cold calling AA KK with fish in the blinds?

• 7 replies
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      As long as they are going to raise a huge % of the time it's ok.
      But if you never limp then of course its going to look extremely obvious.

If its like sb vs bb or something limping in is terrible, because you lose value since their calling range is wide anyway and can sometimes let them hit huge hands with trash and because they're a fish its very unlikely to fold AA.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      His talking about cold calling not limping. This mean someone has opened before him and he doesn't want to 3bet to blow the fish out off the pot.

And yes it is better to called call AA and KK in a lot of spots, it depends on different factors. Fish in the blinds is a good one to just flat to keep him in the pot, if you have a total whale in the BB thats never gonna fold anything then just 3 betting is fine.

Its also better to flat in spots where your range is very tight. Especially in FR games i see ppl 3betting AA and KK vs UTG and MP where their 3bet % is under 2%, pretty much announcing the whole table that they have the nuts and everyone just folds vs them(or setmines and stacks them) Either way playing your hand so face up is not getting you max EV.

Another reason to flat is if you have agro players that like to squeeze to act behind you, or when your opponent fold to 3bet is really high.

There's always a ton of factors to consider when it comes to make decisions on the table :)
    • ItsAValueBluff
      ItsAValueBluff
      Bronze
      yeah calling when someobe has a high fold to 3bet with decently aggressive regs behind you iz definetly max ev
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ItsAValueBluff
      yeah calling when someobe has a high fold to 3bet with decently aggressive regs behind you iz definetly max ev
      this.... i tend to do this quite a lot in these spots but im just having some problems when it comes to what to do after the squeeze.... flat or backraise/stackoff?

with backraising i could potentionally rep some 88-TT, AQ so he might jam pretty light, but i think 100bb deep it looks pretty obvious.... what do you do here? just flat every time?
    • ItsAValueBluff
      ItsAValueBluff
      Bronze
      i have never thought about what the best default is i generally use all options (flatting 4bet/calling+folding amd shoving) depending on villian. ill write sth more detailed when i come home since im on my phone right now.
    • liguolong
      liguolong
      Bronze
      I would 3bet unless the stacksize is short. It also protects your 3bet range more. As in I 3bet bluff quite often, so need AA, KK type hands to balance. Another reason I want to 3bet those is that e.g. we could get more value from hands like QQ, JJ etc if we 3bet. If we call, and A or K comes on flop, we can't get much value anymore.
    • Jan217
      Jan217
      Bronze
      Originally posted by liguolong
      I would 3bet unless the stacksize is short. It also protects your 3bet range more. As in I 3bet bluff quite often, so need AA, KK type hands to balance. Another reason I want to 3bet those is that e.g. we could get more value from hands like QQ, JJ etc if we 3bet. If we call, and A or K comes on flop, we can't get much value anymore.
      You only need to balance vs opponents that pay attention, and there's really not many of those around until midstakes.

The tighter the initial raiser the more inclined I'd be to 3bet with AA/KK since having them check fold AK on 25Q when you could have got it in pre is a disaster. (If they are just calling AK OP rather then 4betting then its closer and calling AA to let fish/squeezers in becomes decent again)