[NL2-NL10] NL2 Zoom AJo

• cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $0.51 (25.5 bb)
      SB: $3.59 (179.5 bb)
      BB: $2 (100 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $2 (100 bb)
      MP: $2.91 (145.5 bb)
      CO: $2.39 (119.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J A
      Hero raises to $0.08, MP folds, CO calls $0.08, BTN folds, SB calls $0.07, BB folds

Flop: ($0.26) A 2 2 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.14, CO calls $0.14, SB folds

Turn: ($0.54) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, CO calls $0.30

River: ($1.14) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.28, Hero calls $0.28

Results:
      $1.70 pot ($0.06 rake)
      Final Board: A 2 2 4 3
      Hero mucked J A and lost (-$0.80 net)
      CO showed Q A and won $1.64 ($0.84 net)

Villain is unknown.

I value bet 2 streets a little on the smaller side because the flop is dry and I'm either WAWB.

On the River, I am not afraid of 5x but more so A4, A3 and more likely a better Ace which is AQ/AK. My range on UTG is strong and that might be a factor that Villain did not raise.

Thus I elected to check and see what villain does. Playing x/f if he bets more than 1/2 pot. But I called because of the odds I was getting. About 5:1. The only worse hands Villain will bet is his missed FD and not worse Ax.

Not too sure about River call?
  • 9 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I prefer checking the turn. A tight opponent doesnt have too many worse aces which can call a turn barrel.

Other than that i think checkcall on river is fine to indce bluffs from busted draws.
    • dienaszaglis
      dienaszaglis
      Bronze
      Hi!

Why not bet the turn? Only better Ax is AQ, which is not that likely. AK is even more unlikely.

Also we get value from worse Ax, FD`s, PP`s.
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

I prefer checking the turn. A tight opponent doesnt have too many worse aces which can call a turn
      I do not agree, we still get value from worse Ax hands(ATo, ATs, A9s) and other diamond broadways which certainly can be in his calling range because he is in position
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dienaszaglis
      Hi!

Why not bet the turn? Only better Ax is AQ, which is not that likely. AK is even more unlikely.

Not necessarily unlikely, but more that villain's range is weighted towards draws more than Ax

Also, he may very likely have AK. For example i sometimes only call AK in position if a reg is opening, and let him valuebet himself
    • dienaszaglis
      dienaszaglis
      Bronze
      Sure, sometimes he will have better Ax, BUT in most cases he won`t.
      Likelihood for him to have AK is rather small, I`d say.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Ok this basically boils down to our basic assumptions about the villain's calling range. Maybe I'm wrong since NL2 players are probably much looser preflop. But at higher limits this would definitely be a check.

betting here is fine if you think he has so many worse Aces, and draws, and also that he never folds them. You should realize that you just look super strong (AQ/AK) when you bet the Flop and Turn and if he's decent he should be folding the Turn.

Are you really double-barreling Flop and Turn with less than an Ace in a 3way pot? How many worse hands or even semi-bluffs would you even have when you raise from UTG? Your range should be fairly tight I suppose. I think the "standard" opening range would be AJo+, maybe A2s+ or A8s+? That's not a lot of weak Aces in your perceived range, and you would probably check the Turn with the weaker Aces. From his POV I think it's a very easy fold on the Turn with AT or worse.

of course if our opponent isn't thinking at this level (which I doubt he is), then maybe you have value here.
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      @mbml, yep that's the thing. Villains at NL2 call with worse aces a lot, and also call down with draws(even gutshots until the river even if they have no odds whatsoever) doesn't matter if the board is paired or the texture etc, they are thinking on level 1, only about their hands, no way do they think about your perceived range etc
    • derpokerpasha
      derpokerpasha
      Bronze
      coldcalling range on NL2 zoom is way more Ax heavy then on higher limits, based on my experience

Turn should be a higher bet imo sth like 38-44

And i prefer to bet the River myself, because villains on Nl2 wont bluff that often with a busted draw.
      More likely they would check behind
      Again i would bet big (70-80% PS), they wont fold their Ax and many V will even call PP

PS: I'm not an expert but playing NL2 Zoom a lot recently,
      also sry if my English aint that good, german guy and I'm afraid my English is a bit rusty.
    • cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Betting the Turn will isolate me towards Ax hands, Diamond draws and optimistically 55-TT. I knew that when I was betting and I thought the maximum value I could get was actually 2 streets of value from this hand. Maybe I could have checked Turn and bet River if he checks behind.

I agree most players on this limit has Ax. But this Ax are most likely suited so I don't beat alot of them.

Namely A6-AT: 4 combos x 5 = 20 combos which I beat + all other FDs and also 55-TT.

And I lose to all other Aces: A2s-A5s/AQo-AKo

Once I bet Turn, I', definitely not betting River as draws fold and even 55-TT will fold I think. So up against another Ax, I don't think there's enough combos that I dominate.

Second reason why I chose not to bet was also because Villain did not represent anything fishy about him. I know we assume all players on NL2 to be weak, but don't think that is necessary true as well, especially in Zoom. Factors like his full stack and him being IP also led me to play the way I did.

In fact, if I was him I would play exactly the same way as he did, all streets incl the River bet. My play is definitely not optimal, but I always take the safe route out anyway :D