SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has T:spade: A:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, SB calls $0.25, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.90, 3 players) 3:heart: 4:club: A:spade:
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.50, SB calls $0.50, fold

Turn: ($1.90, 2 players) 3:spade:
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.35, SB calls $1.35

River: ($4.60, 2 players) T:heart:
      SB checks, Hero bets $3.40, SB raises to $6.80, Hero raises to $8.89 and is all-in, SB calls $1.58 and is all-in

SB shows 3:club: 3:diamond: (Four of a Kind, Threes) (Pre 52%, Flop 97%, Turn 100%)
      Hero shows T:spade: A:diamond: (Two Pair, Aces and Tens) (Pre 48%, Flop 3%, Turn 0%)
      SB wins $20.36

The villain has been around in other pots with fairly mediocre holdings on showdown.

Flop and turn looks fine for me and definately as bets for value.
      Though river turned out unexpected. So the result.

How to act in similar situations like this?
      Does cutting the profit that you can make from betting the river and check back will be better than shoving river and deal with whatever the player has?
  • 3 replies
    • kymupa

Preflop is fine.

What do you think about checking back the flop?
      We have a hand with which we can hardly look for three streets of value, so I'd rather check back on this dry board.

As played on the flop, I think we can bet the turn and take a free showdown.

On the river I would bet around $2.5.
      When he raises it mostly depends on whether or not we think he raises A4. If he does, we have 44% so we can comfortably call here.
      I think that against this guy we can't really fold two pair here on this board.

• ilioas
      My point of this hand is to make a strategy of being cautious when I see such betting pattern like chk/call; chk/call; chk/raise(instead of call).
      Normally raise occurs on turn.

So basically there is not much point in betting 3 streets due to flop texture and possible value hands in villains range.
      The value range is pocker pairs lower than AA other than that all the rest range will fold on flop bet.

Especially in this case I think that most likely hands that he would hold are pocket pairs. In this case river bet should be less than half pot to get a call from underpairs. And against a raise only way to interpret that would be that it improved to a set on turn or river card.
      And in this case it beats my two pair and I should fold.

Aah, and checking back flop would be a pot limiting tool of not letting it too large. And potentially get some bet from underpairs.
      Definately an option too.
    • kymupa
      Yeah, basically that's the point in checking. We disguise the strength of our hand and it would be easier for villains to check/call with some weak Ax or PP and we can get some bluffs.

I do agree that the check/call check/call check/raise line indicates strength, but we have to be aware of what kind of hands villain will try to indicate strength with.
      For example, there are players that are never raising two pair here, and there are people that are raise/calling with bottom two pair.
      Overall, I think that against a potentially bad player we have to call here, especially when the 3 hits the turn and makes less combos of sets for him.