Where to begin?

• Dyl444
      Dyl444
      Basic
      So I have been playing poker for about the last month quite a lot. This week I deposited $100 and am now working to grind the cash game FR tables. I play at carbon so the lowest stakes is NL4 and I am up to 108 dollars.

My main question is which strategy should I be using. I have been following MSS but I recently saw a NL Beginners course that teaches BSS. Is this something I should be using instead? I follow the SHC 100% of the time and yesterday I folded 70 hands straight....got pretty boring and the blinds were eating away even with a few blind steals.

I also don't have any poker tracking software as I don't really understand how to get it set up or which one to get. Broke college student at the moment too.

I am looking for some guided advice and maybe even a coach if he wanted to take me along.

Also curious if I should be multi tabling?
      Noob question, what does it mean trying to beat the rake?

Looking forward to advice,
      Dyl
  • 6 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey Dyl444

A lot of the strategies just go down to preference. I would personally suggest the Big stack strategy simply because we offer a lot more educational material for this strategy such as the Beginners course that you mentioned. If you get bored it might pay to play quick fold poker or multi table but if you are just a beginner it can often get too much, so just you what you can handle.

I would advise holding off on the poker tracking software for a while because a lot of the features would seem foreign and might not be worth it but long-term, tracking software is very useful and worth the investment.

As for coaching I would suggest coming along to our beginners group coaching sessions http://www.pokerstrategy.com/coaching/ which are free and happen semi-frequently.

Rake is the house's cut of each hand. This rake is typically 5% so every hand that you are involved in is being taxed 5% effectively so beating the rake is means that you are winning at least more than 5% overall.

Hope that helped.

Regards,
      Luke
    • Dyl444
      Dyl444
      Basic
      Thanks for you response Legend!

I have already began on lesson 1 for the NL Beginners Course so will be learning the BSS.

I will also try and participate in the beginners coaching group.

Thanks again and more advice is welcome!
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      Hi Legand,

i have a quick question, what does "semi-frequently" mean??
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Pokertracker has free 1 month trial :f_biggrin:
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nefarious26
      Hi Legand,

i have a quick question, what does "semi-frequently" mean??
      Depending on your status there are usually around 3/4 suitable coaching sessions per week. For example for no limit beginners (basic) status, if you count the beginners course there are four this week which you can see here:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/coaching/
    • luckboxjack
      luckboxjack
      Bronze
      heyy

im a broke college student too, but i use poker tracker 4 (Small stakes version), it improved my game massively!

Also try double up sngs they are a good way to build your bankroll quickly and easily