Question for Turbo/HyperTurbo players.

• Mat55
      Mat55
      Bronze
      Hi guys, I have a serious question for the people who play turbo/hyper turbo tournament on PokerStars/FullTilt. If you want to skip the story, you can go to the bolded section a couple paragraphs down.

A friend of mine, who only plays the turbo/hyper turbo tournaments, is basically what you call a… degenerate in poker. He has no bankroll management, and when he loses he usually steams and throws his money like it’s nothing. Don’t get me wrong, he is a VERY good player, most tournaments he enters he is ITM and gets top 10 frequently.. However when he gets like 10th place, he will usually steam because he loses to a bad beat, or a turn on an all in with like QQ for example, then he doesn’t care and enters some high tournament entry fee and loses etc. He basically has a gambling addiction, that only sparks when he loses.

He told me he will be committed to a specific BRM. I want to help him out because I hate seeing him lose all his money after he played a good tournament (“rages” because of a stupid bad beat at the final table).

I know that if he has a proper bankroll management, he will profit from it because he is a good player. If he starts with a $75 bankroll, what kind of tournaments can he enter? Is he allowed to play as many tournaments as he wants until he feels like he is tilting?

Are there any links to BRM for the typical tournament player? Where can I find more information? Thanks.
  • 3 replies
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hi Mat55,

With a 75$ bankroll he shouldn't be playing tournaments at all. Especially, he shouldn't play turbo or even hyperturbo tournaments with an even higher variance.

For mass field mtt's (1k+ players) I would generally recommend 400 average buyins as a minimum requirement. The more the better. And this is for a schedule that consists mainly of standard structured tournaments mixed with a few turbo one's.

If you only play turbo tournaments with mass player fields you should consider having an even tighter approach to BRM.

The only type of tournament your friend can possibly play with a bankroll of 75$ are the 0,1$ 360men hyperturbos. His bankroll is sufficient for those.

They are not exactly mtt's though, but are related to as mtsng's in most cases. Due to the capped number of players the variance is lower and the tournaments have a few aspects from sng's added to them.

If he finds any other mtt's or mtsng's in a similar buyin range (or up to ~20 cent) he can obviously play them as well, but I doubt that there are many of them.

I can't provide any links regarding BRM since the existing articles are outdated and based on the soft player fields from 2006. These days the player fields are much tougher and therefore the variance much higher. Therefore the requirements to brm are way stricter.

A 400BI BRM seems to be established among many professional and semi-professional poker players though. It's often referred to as a guideline and there were several threads on that matter (use forum search to find other threads if needed).

Personally I have an even stricter BRM while playing with an average buyin of up to 80$ (which means, that I am playing a buyin range from ~22 to 215$).

If you have further questions feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban
    • davidgod
      davidgod
      Bronze
      my brm is i keep 75 buyin in my account, and withdraw every 2 weeks if br >=150 buyin is true

i think keeping too much money in the account is a waste ,while you can earn nearly 4% yearly rate for those money.

i did go broke three times in my life. but it is a piece of cake to me. simply reload your br is ok :D
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      As long as you are willing to reload if necessary there is no need for BRM anyways. My recommendations are always based on the assumption, that the player does not want to invest further money and therefore needs solid BRM that is persistent and secure without hindering more then necessary.

If one asks for BRM advice it indicates that he is searching for the above. Hence my advice.

Regards,
      Asaban