BTN: $2.66
      SB: $2.09
      BB: $4.00
      UTG: $1.46
      MP: $4.85
      Hero (CO): $6.68

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero is CO with A :diamond: 5 :diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.16, BTN calls $0.16, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.38) A :heart: J :heart: 9 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.25,
      BTN folds

Final Pot: $0.38
      Hero wins $0.11
      (Rake: $0.27)

I have a lot of questions about this hand. I pretty much feel like a total beginner still and am trying to get the hang of post-flop play according to the basic strategy article. The answers probably involve some higher level strategy, however and I’m not sure whether I should start reading the advanced strategy articles before I feel comfortable / master the basic post-flop play.

BTN is very loose pre-flop and pretty loose after the flop. He likes to min-bet or bet 2BB. I haven't seen him re-raise yet. If he's been paying attention he knows I'm tight (playing according the chart.)

Do I bet the flop? If so, how much should I have bet? I know I have a weak hand but feel I need to protect it. I'm sure that if I check, he bets (2BB) and I have to fold. He would probably also do so if he only hit a 9 or a J.

I know I should fold if he raises.

If he calls and a blank comes on the turn, do I bet again or check-fold?

If he calls and a flush or straight card comes on the turn. Do I bet again or check-fold?

If he calls a turn bet and a blank comes on the river do I bet? (Okay I realize that speculating about a river here is a bit much perhaps.)

OMG! The agony of being out of position! ;-)

Thanks for your time!
  • 1 reply
    • kymupa

It's great that you have so many questions - that means that you are looking forward to improve your game as soon as possible. Keep this going.

Now to the hand:

Preflop raising is good.

On this flop cbetting is definitely good. There are quite a lot of worse hands that would call us - like Jx/9x/FD/gutshots and even if he folds we are happy to pick up the pot.
      About the sizing - you can make it a little bit bigger - like $0.28-$0.3.

If he call us here and a blank turn comes (such as 6s), I think we can bet again against the draws and Jx since it is likely for him to call us again, considering him being a fish.

If the turn completes the flush or it is something like Q, I would consider check/folding here.
      I doubt that there are many worse hands to call us here.

If he calls the blank turn and a blank comes on the river I won't bet. I don't feel like there are many worse hands to call us and it quite much depends on whether or not you think he bluffs with missed draws.
      I would usually check/fold here without information (of course if he bets 2bb we aren't folding).

Hope you find this useful.
      If you have any further questions feel free to ask and press the "Advice the judge to have a second look" button so I can come back and evaluate it.