Untilted

• mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      Well..

Here I am..

...again :)

Where to start?

I played poker first time ages ago. I did well as an newbie then got tilted, lost everything, had break, came back, got tilted, spew everything, had break..
      and like that I went through same circle over and over again.

Poker always lures me when I feel bit desperate about some life situation or feel absolutely bored. Not that I am broke. But more that I would like to try and win some..

I know quite a bit about poker and learned a lot in the past. New stuff I have learned I am trying to forget and get back to basics. In some sense I can turn pro with what I know. Yet..

I have big enemy called tilt.

I used to have enormous patience, huge working ethics and drive. Most of it though.. Seems to be gone.

One of the reasons I never tried hard enough is because I was never forced to go out of my comfort zone. In anything. Life made easy. And quite frankly. Even if I had hard situations in my life. I never could give enough sh.t about it.

My last tilt was really nasty and parted me with poker for quite a long time. Again :) There were many reasons. Pressure at work, home, sickness & my wife that always went onto interrupting me as much as she could etc..

Now I feel more settled and will try to have another shot.

This "blog" will be simple as always.

1/ see if I can keep my focus
      2/ share some words with others
  • 13 replies
    • Khaliesje
      Khaliesje
      Bronze
      Try to use a strict stoploss to help you with your tilt. Stop before you get tilted basicly!
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      Once I am on winning streak. I don't know when to stop. And quite frankly I don't see any reason. I am posting profit and so I play trying to post more profit. But then..

.. I might get tired, burned out, lose the profit.. Etc. etc.

Still. Why and when to say to myself: stop?!

Just now I have idea why.. I have to go to sleep. But I am sure tomorrow I am going to gamble with profits again. And if this month doesn't end soon enough I might lose it back again :D
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Khaliesje
      Try to use a strict stoploss to help you with your tilt. Stop before you get tilted basicly!
      I have daily stop loss but it doesn't take in account my profits.. If it did I would have to finish much earlier.. But then again I wouldn't have recorded much bigger profits as I am now.. That is my current problem.

When I don't have tilt I know what to do and I'm following all guidelines set by myself.

When I hit the bottom then no stop loss will help me. It's not going to be now though..

So if I have any problem at the moment. It would definitely be setting myself daily profit target or something like that. I've got stop loss target that is more than strict but then again I have no target to stop once I am in profit zone set by myself. That leads me to infinite play when profiting. I have to stop playing only when to go to work, when any distractions are around like my wife or other commitments. Otherwise I would like to play as much as I can when I am winning.

What would be normal profit that tells you to stop?

I am thinking like this: if I stop now I would have no idea what is my maximum expectation etc.. :) And I don't mind hitting bottom of the loss zone.

This is my last five sessions in BIs
      +3.09
      +3.60

Problem is the way I have set my stop loss. If I am down to my starting BR I can record only small loss. When I am in my profit zone I am determined to gamble with the whole lot. <<-- shall I approach this as part of my BR? But then again my profits would be cut substantially because of this overly cautious BRM.. (atleast this is what I feel)

I don't mind in my mindset to go ahead and gamble with profits because I have one target in mind. Once I lock on that target I might approach the BR bit differently but until then I've got to go ahead and try. Atleast this is feeling I rely on at the moment. Is that wrong?!
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      I was wondering what kept me from going deeper in my profit zone and why I was literally stuck on dead end.

Last night session where I dropped dead literally in the middle of it recording tiny loss provided me with answer. I fell asleep in between playing WGT and Zoom :D

I became too aggressive in multiway pots in late position. When checked to me, no matter what, I fired some bullets. Even empty handed. Then I was usually wondering how someone can call with gutshot. Yet it was usually enough for them to chase and I was unable to get the freak out of his hand anyways.
      Also playing with small stack with less than 50 BBs usually doesn't help the cause.
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      emotionally I've got mixed feelings about some of my sessions. Here is last 6 in BIs:

Some sessions I've managed grinding comeback where I was down to less than 10 BBs and cut out profit from the table. One of those sessions were today.

Today it was very swingy. The other day I was just grinding on buy in back and forth in non profit zone and then it shot up.

I think if I had to play without profit I wouldn't record as much profit as I am now.. It always gets swingy and by the time I finish everything sort of prevails and good game earns me some profit(s).

I am 4 BIs from my first target for this month. Then I have to (if God wills it) mantain it and if I am lucky enough I will have nice headstart for next months target, where I hopefully move up limits.

Good luck for everyone who tries to grind as well and finds time to read this blog :s_thumbsup:
    • x3mwisp
      x3mwisp
      Platinum
      I would suggest you play the same ammount of hands daily. That way u'll learn to neglect the emotions a bit more. And set a -5BI stop loss for example. So the day you lose more than 5 BI you don't play anymore as it's probably not your day. The day where you win more than 5BI you might want to through in an additional 10-15% of your normal daily hands. Try to think about this kind of approach.
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      This morning seemed supereasy :) I've lost 1.5 BI in the end due to lady luck going to weaker kicker but.. I've hit my target for this month. Now 8 days to go I have to keep my kool and work on target two hoping that I won't slip from my current path.

I am unsure if I can control my emotions by playing certain number of hands. I got excited yesterday in hand 3 of my session, where I won 3 way pot having lots of action of 4th guy too. Then I had to pay back when I got bit looser and luckily I've ended up in profit.

I limit my sessions by playing one buy in game. It doesn't take in account number of hands. Sometimes I have to end up my session due to other life matters.

I wonder though. How should I track number of hands? I don't use any tracker and I am not aware if there is some tool that will tell you to stop and shut all your tables at once :s_biggrin:

I have stop loss if I am in non profit zone set to one buy in/day. Which is overly tight but it allows me to play whole month without danger of going broke.

I was emotional even today & excited when some of my hands held or went down the toilet. But excitement is usually coming with winning hands other than losing ones. Also felt bit pressured with wife around but couldn't and didn't want to slow down whilst riding +4 BI ride :) Ended up on +3.6

I have plan for my next 39 days but once I am supposed to move up I might try some different approaches :)
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      does an average of 1.1 BI/ session mean anything?

I know there is some measure of hourly rate but as I am not using and not willing to use any trackers. Can I deduce anything from this number?
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there,

I just wondered if this link could be of use to you:

Coaching/Videos : Learn to Win with Schnitzelfisch - Info + Feedback thread

I suggest you,

1. Sift the content for relevant material to your own situation

2. Ask the guy questions, he really is very good at the psychological side of things.

Good luck with your goals and always have fun.

Mal.
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      thx a lot gadget :)
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      And down we go. -3.5 BI in last 4.

KK < 88 pre
      AK < AQ pre
      KQ < AK on turn AKKx ( he limped obviously and I was in the blinds. He checked flop and we got it in on turn. Tough luck I guess )

So I am still in profit zone 8-4 on winning sessions :)
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      I had all night to grind yet I fell asleep pretty quickly. Maybe after 20 hands odd. I refused to give up and snoozed in hour intervals whole night with open light. In the end I slept more than usual.

When I finally managed to wake up I started one of my bigger upswings that has potential to be the best this month. Yet..

My wife is about to come and I have to stop ideally long before she does.

To add bit of salt to this I have to skip on potential score of atleast 200k this Sunday bc of work. Unless I step off sick. Maybe my mum can play it? :D
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      Well. I have lost pretty much winning hands. Those were 3 buy ins altogether..

AK vs A5 on flop push and river brought 5.

QJ on turn AKT2. He had 22 and board paired with river.

I don't know how KK held to KT on river K8646 but well. Atleast one buy in back.

I think I have lost one more river. Oh yes! I have KK he has flush draw and we get it in on turn where he picks up gutshot as well with his QJ 98 and two more low cards.

You got to be lucky to lose now most of these spots. My losing sessions were pure "luck" beats so far. Apart from one. Plus winning sessions contained pretty much of those as well & prevented me to record bigger.

I am still showing profit despite withdrawing 10 buy ins & recording my best losing session so far. :) I wonder how it will get back together for next month. One thing is for sure. If I record two more BI downswings then stop loss will be back in place :s_biggrin:

And yah! I give my mum chance to bust me out from main event this Sunday. She got two hours to do it. I tell her to play AA KK only to shove preflop but yeah. I know she will play AQs call call to the river and bust me early. It is superstack so I can only hope she will keep me atleast 500 chips in two hours. I also told her to slow down the tables a little bit to conserve more chips. Yet when excitement kicks in she will be at full speed.

Let's say fk work and fk downswings! They both spoil the great fun.

Time for first spoiler though :)