BR & strategy advice needed

• vicstr
      vicstr
      Bronze
      I hope i posted this in the right section (if not pls move it)

I decided to take poker online more seriously.
      My objective would be to win 35$/day on cash tables. (average considering 1 month)
      What BR should i have and what limits should i play?
      What target/hour should i set/expect?( bb/hour)

*i play on FTP
      *i usually do better at low(0.10/0.25) stakes rather then micro
      *i can't play more then 4 tables in the same time (with 2 i get bored waiting and tend to play more marginal hands) and with more then 4 i can't watch the action on the tables (find it nice to speculate when someones on tilt)
  • 7 replies
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Speaking from experience I can tell you that if you set yourself monetary goals you're going to find things get very stressful very quickly. Hitting downswings when you're constantly monitoring daily earnings can lead to some serious frustration and anxiety: you'll start to think things like "well that's 2 days work down the pan" rather than "hah what a sick cooler" (IMO).

I think your best option if you want to improve is just to set yourself the target of playing/studying a certain number of hours a week and stick to it. Don't try to make x amount by the end of the month, but concentrate on improving and enjoying the game.

Standard BR management for CGs is around 25-30 BIs for micro limits, but it never hurts to have a more conservative roll.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ains21
      Speaking from experience I can tell you that if you set yourself monetary goals you're going to find things get very stressful very quickly. Hitting downswings when you're constantly monitoring daily earnings can lead to some serious frustration and anxiety: you'll start to think things like "well that's 2 days work down the pan" rather than "hah what a sick cooler" (IMO).
      This ^

Gonna be especially true if you set yourself DAILY monetary goals, which is just something you'll never be able to live up to.
      You WILL have losing days, sometimes losing weeks.
      If you absolutely must set monetary goals, I would say they'd have to be monthly at the very least otherwise it could start affecting your play eg. chasing losses while tilted cos you didn't meet your daily $.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze

I think your best option if you want to improve is just to set yourself the target of playing/studying a certain number of hours a week and stick to it. Don't try to make x amount by the end of the month, but concentrate on improving and enjoying the game.

Standard BR management for CGs is around 25-30 BIs for micro limits, but it never hurts to have a more conservative roll.
      Great post! Thank you very much :)

Nothing further to add here.
    • vicstr
      vicstr
      Bronze

Ty!
      Sounds like a good advice... i'll put it into practice. (avoiding the 'results' tab in my PT)
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      imo on micros (if poker is not a source of your income), 20BI's BRM is definitely enough... but u must be prepared to move down
    • liguolong
      liguolong
      Bronze
      20 bis should be enough. But it actually doesn't matter much what BRM rules you use, most ppl who broke simply don't stick with those rules.
    • NateMilla
      NateMilla
      Basic
      Originally posted by metza
      This ^

Gonna be especially true if you set yourself DAILY monetary goals, which is just something you'll never be able to live up to.
      You WILL have losing days, sometimes losing weeks.
      If you absolutely must set monetary goals, I would say they'd have to be monthly at the very least otherwise it could start affecting your play eg. chasing losses while tilted cos you didn't meet your daily $.
      Like he'd said. Instead of saying "I want to make $25.00 a day" try, "I want to be fully per-paired to play my best game of poker and make only positive decision between these hours"

I've always heard the rule of 25 for BRM. I'd rather do like 30 Buy-ins.
      Some people like playing SSS, some people are more comfortable with a full buy-in.
      When I'd play I'd match the second top chip leader. Now I like BSS.

It really all depends on who you are and what kind of decisions you make in live play. (and how many ATC donks are on the table)