How do you study?

• metza
      I am looking for other ways to study no limit hold'em, as the more the better.

At the moment I:
      :diamond: Look at different flop textures and how these connect with my ranges and opponents ranges from different positions in different spots.
      :diamond: Apply the conclusions drawn from this to hands from the day which fit this criteria, eg. if I was studying BTN vs Blinds I would put a filter on my database to look at how I was currently playing in these spots and then think about how I can use what I've learned to improve in these spots.

While it is definitely helping me, I would be interested to know what other ways of studying Poker people are using. :f_biggrin:
  • 7 replies
    • ionutd
      Honestly, don't do the database filter business, it's all too generic to work

Rather, take several regs you have a lot of hands on, everyday, and find ways of exploiting them, watch hands you played together, think about how you'd play them differently, knowing what you now do.

Also, play with Equilab, set some fixed ranges, as in loose lp call, tight bb call, so on, and figure out good flops to cb. Once you get good with that, look at what % of their flop calling range (look at ftcb stat when working with hands) you can get them to fold on the turn, as in how much marginal stuff is getting there.

If you master the above, I guarantee your winrate will increase dramatically because there are very common spots and you'l have that little edge over and over again. It also helps with narrowing down ranges on the river. Gl to you.
    • holmeboy
      I watch the odd video and play that's about it. I've stagnated a bit so I'm trying to take it more seriously so I can move up the limits.

But my plan for this is:

Take a topic (3betting at the moment) and watch some vids and read some articles taking plenty of notes along the way, then after each sesson:

:diamond: Filter for hands that I 3b

:diamond: Filter for hands that I could have 3b

And using equilab along with my notes from articles/vids try and put it all together: Find spots I may have missed, work on constructing ranges v diff opponents etc. And any mistakes I find I want to note them down and keep them beside me next time I play. I'll probably post 2/3 hands on hand eval a day and go through them properly to make sure I'm going in the right direction.

Hopefully after 2 weeks of that, working out ranges etc will become second nature and I can move on to the next thing. If I could significantly improve 2 facets of my game a month it would be amazing.

That plus looking over marked hands, and going through 1/2 regs a week maybe.
    • staselu
      I have the same strategy as holmeboy ,
      also hand reviews in holdem manager, with a poker friend it is very useful, when another person looks at your game and points some leaks you don't see by yourself
    • i5bet72o
      Easiest and most effective way to study: Sweat sessions
      2nd best: Posting your HH and discussing HHs on a forum that gets decent volume
      3rd best: Watch strategy videos
    • VBlue
      I am taking an online coaching course at the moment.

We follow a subject each month:

- How to Play Aggresively Pre-Flop & Dominate Aggresive Players
      - How to Beat Up Weak Players & Take Their Chips
      - How to Use Hand Ranges to Own Your Opponents
      - How to Bluff

The subjects are delivered in 4 video modules of about 30 mins each, the 4th being an interview with a top pro on each subject - Kevin MacPhee, Jake Ellwood, Sam Holden, Karl Mahrenholz.

Some bonus material to help analyse your current game, set goals, and interview with Brian Townsend on 4-betting.

Each video module then has 2/3 tasks to help you to work each new aspect into your game. In the first month, this might be something like playing 2/3 sessions where every time someone open raises you 3-bet in position. Or for 2/3 sessions every time someone 3-bets you, you either 4-bet or fold.

It is not a long-term plan to play like this but gets you used to doing it and makes it more normal. You then evaluate how this affects your game, your opponents, successes, problems it causes, etc.

I subscribe to this step-by-step intorduction of new concepts into your game.

I also do mental work, in a similar fashion, working in new concepts from The Mental Game of Poker, Jared Tendler - into my pre-game, in-game, and post-game routine.

I also use a program similar to Equilab to work on equity calculations. I post 2-3 hands per week online for feedback from my peers. Be careful with this and ensure that the advice that you receive back is knowledgable advice from players who have the experience to give you good answers. Also, make sure you provide enough info to allow them to give you the best feedback.

You can build a routine for yourself utilsing a Process Model, the Adult Learning Model, and Inchworm - all concepts discussed by Jared Tendler. Effectively, they are ways in which you can ensure you learn more effectively and in a more structured manner.

Please feel free to ask more questions on this and I'll do what I can to help.
    • NateMilla
      Honestly dude, I watch a lot of WPT and WSOP re-runs that I've seen before. I play a lot of MTT's and I'll spend a lot of time watching videos on DTB and other sites. Reading concept books and applying concepts helps a lot.

Honestly, sometimes the best thing in my opinion is use your imagination simulator. You're on sb holding 5s8s and one UTG raises 2x bb and 3 tight players call. What do you do?

What if assume we out front by making that call or even raising? Why, that's just stupid. Well the other day, I watched a video that discussed reciprocation value, just by playing this seemingly "bad" hand differently than someone else you should be gaining +EV (even though your hud reads -.08. The worst thing you can do is read your way into the poker world money exchange by becoming a cookie cutter. Just my take.
    • gp00053
      As you see by all the posts, studying is the same as playing a hand, very player dependent. While studying you want to apply what works for you. Example There is almost no circumstances, under which I would study with a live sweat session. ; now a recorded sweat session no problem. There's no denying live sweats work , they just don't work for me. So first thing you want to figure out is what works for you.

Having said that, this is what I do. I get every video on the buyin and game type I'm playing and watch rewatch and study. As well I go to the site I will be playing at and the stake I will be playing.and watch 1 or 2 tables taking notes on pre and post flop play and try to see the good players mark them and in future I look for them and keep watching their play adding to my notes on them. I review every session I play by position , winners and losers, noting what I did right and wrong make a note and try not to make the same mistakes I made before and do more of what I did right. I also get my data base analized looking for good and bad plays and any leaks as well. The main thing no matter how you choose to study. . .do it and do it on a regular basis

Hope this helps Good Luck