Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:diamond: K:club:

Hero raises to 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (7.5 BB, 2 players) 5:diamond: Q:club: T:spade:
      Hero bets 5 BB, MP calls 5 BB

Turn: (17.5 BB, 2 players) 4:diamond:
      Hero checks, MP bets 17.5 BB, Hero calls 17.5 BB

River: (52.5 BB, 2 players) 6:club:
      Hero checks, MP checks

Hero shows Q:diamond: K:club: (One Pair, Queens) (Pre 40%, Flop 75%, Turn 86%)
      MP shows A:club: J:diamond: (High Card, Ace) (Pre 60%, Flop 25%, Turn 14%)
      Hero wins 49.9 BB

35 hands VPiP 31, PFR 11, he called once 3bet IP with JQo which tells he is fish

I usually cbet with top pair good kicker, and check call turn and river for pot control, and it is good against floaters who pay more often then line bet bet bet. Also I think it is good for deception, because I play with air the same way on turn check/fold. If the board is draw heavy I would bet bet check call on blanks.

In this situation, it was a tought spot, when he bets pot size. I still thought he was bluffing because with nuts I showed weakness so he wouldnt try really to scare me. What if he shoves river, or bets again pot size? Should I call? He could do that with fd on turn, or AJ, KJ, AK, 9J.
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

I usually cbet a lot less so given positions I woudl start bluffcatching from the flop not the turn while facing a wider and more air heavy range. Sure, this guy can float but you see he didn't float that weak. He blocks AA, AQ, has some equity so it's a perfectly reasonable flop float although I doubt the preflop call profitability.

My point is people make less mistakes when you cbet and check turn than when you check flop as PFR.
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Gold
      But the difference is, that if I cbet this flop he calls with KJ, AJ, AT, AK, 9Js, and then when I check turn he almost always bets turn, and sometimes bets river if aggro so I get 3 bets with my medium hand.

If I check flop on this board, I notices people usually check back, because I should cbet this board with almost all hands (Q high, and T) and expect PP and suited connectors to fold which are most of hands in his calling range. If villian decides to bluff flop, I doubt that he bluffs turn and river, so in best case I get 2 bets.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mlatasrb
      But the difference is, that if I cbet this flop he calls with KJ, AJ, AT, AK, 9Js, and then when I check turn he almost always bets turn, and sometimes bets river if aggro so I get 3 bets with my medium hand.

If I check flop on this board, I notices people usually check back, because I should cbet this board with almost all hands (Q high, and T) and expect PP and suited connectors to fold which are most of hands in his calling range. If villian decides to bluff flop, I doubt that he bluffs turn and river, so in best case I get 2 bets.
      If you rep a weaker hand by checking and a capped ranhe, why do you think villain won't try to bluff you but would do so when you have an uncapped range? If you think people call so weak vs MP and your KQ is very strong you played it well, I just think KQ is a lot weaker than you think in this spot. MP flat with AK, QQ+ is more and more common now so I would take a few combos of those hands into account. Plus you say he is a fish for calling QJo IP vs a 3bet which is not always true at all. Given that he would be a fish, in your spot I would elect to continue barreling for value.
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Gold
      [quote]Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Originally posted by mlatasrb

MP flat with AK, QQ+ is more and more common now so I would take a few combos of those hands into account.

Would you also suggest me to call with AK, QQ from MP, or CO against EP, or MP? I usually dont like to do it because there is a big chance to play it 3way, and then QQ+ is not that strong as in 3bet pot.
      Sometimes it might be good, if players behind me sqeeze a lot, so I can push and my hand looks weak?
    • Desultory
      Desultory
      Basic
      It depends on what EP-MP opens and what their fold to 3bet is. Vs a tight reg, calling it can be better but 3betting AK and QQ as standard for value, especially at this level is more than fine as people will likely call too much pre with more hands that you dominate.

If I call and get squeezed, shipping over depends on villain again - If he 3bets a lot its fine. If he doesn't its difficult. So therefore I prefer to be the aggressor and 3bet pre.

In regards to how you played this hand. I actually think you played it fine and I think cbetting then checking turn is better than checking flop vs this recreational type player. He looks passive, so I wouldn't expect him to start barreling off vs us with worse hands. He might check back his gutshots and midpairs that we get a bet from on the flop.

If he bets weakpairs vs a check then checking is better, but we don't know any of this, so either cbetting OR checking is likely to be fine and down to preference. I wouldn't advocate one or the other specifically.

I imagine Emmanuel will check more than me in spots and his cbet will be lower because of that. Which is better is arguable. We both profit long term. But I don't want you to think you have to check every time you get top pair good kicker.