2-7 single draw tournaments???

• RDKNAUF91
      RDKNAUF91
      Bronze
      What u guys think about these ones. In Pokerstars they have couple of them runing every day. Seemed that they are very soft.

Maybe someone know where to find some strategy about them. I searched on google and the best i found was section in Doyles Book writen by Neagranu and it was about triple draw :(

Time to learn something new other than Holdem and Omaha :)
  • 8 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      There is one at PokerStrategy.com , but it is gold and above.

Have you played much lowball?

Are you comfortable with ranges?

NL 2-7 SD is like playing chicken w/ cards instead of cars.

tbh, I didn't know about these.

I'll have to have a look...

--VS
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      if you pay a lot of attention while you play and your good at reading your opponents then chances are you'll be good at nl27, once you've got the basic strategy down that is...

and yeah, those tourneys are very soft, lots of players just trying it out for a bit of fun and obviously having no clue.

have a look at this thread if you haven't seen it already.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I played an NL27 freeroll tonight.
      I just sat there like a lump until a good D1 or pat hand came along, the bet it strongly.

Seemed to work.

I came 287th out of 2000 or so.

The bustout hand is in my last blog entry -- I figured it was a good risk, since villain had bluff shoved twice before.

I might have another go another day, but they usually occur when I'm not available -- besides, the only prize is entry to another tournament I can't play.

There's an NL 5CD starting in a min or two.
      I've half a mind to watch it for a bit then enter just before late reg closes.

Then again, I have half a mind...

--VS
    • RDKNAUF91
      RDKNAUF91
      Bronze
      to VorpalF2F

I played a bit of lowball in home games and also some online. I am aware of hande ranges but in 2-7 triple draw. Have to adjust little in Single draw.

What you mean playing chicken with cards? :D

Maybe you played some lowball cash games in Pokerstars ,what you think about them??

to badgerer

Are you know something about lowball cash games ,if they soft and are worth playing?

• badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      triple draw cash games are excellent, if you don' tilt easily you will do well in these. there are plenty of inexperienced players and most of the regs are very fishy.

if you're going to play these i'd recommend reading negreanu's article and anything else you can find. observing your opponents and taking good notes is the key to success, draw players are creatures of habit.

but be prepared for some sick variance! make sure you have a big enough roll, somewhere between 500 and 1000 BB and as a beginner stick to the higher end of that range.

single draw cash games i am not qualified to judge. it's a different animal to triple draw. but i have heard others claim they are profitable.

i believe what vorpal means by 'playing chicken' is that there are plenty of good spots to bluff and make big calls in nl27, fortune favours the brave as someone once said.
    • RDKNAUF91
      RDKNAUF91
      Bronze
      Originally posted by badgerer
      triple draw cash games are excellent, if you don' tilt easily you will do well in these. there are plenty of inexperienced players and most of the regs are very fishy.

if you're going to play these i'd recommend reading negreanu's article and anything else you can find. observing your opponents and taking good notes is the key to success, draw players are creatures of habit.

but be prepared for some sick variance! make sure you have a big enough roll, somewhere between 500 and 1000 BB and as a beginner stick to the higher end of that range.

single draw cash games i am not qualified to judge. it's a different animal to triple draw. but i have heard others claim they are profitable.

i believe what vorpal means by 'playing chicken' is that there are plenty of good spots to bluff and make big calls in nl27, fortune favours the brave as someone once said.
      I read the Neagranus article it was preaty good and it definitely opened my eyes.

Thanks for the good answer ;)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      "Playing Chicken"
      In the classic version, as shown by Hollywood, two people drive cars on a head-on collision course. If one of them swerves before the other, his is "chicken" and loses. If they both swerve together, it's a tie. If neither swerve, they both lose ;( I think there is a game of chicken in American Graffiti, but I only ever saw it the once.

Where I grew up, nobody could afford cars.
      We stood on the railroad tracks, each player straddling a rail.
      The last person to dive down the embankment was the winner.

Large quantities of alcohol were usually involved.

The funniest part is that you had to wait until the train had passed to find out it the other guy was even alive. When he showed up, laughing his head off, you both realized that you were so focussed on the train that neither of you knew who jumped first.

I did this maybe twice (that I can remember anyway). The injuries from diving down the embankment were enough to put me off of it. Also, when we first started doing it, the engineers would hit the brakes when they saw us, and the shower of sparks made good entertainment. After the first few times, though, instead of the brakes, they opened the throttles, and it sent a rather different message.

Nobody was ever hurt playing this where I grew up -- other then cuts and bruises from diving down the embankment, ofc Well, no-one I knew anyway.

I can't believe that there is an entire Wikipedia article on the game
      (and our railroad track game doesn't really count apparently, because our actions have no influence on the other player. <sigh>).

So back to poker -- NL 2-7 SD
      I raise from BTN BB 3Bets
      We Draw
      I hit 97543
      BB Shoves

Now we're playing chicken with cards.
    • RDKNAUF91
      RDKNAUF91
      Bronze
      I think i understand what you mean :)