I Press All the Wrong Buttons

• Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Hello all,

I'm Verre and I have lots of bad blogs, bad poker skills, and all round bad everything when it comes to poker.

I've pretty much tried every form of online poker and cannot win for my life. I'm missing something key to being profitable over the longrun, as I can tend to win for short bursts before I blow it all switching games or going on a tilt run. I also have the awesome ability of knowing what button to press almost 100% of the time and only pressing it ~95% of the time! This means I lose all of my session profits and hit the negatives like a champ. I am great for the poker industry!

I think I have started 3? blogs here. All serious poker blogs. I can talk theory. I can talk strategy. But I cannot impliment it and therefore all blogs crash and burn. All graphs end up down. Heres how they all ended up....

So anyways my poker lifetime winnings.... Not so good. I've had a laptop stolen and a computer crash so I have no idea what my true losses are. With that being said I am a winner in MTTs over the long haul, and I've been playing since 2008. Then again I'm sure any profits I've ever made have been burried in all other games. Hmm no, lets make that positive. I just found my lifetime graph!

So anyways, why am I starting this blog if I suck? Do I want to make ANOTHER attempt at being average? The short answer is no. The long answer is no, I have a good job, good life, good family, own a house, own a car ect ect. I realize I dont need to have a income from poker as the time I will be able to put into it will not allow me to ever grind up a small roll into a large.

It took me a while but I realize I just need poker for a fun outlet. So what is the blog for? To post awesomely misplayed hands and to have some laughs. I may post some fail graphs (real ones) but I've started to play on stars mobile app at lunch hours so I will never have exact graphs.

With all of that said, I hope you enjoy the blog and my money, and I hope you'll come in and chat. After all, dont you always want to keep your customer happy?
  • 31 replies
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $10.54
      SB:
      $10.05
      BB:
      $7.08
      MP2:
      $30.53
      MP3:
      $12.82
      CO (Hero):
      $10.31

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6, 6.
      MP2 raises to $0.30, MP3 calls $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, BU calls $0.30, SB raises to $10.05, 3 folds, Hero raises to $10.31, BU folds.

Flop: ($21.36) Q, 9, J (2 players)

Turn: ($21.36) 9 (2 players)

River: ($21.36) T (2 players)

Final Pot: $21.36.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, nines and sixes(6 6).
      SB shows a full-house, queens full of nines(Q Q).

Hero wins with two pairs, nines and sixes(6 6).
      SB wins with a full-house, queens full of nines(Q Q).

So this is my first hand against villian (Should I call them villians? I think I'll call them benefactors). Anyways its called around and benefactor tanks. As hes doing so I think, "if he shoves its an easy fold". Never the less he shoves and it folds around to me. Now that its on me I realize if he had a big pair he would never shove! No, shoving would be foolish with a big pair. The only reasonable hand to make this exact play with is AK. Well then, I'm flipping against AK. I'm getting better odds than 50/50 to call. Well this is an obvious snap call!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi again Verre!

Nice shiny new blog!

If you know what the right button is 100% of the time, you're WWWWWAAAYYY ahead of me.

And if you only click the wrong one 5% of the time, that is hugely good.

Cheers!
      --VS
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Verre

So this is my first hand against villian (Should I call them villians? I think I'll call them benefactors). Anyways its called around and benefactor tanks. As hes doing so I think, "if he shoves its an easy fold". Never the less he shoves and it folds around to me. Now that its on me I realize if he had a big pair he would never shove! No, shoving would be foolish with a big pair. The only reasonable hand to make this exact play with is AK. Well then, I'm flipping against AK. I'm getting better odds than 50/50 to call. Well this is an obvious snap call!
      So YOU'RE one of those people! :f_biggrin: I swear you guys are the bane of my poker existence lol. Same limit and format also, in fact if you're playing on FT this might have been me. People who call all ins preflop because "it must be AK" but the annoying thing is, a lot of the time it is, since there's 16 combos of AK, and only 6 each of QQ KK AA. I also shove QQ like this because I often get snapped by things like 44, but have recently lost AK to 99, 77, JTo and 86s all of whom were huge dogs to my range but managed to get a race and won it. Why are people in such a hurry to "flip"? (even though sometimes its not a flip and they're screwed, and even a flip really isn't that great). Even if it's always AK (which it isn't) you'll both lose to rake in long run, soo???? Just something I can never understand, maybe you can help me out. :f_biggrin:
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by metza
      Why are people in such a hurry to "flip"? (even though sometimes its not a flip and they're screwed, and even a flip really isn't that great). Even if it's always AK (which it isn't) you'll both lose to rake in long run, soo???? Just something I can never understand, maybe you can help me out. :f_biggrin:
      Probubly because we are terrible at poker :f_biggrin: That and we feel we are always being "duped" and we dont like that feeling. As for the stakes/game, I've played everything. The difference between now and then is I'm going to play whatever I feel like and not try and stick to one game. Donate all over the poker world in other words :f_p:
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $19.80
      SB:
      $10.15
      BB:
      $9.48
      MP3 (Hero):
      $15.72
      CO:
      $9.33

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T, K.
      Hero raises to $0.30, CO folds, BU calls $0.30, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.75) 9, 8, 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, BU raises to $1.00, Hero raises to $2.00, BU calls $1.00.

Turn: ($4.75) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, BU calls $3.00.

River: ($10.75) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $10.42, BU calls $10.42.

Final Pot: $31.59.

EDIT: Hand Player is bugged for this hand and doesn't show results. He had QJo.

Standard pre. The flop is hilarious due to the fact that he raises so small, and then I think, "he raised so small, either hes got a draw and will call or he will have an overpair/set and shove. If he has a pair he will call and fold to any overcard on the turn!". He calls, I go ahead with my plan but get a call :s_o: The river is the nuts and I decided to bet like I have it. To my utter surprise there was someone in this hand that played it worse than me!

Play hand

$0/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $14.48
      BB:
      $1.96
      MP3 (Hero):
      $30.65
      CO:
      $22.85

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 4, 5.
      Hero raises to $0.30, CO calls $0.30, BU raises to $1.60, BB folds, Hero calls $1.30, CO folds.

Flop: ($3.6) 8, J, K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $2.75, Hero raises to $28.40, BU calls $10.13(All-In).

Turn: ($44.88) J (2 players)

River: ($44.88) Q (2 players)

Final Pot: $44.88.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of jacks(4 5).
      BU shows two pairs, aces and jacks(A A).

Hero wins with a pair of jacks(4 5).
      BU wins with two pairs, aces and jacks(A A).

Standard bad hand. I call pre for "deception". I plan a check raise since he raises 30% pre. I think he will fold anything to a shove other than AK/KK/JJ/AA/88/KJ. It doesn't seem like there is much left to fold but with a 15% 3bet in a good squeeze position I thought at the time there was. Wrong (maybe).

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $30.36
      SB:
      $9.86
      BB (Hero):
      $10.00
      MP2:
      $12.98
      MP3:
      $9.85
      CO:
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, Q.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.27, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.17.

Flop: ($0.59) T, A, T (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.39) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.90, Hero raises to $2.30, MP3 calls $1.40.

River: ($5.99) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $7.03(All-In), MP3 calls $6.88.

Final Pot: $19.9.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, kings and tens(K Q).
      MP3 shows two pairs, aces and tens(A 5).

Hero wins with two pairs, kings and tens(K Q).
      MP3 wins with two pairs, aces and tens(A 5).

In this hand I forget I am playing NL10. I visioned myself playing Phil Ivey and Tom Dwan. Any real player KNOWS I play a T here with this line everytime. But I forget who my opponenet is and I get snapped off by exactly what I thought he had. I bet he was surprised.

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $5.58
      BB:
      $10.71
      MP3 (Hero):
      $16.97
      CO:
      $19.32
      BU:
      $23.85

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 4, 7.
      Hero raises to $0.30, CO folds, BU raises to $1.05, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.75.

Flop: ($2.25) 2, 9, 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1.10, Hero raises to $2.50, BU calls $1.40.

Turn: ($7.25) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, BU calls $3.00.

River: ($13.25) 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $10.42, BU calls $10.42.

Final Pot: $34.09.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, fours(4 7).
      BU shows two pairs, jacks and fours(J J).

Hero wins with three of a kind, fours(4 7).

And the best part about playing like a super fish. No one ever thinks you can have the hands you actually have. Why would he ever expect me to have a 4? The answer is he wouldn't!

I wont ruin the post with my profit/loss totals from the session because it might make you think I actually have a clue :f_p:
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      e
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Only 1000 play money??? WHAT IS THIS????

EDIT: Also you may want to edit that picture since it's got email address and physical address, you might not want that there. :f_biggrin:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi Verre,
      Metza is quite correct -- for safety reasons I edited your post so the image doesn't show.

When you have the photo edited, you can just edit your own post and take the xs out of the image tags.

Well spotted, metza -- thanks!

--VS
    • kennethjeu
      kennethjeu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Hi Verre,
      Metza is quite correct -- for safety reasons I edited your post so the image doesn't show.

When you have the photo edited, you can just edit your own post and take the xs out of the image tags.

Well spotted, metza -- thanks!

--VS
      i advise you to edit out the whole link, now you can also copy the link and open it in other browser, still shows you the pic :)
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Good call guys lol, thought it was funny didn't even think.

I lost set over set in hu200 to lose my roll. Was a shame but super fun. So the pic showed me with 0 dollars and 1700 fpps. I turned those into $57 dollars! Going to be interesting where this goes lol.

Edit: also thankfully it wasn't my current address, but screens and email where :p
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Time for an update.

After losing all my profits at hu on a cooler hand (br what?), I've made a resurgence with my $0.

While its true that my 1700 fpps have some cash value, the only item I could buy was a $10 bonus. From there I have built it up to $81 in less than 24 hrs. Not a bad roi!

So it's true, I have been playing a more bland math oriented no artistic game that I have been a winner in over a 3000 game sample. So it's true I've won 200+ bi in those games. The games don't intrigue me as the artistic games do. Unfortunately I have never been artistic.

Second problem, the one that has always made me switch out of this proven winner time and time again. I don't think my strat in this particular game can succeed at the $15s and above. My strategy relies solely on players making TERRIBLE calls in the early stages which sets me up in the later stages to take down games easily hu. When the well of terrible players dries up to a puddle of mediocre regs I do not think this strategy is viable.

With all that said I might not have a choice. It's either continue to go busto over and over or grind out a game I don't see a future in for profits now.
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Today was a bit of a treat.

The game I have been playing are 6max hyper turbos. I played 120 games today at a solid 16 bi under ev :f_cool: The nice thing is I am still in the profit by a few bi. I was hoping I'd double up my br today but that required me to run at ev.

I will be continuing with these games as winning>fun seems to be a smart choice. I'll try and put in at least 60 of these games a day. Will go with very aggro brm as I am now. Heck I started at 0 dollars and have only played the $3.50 games. BRM was non existant in that. If I get a $350 roll I'll move up to $7s and always move down below $350.

If I get $1000 br I'll move up to the $15s. This is where I think things will get interesting because I'm not sure my strategy will work here. With that said I could be completely wrong and it may work even better. We shall see.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      I think you shouldn't worry too much about whether or not your strategy will be profitable at higher levels.

Apart from ICM stage (which isn't this most of hyper turbos anyway?) isn't it just adapting to your opponents faster than they adapt to you? As long as you keep working on this I think you'll be fine. If not you can deal with it when you get there. :f_biggrin:
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      Today was a bit of a treat.

The game I have been playing are 6max hyper turbos. I played 120 games today at a solid 16 bi under ev :f_cool: The nice thing is I am still in the profit by a few bi. I was hoping I'd double up my br today but that required me to run at ev.

I will be continuing with these games as winning>fun seems to be a smart choice. I'll try and put in at least 60 of these games a day. Will go with very aggro brm as I am now. Heck I started at 0 dollars and have only played the $3.50 games. BRM was non existant in that. If I get a $350 roll I'll move up to $7s and always move down below $350.

If I get $1000 br I'll move up to the $15s. This is where I think things will get interesting because I'm not sure my strategy will work here. With that said I could be completely wrong and it may work even better. We shall see.
      good luck, your gonna need it with that BRM. it can work as long as you are super disciplined about moving down. you will probably find yourself bouncing up and down the limits quite a lot. i would consider mentally preparing yourself in advance for when you do have to move back down otherwise it might become a bit of an ordeal for you.

seriously, good luck with this, looking forward to updates.
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Its been a few days since I turned that $0 into $81, and guess what. I'm still at $81.

I feel like I'm just spinning my tires in the mud. I've played almost 400 6 max hyper turbos. I've run 30 BI below EV and basically ran a 0 profit line over all the games.

On the bright side I will claim a battle of the planets bonus on monday. Apparently I was in the top 20 of people at my stake for a 20 game period.

Mentally this game is taking a bit of a toll atm. I feel I'm playing good but I'm getting crushed 3 handed by bad beats and coolers. Over the last few days I've come in 3rd 24% of the time. This is a huge issue as usually thats my first place %, slowly grading down to about 12% for 6th. Now my finishing positions look like a pyramid. Not viable over the long term.

I will be continuing with this hopefully for another 1500 games at least to see if I can push through this barrier.
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      I heard from a few friends that the government poker site here in Canada (only Bc and Quebec) has some of the softest games around.

I deposited some cash and my goodness were they right! Unfortunately in some spots I ran super bad. In one spot I got 120bb in on the turn with a flopped flush against the naked A. My shove on the turn was 1.5x pot and I still got insta called. Of course river spade for the four flush.

Another hand I flopped a set of 8s 200bb effective stacks. The hand played out similar except I only had about a pot size bet left after he donk/3 bet me on the flop and then lea out in the turn. On a board of KQ98 I got it in against KJ and lost. All of that was made up on one of th most ridiculous hands I have ever played.

JTs in the co 220bb effective. I call mps open. Sb who has 160bb 3 bets and mp and I call. Flop is JT6 with a fd on board. Sb opens mp calls and I raise. Both of them call. Turn is a 6 no fd and both check. At this point I have almost 2x pot but sb only has about 4/10th pot. I decide I'm just going to shove. To my uprise both SNAP call. On this site u do not reveal hole cards. You must look at the replayed after. Only the winning hand is shown. The river is a disastrous Q filling the flush and any other straight or 2 pair draw possible. Both villains muck.......

Sb had AJo and mp had T9o??????? I was quite happy about that lol. There are some other crazy hands too but this is already dragging. Never the less ill be putting in some more time at this site.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      What limits are available?
      Last I looked the lowest was NL 200 -- way out of my league
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Nope its all the way down to NL4. The players are beyond terrible, except for a few sharks. The rake is high though so be careful.

I built my roll up to $200 playing nl 6 max cash. I was playing NL10 and NL30 mix when I got into this hand where I got completely outplayed.

It was at NL30 and we where deep and only 3 handed. I had $65 and the bu had $150+.

Hero has A :spade: A :club:

Bu bets $1, Sb calls, Hero raises to $4, Bu calls, Sb folds.

Flop: T :diamond: 3 :club: 3 :diamond: .

Hero Bets $9, Bu Calls.

Turn 3 :heart: .

Hero bets $12, Bu raises $80, Hero calls and is all in.

River 9 :diamond: .

Bu shows T :heart: T :diamond: and wins $131.

Never the less at this point I shut down all my tables. Its not often I get duped that bad. I convinced myself he would do that with any T, KK, QQ, JJ, 99 as well, but I'm not so sure. He was a good player.

My roll is at $150. I think what I am going to do is play NL10 just two tabling. I'm going to work directly on my note taking. This is my biggest weakness right now and I severely need to focus on it.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      IMO, overpairs vs sets is the one place "thinking in ranges" falls apart.

You are right -- he could do this with many different overpairs, but so could you, and if he knows that, what could he possibly have that would drive him to play this way against overpairs?

I got caught this way often with overpairs, so I I would play check/call and ended up getting far less for my big pairs than I should.

Which is worse?