This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

BluffinBilbo plays PLO8

• BluffinBilbo
      BluffinBilbo
      Bronze
      Hello fellow poker players!
      My name is Gabriel and this is my third shot at poker.

So first, who am I?
      I am a 23-year old swedish student living with my girlfriend in central stockholm. I study engineering physics (teknisk fysik) with focus on applied mathematics. I have been playing poker casually for between 4 and 5 years.

My poker history.
      I started playing sometime around year 08-09 and found pokerstrategy through a friend. The prospect getting a free $50 starting capital looked appealing to me, so I signed up and found there was a swedish community trying to beat the various stakes of holdem. I thought, why not lets try to beat this game.
      I started playing NL SSS, but as it turned out the game wasnt as easy as i had thought. I started improvising, playing well outside the given strategy and steadily grinded my bankroll down to 10 lousy dollars. I was like what the fuck man, how am i supposed to keep a healthy bankroll management with ten damn bucks?
      This was e serious breaking point in my poker career and I really had to think things through. I started reasoning, what poker format can I possibly play with $10. Then i found fixed limit holdem. The game seemed perfect to me, with such big mathematical restrictions I realized that i HAD to stick to a strategy in order to beat this game. I started out with 0.02/0.04 which actually required a bankroll of $12 to stick to the bankroll management, but i was only 2 dollars short so I was like what the heck its the only format i can afford.
      It all went smothly after that point. I beat my way from 0.02/0.04 up to 0.25/0.50 in the FL games on pokerstars and ended up with a bankroll of something like $200. At this point I also got lucky and came thrid in a $2 tournament for $600 which put my bankroll a bit over $800. After this I kind of lost interest in poker which resulted in a break for maybe 6 months.

My second shot at poker.
      After a while I started thinking about poker again. I needed a new format and decided to give Nl holdem full stack a shot. I was rolled for the 0.10/0.25 tables but decided to start out a bit loweron 0.05/0.10. I moved to full tilt and started playing on the rush tables. To be honest, my game wasnt really top notch. I was playing BE or maybe slightly winning, but the bonuses and rakeback kept my bankroll growing.
      After a while I started posting hands on the swedish microstakes handreview forums. I found out that the then current handcoach went tothe same university as I and I started taking some private coaching sessions. My game improved a lot and soon i was winning 5bbs/100. I moved my bankroll to the entraction network and started playing SH on 0.10/0.20. At the SH tables my winrate went down a bit to a few bbs/100, but I was still winning and my game improved significantly.
      After maybe 60k hands I decided that I wanted back to nl FR, so I continued on the same stakes on FR instead. When I went back to FR something had happened. I had learnt a lot about late posion game, when to 3-bet or not 3-bet, from who I should steal from and who not to steal from. My valuebetting and FOLDING had also improved significantly. I was now a 13vpip/11pfr player and i was crushing the game. I was winning and winning, and the better I got at folding the right hands the more i won.
      I moved from 0.10/0.20 upto 0.5/1, my bankroll was steadily built well over $4k. At this point I also started doing some live coaching and became a microstakes handevaluater on the swedish forum on stakes up to 0.05/0.10 on FR and SH.

After a while i got more to work to do at school and I once again started losing interest in poker. I resigned from the hand evaluation and stopped playing poker again.

The third shot, present time.
      I started talking to an online friend again who was one of the top 5-card-draw players in europe a couple of years ago. Somehow talking to him made my interest in stir up again. He adviced me to try out plo hi/lo aka PLO8, and that is where I am now. I have cashed out some of my bankroll but still have something like $2.5k on different poker sites.

Right now I am starting low with PLO8. I expect to be a losing player the first few thousand hands so I am currently playing stakes between 0.01/0.02 and 0.05/0.10 to learn the basics of the game.

I am going to try and post lots of hands here, so all PLO8 players feel free to comment. Also feel free to post your own different pokerhands here, I am always up for discussing some hands.

Wish me good luck! :f_biggrin:
  • 7 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Gold
      Hey BluffinBilbo

Welcome back to the world of poker and welcome to our blogging section. Hope all goes well.

Regards,
      Luke
    • BluffinBilbo
      BluffinBilbo
      Bronze
      Thanks Luke, I hope so too! Here is a hand from todays play.

PokerStars | Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo Cash - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
      [url=pokeit.co/share/WrNOJ][i][color="DarkSlateGrey"]Hand [/i]#[i]94070987001[/url] - delivered by[/color][/i] Pokeit

BTN skoroboqach: $3.19 (159.5 BBs)
      CO Phoenix (F): $5.53 (276.5 BBs)
      UTG <<GURZA>>964: $2.41 (120.5 BBs)
      BB BluffinBilbo: $5.06 (253 BBs)
      SB Go0dDaYtOdaY: $0.85 (42.5 BBs)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (BluffinBilbo) is BB with 7♥ 6♦ A♥ 2♥
      <<GURZA>>964 raises $0.02 to $0.04, 3 players fold, BluffinBilbo calls $0.02

Flop: K♣ Q♥ 8♥ ($0.09) (2 players)
      BluffinBilbo checks, <<GURZA>>964 bets $0.09, BluffinBilbo calls $0.09

Turn: A♦ ($0.27) (2 players)
      BluffinBilbo checks, <<GURZA>>964 bets $0.10, BluffinBilbo calls $0.10

River: 8♦ ($0.47) (2 players)
      BluffinBilbo checks, <<GURZA>>964 checks

Final Pot: ($0.45 | rake $0.02) (2 players)
      <<GURZA>>964 shows K♥ A♣ 3♠ J♠ HI: two pair, Aces and Kings +$0.22
      BluffinBilbo shows 7♥ 6♦ A♥ 2♥ HI: two pair, Aces and Eights -$0.23.

From the third article in the PLO8 bronze section, you can read that you should jam most nut flushdraws on the flop. Here is a hand where i also have low nut draw. Is this a spot where i shouls reraise or donk the flop?

It seema to me that i played this hand quite fishy. :f_p:
    • BluffinBilbo
      BluffinBilbo
      Bronze
      I will start this post by saying that my first 5khands have gone well over expectations. I have lost around 90 bbs, but my ev is up well over 300 bbs :D i didnt expect to be +ev so soon.
      With that said, after looking through my hand history I realize I am making some HUGE mistakes. I am playing too many hands utg, i c-bet bad boards and i overplay a lot in limped pots.
      The next few sessions i will be focusing on a tighter preflop play and less overplaying of medium hands.

Also, does anyone know any hud tools that supports plo8? I used the old version of holdem manager when i played before, but i dont know if they support plo8
    • ColorFlusher
      ColorFlusher
      Bronze
      Hi, nice to have a fellow hi/lo player here. HM2 is supporting at least the cash games well.

On the hand you posted I would play the same. If I would know the player pots strong hands and is most likely barreling turn then fold. If you are up for some random discussion add me on community tool : )
    • shogun2313
      shogun2313
      Bronze
      hey i also play plo8 cg game. up to plo8 200.

if you make it to plo8 50 or higher we can gladly discuss hands

@ colorflusher: i'm pretty sure i have seen you b4 at party and stars. your nickname there is also colorflusher, right? i think i have seen you in mtt. do you also play cg?

cheers
    • BluffinBilbo
      BluffinBilbo
      Bronze
      Nice to get some posts from plo8 players! I have sent friend requests to both of you and would very much like to talk to you on skype :D
    • BluffinBilbo
      BluffinBilbo
      Bronze
      Seems like the hand coach on the plo hand evaluation forums knows some plo8, so im going to start posting 5 hands after each session i play.