[NL2-NL10] [nl4] – TT

• DraakG
      DraakG
      Bronze
      Hello coach,
      I didn’t know the opponent yet. Would a call on the flop have been better?

Also, I know that because of my own stack the call20 rule says I should not have called pre-flop. Was it really a poor play to do so here anyway?

Thank you!
      DraakG

Cassava Poker $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em - 7 players

BTN: $0.84
      SB: $4.06
      BB: $4.30
      UTG: $8.65
      UTG+1: $4.00
      MP: $4.22
      Hero (CO): $3.74

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero is CO with T :club: T :diamond:
      1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.20, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.20, 3 folds

Flop: ($0.46) 8 :heart: 8 :club: 6 :spade: (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $0.23, Hero raises to $0.70, UTG+1 folds
  • 3 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Add up your stack to 100bb in the beginning of every hand.

I think calling preflop is fine. I think our hand is good enough here to call although we don't fulfill the call 20 rule.

Why do we raise on the flop? I would just call here.
      Raising is likely to isolate us only against better hands here.

Best,
      Plamen
    • DraakG
      DraakG
      Bronze
      Hi coach,

Thanks for the feedback.
      I raised on the flop because I thought the chance that my opponent was bluffing (likely with overcards) was quite high. Basically I wanted to pick up the pot right there to prevent a facecard comming on the turn and facing another bet from my opponent after which I of course would have to fold.

Analyzing that now, I would probably have to say that I was playing scared poker. I'm guessing you'll say calling in this spot is more proffitable in the long run since we can make money on later streets if we don't force out weaker hands and the chance our opponent hits a better hand than us on the turn are small enough to accept considdering the value we might still extract. I think I'm not yet confident enough in my post-flop play. Also I still have trouble accepting I'm beat in the scenario I just sketched (an overcard on the turn).
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      So, raising here is likely to show profit for sure, but the problem is that we are turning our hand into a bluff since there aren't any worse hands to continue here.
      So what I'd do here, is I would call and call most of the turn cards, and if we want to raise I would rather make it with a hand like AJ or KQ with which calling and playing on the turn will be harder.