One Bet At A Time - 2014...Incredible [Boomer2k10's Blog]

• Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Warning!!

Contain's LHE and a British Accent!!

Ok you've been warned, it's your fault now :s_evil:

Hi everyone and welcome to something I should have done ages ago...now updated for 2014

I'm finally opening a blog here on Pokerstrategy.com

First a little bit of background's always in order:

I'm pretty much called Boomer by everyone, even irl and to be honest considering the names you can get attached to you while in school at 13 years old this one's not a bad one.

I'm 31 years old :f_cry: and live in Cheshire, England.

Up until recently I worked in Accounts at a fairly large company in the UK and before that I graduated from Birmingham University with an Honours Degree in Chemical Engineering and Biochemical Engineering. Unfortunately it's not the 1970's anymore and UK Engineering is on it's ass so I ended up transferring to Accounts where I thought I'd make my career.

While I was working full time I'd had decent success at the Poker Tables. I've played Fixed Limit since I started and in 2009 with the help of a coach who obviously had a lot of patience I ended up with a winrate across all stakes I played, up to 3/6 of well over 2BB/100. Games were very good back then :f_biggrin:

I was accepted as a coach at Pokerstrategy in October 2010 and since then have been making FL videos for the site and in November last year I was bought on board as one of the Educational Co-ordinators for the English Community so hopefully you'll be seeing a bit more of me

In my time away from the tables I'm a bit of a car enthusiast, not to the point I have adenoids and drone on incessantly about how by modified Ford Mondeo is faster from 0-60 than a Ferrari but I've owned 4 Alfa Romeo's in my life so whether that's enthusiastic or just plain masochism I'm not sure, but I love the things.

I also have a Youtube Channel (Boomer2k6) which I currently use to do Video game Let's Plays but I will also be using for Vlog and maybe even some poker purposes in the near future

From my Youtube links you'll also see I'm , shamelessly, a Magic the Gathering player (plays at the World Championships in 2006) and recently have started another channel for that purpose covering events (CaravelGaming) so if you ever need more Britishness combined with cards, there you go :)

Now Updated to 2014:

Follow from here as the 2014 adventure gets underway

Ok so with that all said I hope you guys enjoy following the blog, I look forward to chatting with you guys and bringing you in, not only to the poker, but to what I've been doing away from the tables as well

Take Care Guys, Boomer
  • 203 replies
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Might as well begin with where I'm up to

SUSTAINABLE!! :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

Or could all be undone in a day...fun isn't it? :f_biggrin:
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      YAY!

I'm so glad you've decided to do this. I have watched all your videos and even though I no longer play fl (due to my incredibly poor ability to instill your knowledge to my actual game) I have always enjoyed your thought processes and overall outlook on the game.

I will be following and look forward to you reaching your goals.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Good luck Boomer2k10!
      Bronze
      good luck.. im still on trying to get to 25/50c :( and here you go and will no doubt 100% go and beat all the stakes your going to play. bahh.. hehe

good luck and looking forward to see more updates.
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Boomer2k10

Or could all be undone in a day...fun isn't it? :f_biggrin:
      *Ahem*

For 200 hands it was :D

Ran 35/46 at SD for the 500-hand sesson but overall can't be too upset about how things went considering my SD winnings didn't get above 0 for 450 hands :)

Just something to get used to

For now though with my 1st session of the day down, time to record some gaming videos :f_biggrin:

• Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Gonna post a couple of hands I'm going to go over from today, hope to formalise this porcess a little more in the future

Hand 1

Poker Stars, $0.50/$1 Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Preflop: Hero is CO with J 8
      MP folds, Hero raises, BTN 3-bets, 2 folds, Hero calls

Flop: (7.5 SB) 8 5 J (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets, Hero raises, BTN calls

Turn: (5.8 BB) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets, BTN raises, Hero 3-bets, BTN calls

River: (11.8 BB) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets, BTN calls

Results:
      13.8 BB pot (0.4 BB rake)
      Final Board: 8 5 J 9 Q
      Hero showed J 8 and won 13.4 BB (6.9 BB net)
      BTN mucked K K and lost (-6.5 BB net)

In this hand everything is standard until the turn 3-bet. I'm wondering if this is spew on my behalf, and I guess it's all regarding his turn raising range and even if I add in some bluffs which probably aren't in his range it turns out it is spew

Board: 8:spade: 5:club: J:club:  9:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     49.45%  49.45%   0.00% { Jh8h }
      BU     50.55%  50.55%   0.00% { 99+, QTs, JTs, 98s, KcQc, QTo }

So a case of "Turn out right but doesn't me the play's right"

Hand 2

Poker Stars, $0.50/$1 Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

Preflop: Hero is MP with 6 6
      UTG folds, Hero raises, CO folds, BTN 3-bets, 2 folds, Hero calls

Flop: (7.5 SB) 7 2 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets, Hero raises, BTN 3-bets, Hero calls

Turn: (6.8 BB) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets, Hero calls

River: (8.8 BB) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets, Hero raises, BTN calls

Results:
      12.8 BB pot (0.4 BB rake)
      Final Board: 7 2 5 5 6
      Hero showed 6 6 and won 12.4 BB (6.4 BB net)
      BTN mucked K K and lost (-6 BB net)

Just a fun one, despite the run bad occasionally you still suck one out

Hand 3

Preflop: Hero is CO with J J
      MP folds, Hero raises, BTN folds, SB 3-bets, BB folds, Hero calls

Flop: (7 SB) 5 2 8 (2 players)
      SB bets, Hero calls

Turn: (4.5 BB) 7 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, SB calls

River: (6.5 BB) A (2 players)
      SB bets, Hero folds

Results:
      6.5 BB pot (0.3 BB rake)
      Final Board: 5 2 8 7 A
      SB mucked and won 6.2 BB (3.2 BB net)
      Hero mucked J J and lost (-3 BB net)

This is a huge fold on my behalf especially since I've under-represented my hand but the guy I was up against was coming in as a terra-nit and his line screams A-High as loud as I could imagine. If this were against anyone very aggressive I would have instantly called.

However my line of thinking was, his range is mega-A heavy. The fact he didn't x/r the turn leads me to believe he doesn't have an overpair to the board unless he's hyper-scared of the turn which there's no reason for him to be, and even if he had an overpair and was scared there's no reason for him to donk the Ace becasue he'd turning a made hand into a bluff.

I can see 66 potentially in his range for sure and would he turn KQ into a bluff...maybe, but still I was getting 7.5-1 to call and I would be surprised if i was good 5% of the time.

Tbh despite all of that I think it's still way too tight of a fold because I'm folding pretty much everything if I think about it but overall vs this guy I didn't, in the moment, believe it could be anything else. If he had 66 nice work by him.

Hand 4

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9 Q
      UTG folds, MP calls, CO folds, Hero raises, SB folds, BB 3-bets, MP calls, Hero calls

Flop: (9.5 SB) 9 5 3 (3 players)
      BB bets, MP calls, Hero raises, BB calls, MP calls

Turn: (7.8 BB) K (3 players)
      BB bets, MP calls, Hero calls

River: (10.8 BB) T (3 players)
      BB checks, MP bets, Hero calls, BB calls

Results:
      13.8 BB pot (0.4 BB rake)
      Final Board: 9 5 3 K T
      MP showed 7 9 and lost (-4.5 BB net)
      Hero showed 9 Q and won 13.4 BB (8.9 BB net)
      BB mucked A K and lost (-4.5 BB net)

Hyper Interesting hand to be

The 3-better was 42/28 so no reason to think I'm not raising for value oin the flop, when he donks the turn I'm pretty sure he's now caught up or has exactly As. When I catch up on the river and the guy who's been calling all the way bets out now I've got to consider my position in the hand and I decide that riasing would potentially isolate me vs the best hand and by going for an overcall I can test my theory becasue I don't thik he'll fold a hand like KxJ :spade:

As it turns out he made what I think is an awful overcall. With me calling in the middle and the donk out AK is good there pretty much never.

So that's the first round of fun hands

Back to gaming
    • deralte71
      deralte71
      Bronze
      nice blog. will be following :s_love:
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Comedy/Interesting hand of the day

Poker Stars, $0.50/$1 Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q A
      CO folds, BTN raises, Hero 3-bets, BB folds, BTN calls

Flop: (7 SB) 8 4 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets, BTN calls

Turn: (4.5 BB) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets, BTN raises, Hero calls

River: (8.5 BB) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets, Hero calls

Results:
      10.5 BB pot (0.4 BB rake)
      Final Board: 8 4 4 2 K
      BTN showed K Q and won 10.1 BB (5.1 BB net)
      Hero mucked Q A and lost (-5 BB net)

Proof positive that just because someone has Taggy stats doesn't mean their entire game is solid

This is more than likely an attempt to do the correct thing but doing it in a horrible manner. Yes this is a board where you're not going to have many genuine bluffing hands. However what better hands than his does he think I'm folding...I may fold the very occasional extrememly weak A-high but unless he is acting completely randomly if he bluffs this and all worse hands his range is just horribly skewed so pretty much bad

Overall played a very small session becasue I got hungry so just 100 hands for 6BB but will probably jump back on later

On a personal note I am hoping to have some more videos up on my Youtube soon but currently waiting on some work to be done elsewhere
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Just played in a couple of tourneys "for fun" with my dinner and some Top Gear

Then the horrible realisation hit me, tournaments aren't fun!!

Neither are min-cashes :(
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Having to laugh a bit at the moment seeing goals hurtle in all over the Premiership and FA Cup

Not sure how much I like the idea of Swansea resting players but at the end of the day how often are Swansea going to be in an major final? I guess getting utterly mullered at Anfield is something they decided was acceptable if it improves their chances vs a League 2 side who's entire team is probably paid less in a week than 1 of Swansea's players

Bet a lot of other professions wish they could get days off becasue something important's about to happen. In my experience that usually meant you were working 12 hour days instead of 8
    • renatopereira123
      renatopereira123
      Bronze
      Hey boomer i'll be following! Btw do you usually play more than 2 tables when you aren't recording a video ? Regards.
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Hi there

Yes I do but usually it's 3 :)

I'll sometimes play 4 but I definitely don't go over than, my game starts to degrade way too fast
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Taken a couple of days off poker after having to take my mother to hospital for a routine procedure and just making sure she's ok, some things are a bit more important and I don't think my mind was/is in the best place for playing anyway so it's allowed me to catch up on a few other things

I've actually started playing Star Trek Online again which is nuts becasue to all intents and purposes it's not very good and I hate MMOs but for some reason, this one works for me

First off it's as close to a single player game as an MMO can be (at least until you hit 50 and finish the storyline which will take you a looooooong time) and events are handled well in that you don't need to be a super advanced "Play it 10 hours a day and have an optimal build" type in order to have fun in the PVE arenas. Admittedly I looked a few things up and now have a Phased Polaron Boat as my main ship (and yes I spent some money because as I see it the game's free to play and if I get 50 hours of entertainment a month out of it I can part with €10 or so a month to support the game) but I'm not exactly what you'd call good but still feel like I can play in Daily MP events without being a massive burden (although I probably am).

Now maybe I'll hate it in a few months and never play it again but it's the first MMO where I've got a level-max'd character and am still playing it (although I'm still only about 2/3rds of the way through the 2nd campaign...you level up ridiculously fast)

Anyway....

Back to normalcy

I'll probably start the challenge back up tomorrow and aim for about 1000-1500 hands a day between now and the end of the month...not counting the odd day for doing other stuff. As long as I hit Gold Star I'm not bothered really becasue the goals for this month was never to hit Platinum Star.

March will be where everything kicks into Overdrive

I'll probably be producing 1-2 vids a month, after the original intro, on this project and filling in any other gaps elsewhere. Hopefully this means we'll be on Gold content in April :f_biggrin:
    • Fermina7
      Fermina7
      Bronze
      Good luck :f_smile: !
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Hmm not a great session first up

Those last 200 hands were just brutal and I already wasn't happy with the way things were going:

Some definite misplays from me, mainly to do with concentration...also had some utter comedy:

Hand 1

Preflop: Hero is BB with T 8
      MP raises, CO calls, 2 folds, Hero calls

Flop: (6.5 SB) A 4 8 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets, CO calls, Hero calls

Turn: (4.8 BB) 5 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets, CO calls, Hero calls

River: (7.8 BB) 8 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets, CO calls, Hero raises, MP folds, CO calls

Results:
      12.8 BB pot (0.4 BB rake)
      Final Board: A 4 8 5 8
      Hero showed T 8 and lost (-4.5 BB net)
      MP mucked and lost (-3.5 BB net)
      CO showed 6 7 and won 12.4 BB (7.9 BB net)

How in the name of God does he have THAT hand?!!

It's often very tilting, and probably the thing that tilts me the most out of anything, when I fall for a blatantly suboptimal play becasue the exact card comes on the river which makes sure I'm going to lose the maximum to it. It sucks but I don't think I can play the hand any differently and it's just a *flinch* moment which I should prepare myself for

Hand 2

Preflop: Hero is CO with A K
      UTG folds, MP raises, Hero 3-bets, BTN folds, SB calls, BB calls, MP calls

Flop: (12 SB) 7 J K (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP bets, Hero raises, SB folds, BB calls, MP 3-bets, Hero calls, BB calls

Turn: (10.5 BB) 6 (3 players)
      BB checks, MP bets, Hero calls, BB calls

River: (13.5 BB) 7 (3 players)
      BB checks, MP bets, Hero calls, BB folds

Results:
      15.5 BB pot (0.4 BB rake)
      Final Board: 7 J K 6 7
      MP showed T K and lost (-5 BB net)
      Hero showed A K and won 15.1 BB (10.1 BB net)
      BB mucked and lost (-4 BB net)

This is an interesting one because to me his 3-bet on the flop feels like overplay vs a 3-bet of his HJ open. I mean I suppose I could have QQ or AJ or preciesly QTs....but then I also have AK, KQ, KJ, KK, JJ, AA so it definitely feels like he's spewed there. Don't think my image was that aggro tbh.

Hand 3

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9 9
      MP folds, Hero raises, BTN calls, SB calls, BB folds

Flop: (7 SB) 9 Q 8 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, BTN calls, SB calls

Turn: (5 BB) 3 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, BTN raises, SB 3-bets, Hero calls, BTN calls

River: (14 BB) 6 (3 players)
      SB bets, Hero calls, BTN folds

Results:
      16 BB pot (0.4 BB rake)
      Final Board: 9 Q 8 3 6
      SB showed J T and won 15.6 BB (10.1 BB net)
      Hero mucked 9 9 and lost (-5.5 BB net)
      BTN mucked and lost (-4.5 BB net)

The image that came into my head on the turn was this one:

(edited by CmdrKeen: picture unavailable, redirects to what Google reports as malware)

I don't think I can fold on the turn even if he shows me his cards, I'm getting 5-1 and have 10 outs to a boat or better. River I'm getting a billion to 1 to see if he's spewing.

By the way these hands all happened within 10 hands of each other

Hand 4

Poker Stars, $0.50/$1 Limit Hold'em Cash, 2 Players

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8 6
      SB raises, Hero calls

Flop: (4 SB) J 4 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, SB checks

Turn: (2 BB) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets, SB raises, Hero 3-bets, SB calls

River: (8 BB) T (2 players)
      Hero bets, SB folds

Results:
      8 BB pot (0.4 BB rake)
      Final Board: J 4 7 2 T
      SB mucked and lost (-4 BB net)
      Hero mucked 8 6 and won 7.6 BB (3.6 BB net)

Yes, I completely believe your line which represents nothing...

So overall can't say I'm too happy atm but it's just one session and I'll get back in the saddle soon enough
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      FL seems to be fun, ill def give it a shot in the future :D
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zumpar
      Don't do it. Unless if u hate yourself :coolface: Seriously

Moving to NL after 4yrs of playing FL was prolly best mid-term decision of my life..
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tomzyb
      Originally posted by zumpar
      Don't do it. Unless if u hate yourself :coolface: Seriously

Moving to NL after 4yrs of playing FL was prolly best mid-term decision of my life..
      Fl's definitely a more fun game than NL is, as to profitability I'd say that 0.5/1 table at FL are probably better than 20NL tables (at least in terms of PF play) but tbh both are perfectly beatable.

Basically it's whichever game you prefer and FL for me is the game I know most about and is what I find most fun...despite what happens :)

Session 2 over and originally I thought it was going similar to session 1 but there was a massive hand in the middle which suddenly turned everything around and suddenly things started falling "right" and it ended up being an ok session.

Could do with playing a 3rd session tonight but might just call it for today, first real day back at it so 900 hands for the day is ok. Certainly want to start increasing my session stamina though....also need to find a way to find out how many hands I've played in a session without revealing how much I'm up or down because that influences quitting decisions

So here's where I am atm

Pretty Swongy huh? :p

Overall Stats are coming in as follows:

VPIP: 36.4
      PFR: 27.8
      3-Bet: 11 (Want to get this up, I think I'm being a wuss from the BB vs SB)
      WTSD: 42.5
      W$SD: 54

Winrate: 2.94BB/100

Rake Paid: $88.02 :(

Onwards!! TO GAMING!! :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Almost Forgot my hands from the last session :f_biggrin:

Hand 1

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A K
      Hero raises, MP folds, CO 3-bets, BTN folds, SB calls, BB calls, Hero caps, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls

Flop: (16 SB) 4 8 Q (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls

Turn: (10 BB) T (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, CO calls, SB raises, BB folds, Hero calls, CO calls

River: (16 BB) J (3 players)
      SB bets, Hero raises, CO 3-bets, SB calls, Hero caps, CO calls, SB calls

Results:
      28 BB pot (0.4 BB rake)
      Final Board: 4 8 Q T J
      SB mucked 9 J and lost (-8.5 BB net)
      Hero showed A K and won 27.6 BB (19.1 BB net)
      CO mucked 9 9 and lost (-8.5 BB net)

This is what turned the session around, the bet on the turn I'm not sure I'm a fan of vs 2 players but I've almost got value here and it'd be a shame to let 33 or A9 hit for free

When I bink the river it's as good as it gets, thought I was chopping when 4 bets went in but there ya go

Hand 2

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8 T
      UTG raises, MP calls, Hero calls, BTN folds, SB calls, BB calls

Flop: (10 SB) A T 3 (5 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets, MP calls, Hero calls, 2 folds

Turn: (6.5 BB) 8 (3 players)
      UTG checks, MP bets, Hero raises, UTG calls, MP calls

River: (12.5 BB) 2 (3 players)
      UTG checks, MP checks, Hero bets, UTG folds, MP calls

Results:
      14.5 BB pot (0.4 BB rake)
      Final Board: A T 3 8 2
      UTG mucked and lost (-3.5 BB net)
      MP mucked A K and lost (-4.5 BB net)
      Hero showed 8 T and won 14.1 BB (9.6 BB net)

T8s in the nuts!!

Hand 3

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8 T
      4 folds, Hero raises, BB calls

Flop: (4 SB) 4 5 T (2 players)
      Hero bets, BB raises, Hero 3-bets, BB calls

Turn: (5 BB) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets, BB raises, Hero 3-bets, BB caps, Hero calls

River: (13 BB) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets, Hero calls

Results:
      15 BB pot (0.4 BB rake)
      Final Board: 4 5 T Q 8
      Hero showed 8 T and won 14.6 BB (7.1 BB net)
      BB showed Q 5 and lost (-7.5 BB net)

No really it is....that said I wussed out horribly here with a 2 card flush but the only hand I could think he loses his mind like this with was another flush but this is majorly scared play and I hate myself for playing it that way vs someone who was obviously very aggressive and it's a sign of the fact I've not been playing well.

Hand 4

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8 8
      Hero raises, MP folds, CO 3-bets, 3 folds, Hero calls

Flop: (7.5 SB) 5 3 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets, Hero raises, CO calls

Turn: (5.8 BB) J (2 players)
      Hero bets, CO calls

River: (7.8 BB) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets, CO calls

Results:
      9.8 BB pot (0.4 BB rake)
      Final Board: 5 3 6 J 2
      Hero showed 8 8 and lost (-4.5 BB net)
      CO showed Q Q and won 9.4 BB (4.9 BB net)

How disrespectful :(

Have fun at the tables guys :)