Pp Lp

• generals007
      generals007
      Bronze
      Let's assume I am late position with a pocket pair like nines or sixes. BU and blinds all are smallstacks with 20 BB at most. Do I raise and speculate on the blinds still having 1/8th chance on hitting or do i check and see if I hit? If they call a raise there I often times lose money, of course, because I don't get the implied value that I'd get from a call20 call.

gen
  • 3 replies
    • generals007
      generals007
      Bronze
      Anyone got an answer for me there?
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      I play SH right now, and I'd definitely raise here. The main reason for me is that you have pretty high fold equity because they're short stacks, and even when they flat call there are still quite a few low flops that you can continue with against them, especially since you'll be in position most of the time (except if the BU calls) If one of the shorty's pushes in then you can call most of the time, unless you know they're playing like a rock (I wrote the math of why I think calling is good here down to 77 or 88 on your other post). The last thing is that I really don't like open limping, especially in late position, because even when you hit it's hard to get any value out of your hand. If you raise you either hit a set and are more likely to stack the shorty, you can continue on low flops, or you have an easy fold. (seems like there's more expected value this way as opposed to open limping)

Hope this is useful,
    • generals007
      generals007
      Bronze
      This actually is, thank you :D

gen