NL Holdem $0.25(BB) Replayer
      SB ($37.58)
      Hero ($43.33)
      UTG ($28.56)
      UTG+1 ($24.52)
      CO ($13)
      BTN ($31.08)

Dealt to Hero J:heart: A:heart:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.50, fold, Hero raises to $1.70, BTN calls $1.20

FLOP ($3.50) 2:club: Q:heart: 5:heart:

Hero bets $2, BTN raises to $4, Hero raises to $11, BTN raises to $29.38 (AI), Hero calls $18.38

TURN ($62.26) 2:club: Q:heart: 5:heart: 7:heart:

RIVER ($62.26) 2:club: Q:heart: 5:heart: 7:heart: T:club:

Villain absolutely unknown, 2 hands only.

Preflop I 3bet for value, since an average player at these stakes can definitely call with worse Aces and Jacks.

Standard cbet on the flop. Now when he minraises... I think people usually just call Qx in such spots. So I thought he is on a weak made hand like pocketpairs, a draw or a set. By re-raising I thought I'd fold out pocketpairs and if not, I have plenty of equity vs them, I beat draws, and if it is a set, so be it.
  • 1 reply
    • EmanuelC16

I think he is way more likely to have sets in his range given that you are slighltly deep and he just minraised preflop. I think cbetting with the plan of not folding is fine. Now, if he has a set, you get stack if you 3bet. If he has a middle pair he has to turn it into a bluff. This means he will bet turns or you see river at a great price, both of which are fine options. If he checks turn you can bet rivers. If he bets turn with a range of nuts and random air, you can check/shove profitably because of the folding equity you have and the fact that he only has 6 set combos realistically since QQ doesn't just flat preflop 100% of the time.

In other words, I dislike 3betting flop because you just force him to play his hands well quite often. If you just call his minraise, you get immediate odds vs anything and you can still win when you miss.