What root should I take ?

• nvaz
      nvaz
      Bronze
      Hi guys, I'm on a waver.

Cliff notes:

Married, with one daughter (a 2 years old princess), a full time job. Main goal on poker is to make an extra income and improve as a player. Only have 10h/week (included weekends) of quality time to dedicate to poker (playing & studying). My main game is/was the $2.50 180man on PStars (have a 15% ROI on them in a 3.6k games sample) but they are very swingy and is mostly a volume game. I’ve busted some $20 bankrolls on minor sites playing cash game, so i think i'm not skilled for them. I want to develop my thought process and hand reading, instead of playing a gazillion of tables like a robot. My long term goal it to have a BR to play the big regulars MTT’s at weekends on PStars and some low-cost local live events.

What root should I take ?

Ty in advance :)
  • 6 replies
    • fortunewheel
      fortunewheel
      Bronze
      why not play 18 or 45 man turbo's? 45 man turbo's take about 1-1.5 hrs if i remember correctly. or play hypertrubo's if u want fast and furious action , easy to put in volume as well and u mainly only need to focus on push/fold strategies
    • nvaz
      nvaz
      Bronze
      Ty for your input but i don't think i'll improve my poker skills playing hyper-turbos :) (i'm not saying there's nothing to learn in them tough).
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Since your goal includes MTTs, what could be better than the 180 man ?

I also would not give up on cash games.

Please recognize that I am horribly biassed -- I prefer cash games over tournaments. I think that for learning, cash games provide a better opportunity to learn the basics.

You will learn:
      Position
      Hand values
      Reading opponents' hands

and all without pressure from ever-increasing blinds.
      For me it is very hard to learn these things when you have so much more to consider when playing a tournament -- things like relative stack sizes and so forth.

Everything you learn in cash games applies to tournaments -- but not necessarily the other way around.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      I also would not give up on cash games.

Please recognize that I am horribly biassed -- I prefer cash games over tournaments. I think that for learning, cash games provide a better opportunity to learn the basics.

You will learn:
      Position
      Hand values
      Reading opponents' hands
      ^^this tbh.

But then again I'm also a cash game player. Plus if you have bust some rolls it's kinda sucky to keep grinding cash.

But it also will improve your postflop game a lot.

Then there is the ICM game. Take a look in our poker tools section! You might find some stuff thats going to improve your game a lot.

Also don't forget about the hand evaluation forums! We have great judges and that will improve your game without a doubt!

Regards

RasTweet
    • nvaz
      nvaz
      Bronze
      I think i know the fundamentals of SNGMTT's and basically nothing about cash games, so idk if is a good idea to mix both, guess would be better to stick to one format.
    • liguolong
      liguolong
      Bronze
      Well, MTTs are games that require huge amount of volume/time since each game just take so long. And for turbo mtts, it is even more swingly and the edge is smaller. Maybe some sngs or hyper turbo games are better for you if you have little time and those games are profitable too. Maybe you are not good at those games yet, but you will improve later.