[NL20-NL50] 25shz AJo BB

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $25.06 (100.2 bb)
      SB: $10.98 (43.9 bb)
      Hero (BB): $33.22 (132.9 bb)
      UTG: $31.32 (125.3 bb)
      MP: $74.99 (300 bb)
      CO: $10.25 (41 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A J
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.50, Hero raises to $2, SB calls $1.50

Flop: ($4) J 9 3 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4) T (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.98, SB raises to $8.98 and is all-in, Hero calls $6

River: ($21.96) 8 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $21.96 pot ($1.20 rake)
      Final Board: J 9 3 T 8
      SB showed K Q and won $20.76 ($9.78 net)
      Hero mucked A J and lost (-$10.98 net)

VPIP: 29, PFR: 18, 3B: 0, AF: 1,0, Hands: 34

Given his tiny stack and my TPTK, on flop I already decided to go broke, and I thought the best way was to show weakness on flop (which was fairly dry) and wait for the usual raise bluffs with anything from these short stacks.
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Why are you 3betting here? Do u have the read that he opens really wide and defends wide vs 3bets even when oop? I think with AJo u dont necessarily have value vs the average opponent. Or maybe u 3bet him a lot and he 4bets u really wide so u want to merge 3bet with AJo?

I see no reason to check here. We have tptk in a 3b pot which is the effective nuts. Bet with the intention of firing 3 times on blank runouts.

As played i dont see how u can fold vs a midstacker.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

Why are you 3betting here? Do u have the read that he opens really wide and defends wide vs 3bets even when oop? I think with AJo u dont necessarily have value vs the average opponent. Or maybe u 3bet him a lot and he 4bets u really wide so u want to merge 3bet with AJo?

I see no reason to check here. We have tptk in a 3b pot which is the effective nuts. Bet with the intention of firing 3 times on blank runouts.

As played i dont see how u can fold vs a midstacker.
      I have only 3 samples of SB steal, making it 33 (3), which is also his total steal 33 (12).
      So I guess this is average and I should have called?
      But am I not ahead a LOT vs that range with AJo?
      About defending I had only 1 sample, and he did defend.

But I see what you mean maybe.
      Unless I have that defending read, I basically transform my value hand into a bluff vs their 4Bet (either value or bluff).
      Right?

Also: "Or maybe u 3bet him a lot and he 4bets u really wide so u want to merge 3bet with AJo" I don't really understand much, could you extend a bit? Sorry for being noob :x
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      It doesn't matter how wide his range is, if he folds most worse hands.

A simplified example would be you 3betting KK vs someone opening 100% of hands. If he is always folding everything besides AA (even QQ and AK), should we even 3bet KK in the first place? Obviously not right?

I would only 3bet here if I were prepared to stack off vs this 40bb guy. If not there's really no point. And that requires you to 3bet bluff a ton as well, forcing him to increase his value 4betting range or maybe include some 4bet bluffs in his range. If you just have a tight and passive image, then he would simply fold all worse hands and 4bet only very strong hands vs you.

From your POV, it just means that you have to 3bet AJ and fold it to a 4bet since you are crushed by his 4betting range. Then it also means that you are wasting the value of AJ when you could have just called and kept all his worse hands in the hand.