjoy my story! It sure is a weird one.

Side note: I'm one of the nicest poker players you'll ever meet. I don't hold anything back. So if you want to ask anything, be my guest!

I'm happy to now be a coach for PokerStrategy!

...oh, and I got the house in the end:)
  • 25 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey Matt, awesome name you have there =)

An interesting story, that's for sure, I'm glad you managed to resolve the issues and start a family though!

So I take it your income is now Coaching and not playing?

Welcome to PokerStrategy and I hope you enjoy your stay!
    • Atalol
      Atalol
      Bronze
      Hello,
      first of all it's nice to have you. Second, what was so important you learned bout poker? Can you share your thougts in this thread or you will in your movies? How can you be a coach and not play poker? You mindset trainer?

P.S. I'm not hattin, i'm just curious. Great to have you :f_thumbsup: and sory for my english im at work dont have time to check if its correct and it's my second language.
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      Welcome Matt,

I have been reading your blog for a while and think it is fantastic that you have joined the team here at pokerstrategy :)

I can't wait for some material from you, are you looking to add to the 45 - 180 material that is already on the site?

Best of Luck

Gentari :s_cool:
    • GlitlrPS
      GlitlrPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by ThatGuyMatt
      Hey Matt, awesome name you have there =)

An interesting story, that's for sure, I'm glad you managed to resolve the issues and start a family though!

So I take it your income is now Coaching and not playing?

Welcome to PokerStrategy and I hope you enjoy your stay!
      woops, im a "quote" fish

Hey, nice name you have too! Your parents are very smart people.

For material, I've already submitted my first video (9 man HU play non push/fold situations) and I hope to contribute stuff on every topic imaginable.

Happy to be here!

Yes, coaching is my primary income.
    • GlitlrPS
      GlitlrPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Atalol
      Hello,
      first of all it's nice to have you. Second, what was so important you learned bout poker? Can you share your thougts in this thread or you will in your movies? How can you be a coach and not play poker? You mindset trainer?

P.S. I'm not hattin, i'm just curious. Great to have you :f_thumbsup: and sory for my english im at work dont have time to check if its correct and it's my second language.
      Hey. Nice to be here, ty!

What I learned from Black Friday is the deep meaning of poker. It's too much to type here but I will for sure be explaining in videos.

I am a coach and not a player (anymore). It's like a great basketball player who turns coach after he retires. I think I'm a better poker player now (by a lot) than when I could play. I do play on Merge from time to time still though, but not even close to how often I used to play on Stars.

English..you speak well!
    • GlitlrPS
      GlitlrPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Gentari
      Welcome Matt,

I have been reading your blog for a while and think it is fantastic that you have joined the team here at pokerstrategy :)

I can't wait for some material from you, are you looking to add to the 45 - 180 material that is already on the site?

Best of Luck

Gentari :s_cool:
      all material! I coach every format and every speed so I am down to teach whatever pokerstrategy wants me to!
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      Hey Matt,

Nice to have you on the PS coach team. I really enjoyed your FR coaching vids from back in the day, I am sure your MTTSNG material will be valuable to the community.
    • janushr
      janushr
      Bronze
      do you still do private coachings also or...welcome:)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze

Welcome Matt, sorry I couldn't resist!
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      Ok i can be your 1st student here on PS.And ... i will not charge you ! :pokerface:
    • yoshiwa
      yoshiwa
      Bronze
      Hi and welcome to the team.

Ill start of with somewhat of a question for you to reply on: alot of people are in doubt how to think on ppl (USA) being solid regs pre-BF , but eversince have not (or very low volume) played hands.

How do you think about this 'problem' , and why/how are you still driven to be up to date on current metagame/tablefeel/ ...
    • GlitlrPS
      GlitlrPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by martoman2k10
      Hey Matt,

Nice to have you on the PS coach team. I really enjoyed your FR coaching vids from back in the day, I am sure your MTTSNG material will be valuable to the community.
      :) i hope you will all love it
    • GlitlrPS
      GlitlrPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by janushr
      do you still do private coachings also or...welcome:)
      Yes, it's my full time job:)
    • GlitlrPS
      GlitlrPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle

Welcome Matt, sorry I couldn't resist!
      I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! door matt;)
    • GlitlrPS
      GlitlrPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by EnterG
      Ok i can be your 1st student here on PS.And ... i will not charge you ! :pokerface:
      :) hopefully you guys will learn a lot of new stuff:)
    • GlitlrPS
      GlitlrPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by yoshiwa
      Hi and welcome to the team.

Ill start of with somewhat of a question for you to reply on: alot of people are in doubt how to think on ppl (USA) being solid regs pre-BF , but eversince have not (or very low volume) played hands.

How do you think about this 'problem' , and why/how are you still driven to be up to date on current metagame/tablefeel/ ...
      Hey, thank you. Glad to be here. Great question, here's my response...

I teach poker about 30hours/week so I think I have a better feel for poker now than I ever did before. Teaching someone requires much more understanding than just playing, because to actually make someone learn requires a FULL understanding of every single thing. I've never been a poker player like "use this chart" or "use these basic ranges." I teach people how to think for themselves so they can adapt to any situation they see. Having an open mind allows a player (and me) to continuously have a feel for any type of metagame/tablefeel/etc etc.

If I could play poker now against my pre-BF skill, I'd (for lack of an appropriate word) kick my pre-bf ass;) .
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Your expertise is primarily in MTT's, but does your knowledge extend to Cash too?
    • GlitlrPS
      GlitlrPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by ThatGuyMatt
      Your expertise is primarily in MTT's, but does your knowledge extend to Cash too?
      I love post flop play and have a very strong grasp of it. Even though I didn't play too many cash games while on PokerStars, I definitively can handle it:) .
    • BLOWMEBABE
      BLOWMEBABE
      Bronze
      Hi Matt, it's great to see you and I'm looking forward to your coaching videos and strat... hold on a sec.. phuck I'm bronze, coz pokerstartegy de-tracked FTP, **** it.