[NL2-NL10] JJ vs Ace

• generals007
      generals007
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)      
      code:
      Position(Stack):
      vp$ip	foldbb	ats	pfr
      af	w$sd	wts	hands

BB (12,61)
      CO (10,37)

0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em [color:blue](8 handed)[/color]
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:diamond: , J:heart:
      UTG+2 calls $0,10, [color:grey]3 folds[/color], [color:red]Hero raises to $0,50[/color], [color:grey]2 folds[/color], BB calls $0,40, [color:grey]UTG+2 folds[/color].

Flop: ($1,15) A:diamond: , 4:club: , 9:heart: [color:blue](2 players)[/color]
      BB checks, [color:red]Hero bets $0,50[/color], BB calls $0,50.

Turn: ($2,15) 8:club: [color:blue](2 players)[/color]
      BB checks, [color:red]Hero bets $1,10[/color], BB calls $1,10.

River: ($4,35) 6:spade: [color:blue](2 players)[/color]
      [color:red]BB bets $1,50[/color], Hero calls $1,50.

Final Pot: $7,35
  • 7 replies
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      my line on flops like this is to cbet more like 2/3 of the pot, so that its less likely that he'll float you. Then on the turn you can re-evaluate if you get called.

I don't see any value betting out again on the turn because there were very few draws on the flop, so its more likely that he has the ace, and also you should control the pot size since you are in position with a weak hand. Also on the river I'm folding for sure, it just doesn't seem likely that he's bluffing like this.
    • generals007
      generals007
      Bronze
      Higher cbet makes sense.

Turn must be a check behind, my play really sucked here.

I don't fold on river though. He didn't bet on turn. He's more likely to have nines with a high kicker than Aces.

He actually did have fours and I won, which I really wondered about... I misplayed the hand like hell but what can you say to something like Q4...

gen
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      lol...Q4.

Ya, I meant as you played it after betting flop and turn, I'd fold to the river bet. If you had checked behind on the turn you can then call the river, since you're ahead often enough I think.
    • generals007
      generals007
      Bronze
      He still checked to me on turn before I bet. You think that call gives his hand strength? He'd usually not want me to bet half pot size if he's got an Ace, he'll choose to reraise there. He most likely got a nine.

Or a four :P

gen
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Flop:
      Make your c-bet higher.

Turn:
      Check behind for pot control, there's nothing to protect your hand against and you don't want to play a big pot with second pair.

River:
      As played I'd call because of the odds you're being given (a fold is not a bad choice IMO, I think it's very close, but on NL10 I'd be inclined to call because these guys makes a lot of nonsense plays), but I'd fold to higher bets.
      On the other hand, I'm calling any reasonable bet on the river after checking behind on the turn.

When you check behind on the turn, you induce a bluff, so you have to call his bet on the river.
      But after you bet flop and turn and villain calls (yes, we should assume he's got a decent hand), and then leads out on the river, you'll be behind quite often.

Don't think you made an optimal play here just because you had the best hand, don't be results-oriented, think long term.

(EDIT: I didn't mean to be rude. Just trying to help. ;) )
    • generals007
      generals007
      Bronze
      I am not results-oriented. That's why I add them after the first reply.

I know I played bad. The thing is on the river... my bets were so small villain's handrange still includes hands I beat, like any nine. That's why I call there, given those pot odds.

gen
    • srohack
      srohack
      Bronze
      hi
      i would bet more on the flop . 0.9-1$ . after he calls me on the flop i would
      check behind for pot control because most of the nines that may called your flop bet will fold now and you will get called just by some better hand . if he checks it to me on the river i would make a bet a little more then 1/2 PotSize in order he can call with a 9
      gl