"Fast Hand Poker" and new player

• Spikelema
      Spikelema
      Bronze
      Hello (Very old account making a come back),

I have just a couple of questions as someone who wants to try working into poker as an income supplement (I am studying full time and would like to do some independent projects which would mean very sporadic income). Poker being the source that allows me to maintain some form of cash-flow to keep me from going broke.

The questions are:

1) Are Fast hand poker games harder/easier/relatively the same, as a typical table (eg. Zoom) as I find that Zoom interest me more than other forms.

2) How much time should be devoted to poker to build it up to be more of a "job" and less of a "hobby"? (Just rough guild-lines)

3) Should it be a priority to ensure I am on a tracked room to ensure I am in fact getting PS points and from that able to access the more advanced articles?

4) Finally, as someone who for simplicity sake is completely "new" $50 starting capital, assuming the workload in 2) is applied how long would it take to start earning any meaningful amount (taking into account simple variation)? By meaningful I am implying enough to possibly pay rent and afford food without "flashy" expenses.

EDIT:

5) I have the full version of HM2, I was wondering if there was a hud suggestion for Zoom poker?
  • 4 replies
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Spikelema!

Good to see you're getting active again!

1) I don't know if they are easier or not. But fish like to play FAST so fast folding holding is perfect for fish. The downside is that it is hard to create reads on opponents. So you'll have to do a good database review and make notes/reads later on in stead of during the game.
      But I'm playing both regular and fast fold poker and I can't say I'm making more money on fast fold then regular tables. Tbh I think it's a personal choice.

2) I really can't say. Some can do it in a year, some are lifetime micro grinders.

3) Well if you are tracked you will have access to more learning material. If you want it to become your job you can use all the material available. So I would say yes.

4) Same answer as 2. Really can't say anything about that.

5) This is personal preference. Some ppl like a lot of stats in their HUD (5 to 6 lines), others can't stand it (2 lines). Just try out some stuff and see what you need/want...

I hope this answered your questions? If you have any more just shoot!

Regards

RasTweet
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      1. They arn't harder or easier they are just a different type of game.. people tend to 3bet/4bet less as bluffs, and its easier to steal blinds and not have to get in to many spots..

My wr on reg tables is higher, but my hourly is higher on zoom tables.

2. Its player dependant.. Lets say 1year from scratch.

3. PS points are pretty decent with material, but its not 'essential' If you can do it, then do it. Ive not had the fortune of being able to be tracked on any site I play on, so i cant answer fully. The forums/support and PS.com/team are awesome though, so with 0 points its still worth while.

4. 1 year.. It depends on good you are.. And what your expenses are.. my monthly expenses are pretty 'high' and $1/$2 and $2/5 fulfil my needs perfectly fine.

5. Yeah, but it breaks constantly :D
    • liguolong
      liguolong
      Bronze
      I prefer fast folding poker because I am a LAG player and ppl fold more on those tables which make my play more profitable.
      2 I spent about 1 year( while studying in university, so not much time spent really) to get to 1k dollar from 0. After that I think it is possible to live with it if I grind like 8-10 hours a day. Now I can make about 30 dollar/hour on average after 2-3 years (Again, I am in university and had breaks e.g. after black friday or when I am revising for exams etc.).
      3 Well, I got some material fro ps at the start and it probably helped me. But since Black friday, it is hard for me to get ps pts as my pokerstar account isn't tracked by PS. There are plenty other places to get free poker materials, and I think practicing at the tables is much more important than learning.
      4 1 year for me thus, but if you grind more, probably much much less.
      5 For me only PR/VPIP/3bet, CB/ FCB ranges are enough. since it is always hard to get enough nr of hands to make other stats useful.
    • Spikelema
      Spikelema
      Bronze
      Thank you all for the information.

1 Year does not seem like an impossible goal and I think I enjoy playing enough to work my way through the initial "disaster" period, work on my mistakes and feel comfortable.

Past that it sounds like the longer you play the better it gets, which is completely logical. I will keep working my way through the material and earning points.

I am looking forward to the stage where I am not having to look over to the charts just to figure out if I can play hand x or not. Or even being able to feel comfortable enough to make my own informed decisions.

(Also looking forward to actually knowing what half the statistics you can track on HM2 actually mean :P )

I can not think off the top of my head any other questions, but I will be sure to ask if something comes to mind.