UTG+2: $4.00
      MP1: $4.00
      MP2: $3.58
      CO: $6.05
      BTN: $1.80
      Hero (SB): $6.98
      BB: $4.02

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero is SB with 9 :club: 9 :heart:
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.04, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.04, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.02, BB raises to $0.20, UTG+1 calls $0.16, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.16

Flop: ($0.64) T :diamond: 5 :club: T :heart: (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks

Turn: ($0.64) 2 :diamond: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.48, BB folds, UTG+1 folds

I don't know anything about either opponent yet.

Should I have bet the flop for protection, for value or not at all?

Thanks!
  • 3 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Usually your hand is good enough to raise preflop, but if you feel like you don't have much fold equity and don't like playing this OOP in a raised pot then I don't have anything against limping.
      When BB raises calling is fine.

On the flop checking is fine. What would you do if BB bets?

As played, I think betting the turn is good here.
      We would love to pick up the pot plus there is a FD now and probably some PPs might call us too.

Nice hand.

Best,
      Plamen
    • DraakG
      DraakG
      Bronze
      Hi Plamen,

I think I should fold if BB bets the flop. That is probably a very weak play, but I feel I should do so since I haven't shown any agression during the hand and I don't feel very comfortable with my OOP play yet. I would fear a higher pocket pair mostly but any high card that would come on the turn or river would also scare me.

That being said it probably would have been stronger and given me more info if I bet the flop.

One more question: I do sometimes feel i should raise with medium pocket pairs pre-flop but I try to follow the starting-hand chart as much as possible right now. Can you tell me a bit on why and when I should raise with this hand pre-flop? Especially since there was already a caller and I'm OOP it might turn sour quickly. You can also direct me to a good article if it's to much work.

Thanks a lot!
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hey,

If he bets the flop I have no problems folding here.
      First, we don't have information that he bluffs on the flop being three-way a lot, and most of the turn turn cards will be not good for us, plus we are OOP.

Basically, we should raise preflop with this hand if we feel comfortable playing this hand OOP in a single-raised pot.
      Also, we should be aware of several factors:
      - how much they fold preflop - if they limp/fold a lot then we can take the pot preflop a lot
      - how much they fold against cbets - how often we will pick up the pot postflop with a cbet. If they don't fold a lot this might be a problem since we are likely to have trouble playing postflop.