It is what it is - My part time job

• bakuncho
      bakuncho
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm a frequent user in PT forum but I'm starting a blog to get some advice/help from other users and motivated by a blog on 2+2 of IamChampion.

Well, I'm José 35 years old (yes a bit old :D ) I play poker a few years bit only the last couple months I'm taking poker serious. More study and analyzing better hands.

I have a strong believe: I suck at poker but, my life always told me when I suck I try harder and, most of times, I achieve my goals.

In the long run, poker is related to money (and I was always result oriented), today I'm more best play oriented, I don´t tilt anymore because I lost so much on river that the best way is to get used to it. Normally I laugh in this moments because I ask a few questions to myself:

:club: Did I play the best game?
      :club: How I do it again in the same way?

If I answer yes to both, there's no need to tilt, take a note and keep going, Tilt is for playing bad. First play A-game and hopefully money will come along.

I don't consider myself a losing player, breakeven yes but improving always. Last month I was like 35BI down in EV playing at Party. Due to this fact I'm trying to play in a room that gives me rake back, I believe it's better in all senses.

Enough said, I work full time now and my poker time will clash with sleep time. A normal day will:

:club: Work ~9 hours
      :club: Play ~4 / 5 hours
      :club: Study 1hour (lunch time)

In the weekend I only play nights.

My short term goal is to be the best poker player that I can be, in the long run (for now) is the be a regular in NL20-25

I have two projects in poker:

:heart: My main focus will be on Unibet but I'm having a sick problem to play there because I can't log in. (NL4)

:heart: Pokerstars (this account isn't affiliated to PS) well this is an ego booster. This month I need cash so I cash out all leaving behind $1.85 and 1k FPP. I turn FPP in to $7.41 so my starting bankroll was $9.26. Let's turn this in the most I can. (Obviously NL2)

Someday I'll play 6-9 tables (9 probably) on Unibet and 3 at Pokerstars but now all my focus is in Stars. Depending on bankroll I'll open the maximum tables. For now only 4.

Finally why I play poker? Because I need to, I like the game but the need of $ is greater then the love of it, but the need to be the best player I can be is even greater. This is my part time job.

(sorry for bad English or grammar)
  • 7 replies
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      gl with moving up to NL25 and dont worry it will come in no time ;)
    • bakuncho
      bakuncho
      Bronze
      I know that playing all nights it'll be difficult struggling with sleep but sometimes I can make the right choices:

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $2.77 (138.5 bb)
      Hero (MP): $2.42 (121 bb)
      CO: $3.21 (160.5 bb)
      BTN: $1.73 (86.5 bb)
      SB: $1.73 (86.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q J
      Hero raises to $0.08, 3 folds, BB calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.17) T 9 9 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.12, BB calls $0.12

Turn: ($0.41) K (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.32, BB calls $0.32

River: ($1.05) J (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Results:
      $1.05 pot ($0.04 rake)
      Final Board: T 9 9 K J
      BB showed 2 K and won $1.01 ($0.49 net)
      Hero mucked Q J and lost (-$0.52 net)

when I'll be tired I need to focus on the why I'm playing.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Hello,

You and I are much alike, but I'm a SNG player not a cash player. I work 9-11+ hours in any day so my poker time clashes with my sleep time too.

Sometimes I would get only 5 1/2 hours of sleep and there are days where I get less, but if we want to be successful we have to be willing to give up sleep right?

I also don't tilt a lot anymore like I used to. Say I get my AKo all in preflop against AQs and villain hits the Q, I wouldn't get frustrated anymore and I always try to think long term rather than the short term.

Good luck on your goal and hopefully we both achieve our goals :)

Take Care,

Maythany
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by bakuncho
      I have a strong believe: I suck at poker but, my life always told me when I suck I try harder and, most of times, I achieve my goals.

In the long run, poker is related to money (and I was always result oriented), today I'm more best play oriented, I don´t tilt anymore because I lost so much on river that the best way is to get used to it. Normally I laugh in this moments because I ask a few questions to myself:
      If you truly believe you are not as good as you can be, then you are able to improve.

Those who believe that they are already good have a very hard time learning anything.

I find it very, very hard to ignore the results and concentrate on the play.

Thanks for a very interesting first blog post, and welcome to the blogging section!

All the best,
      --VS
    • bakuncho
      bakuncho
      Bronze
      @maythany: You're right, if we have a goal we need to sacrifice something. Like an economics teacher of mine always told (rightfully) there aren't free lunches.

@VorpalF2F: Of course I know there's a lot space to improve my game especially on determing ranges, not on looking at a board and see how many draws are there. At first I would agree your you about the difficulty of ignore results but now it's quite easy. I only look to result once a week and just play to improve my game.

Ofc money is an important part but lets face it: besides the economy struggle that Portugal has, my very small income I can deal with my expenses in the end of the month (not all but the major one) but at the end of the month I'm broke. The only way out is to get a part time and it's impossible here so poker may be a way out.

Money in poker results on making the right decisions and it's on this that I'm focusing. In the long run the EV line tends to cath up on the net won (theoretically speaking), so if my goal is to be the best player I can be I must to ignore the outcome. If I shove every turn on a 80/20+ situation I know the long run I'll be profitably. In these stakes there's no need to bluff (most of the times), probably NL25+ yes. So let's focus on the best play only and with rakeback sfotens variance.

My first challenge is to play A-game tired.
    • bakuncho
      bakuncho
      Bronze
      Hi,

Crazy year, shity year..

Due to financial complications I have to withrwall my poker earning from NL10 LOL and I can't move up limits.

Life is a bitch yes but it's what we make with all the crap thar surronds us that defines us as a person.

Right now, due personal life, getting divorced, with a child bla bla bla I've a debt that needs to get paid. I work full time 8-10hours day and still need to grind. Of course I don't play a A game.

Right now I have a BR for NL10 but I don't know,I'm tired and I can't stop, Money is an urgency for me, for my life and for my child. If I could get a part time probably some of this would disapear but in Portugal, jobs is like an oasis in a desert. So I need to play poker, don't get me wrong I like the game and made some money live.

So, I'm planning to mass table NL2/5 on stars until my BR is enough to pay my bills and then go to Prima NL20 (account affiliated to strategy and the RB also helps).

On the personnal life, there's none. Only work (and get paid a shity salary) and grind/improve game.

Let's see what 2014 brings to me, I know that I've a solid game on NL10 but I want more, one year and I'm right were I started! That's pisses me off! But I need to see this a part of a learning curve, now I know what not to do.

I did some math and I don't know if 21 tabling NL2/5 is better than 6tabling NL10. what do you think?

It's better to stick on Prima and get SP ou focus mainly on stars? better fish and better reg.

I'll update this regulary now, writing helps me to see things with different eyes.
    • bakuncho
      bakuncho
      Bronze
      hand of the day: