[NL20-NL50] AKo Zoom NL50

• batmanbatmanbatman
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, A.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $1.50, 3 folds, Hero raises to $4.50, MP3 calls $3.00.

Flop: ($9.25) 3, 5, 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $6.00, MP3 calls $6.00.

Turn: ($21.25) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $11.00, MP3 calls $11.00.

River: ($43.25) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $47.60, Hero ? (~34$ left to call).

Opp: Reg, 18% open MP, 22% call vs 3bet, 57% fold vs 3bet, 35% fold to conti in 3bet pot, 31% fold to turn conti, 73% bet turn vs missed conti. 76% bet river vs missed conti.

I 3bet pre with plans to get it in vs 4bet. When he calls, I conti because of the BD FD + STRAIGHT draws + the ton of turn scary cards on which I can second barrel.

Turn: Looking back I should just c/f because if I don't do it with this hand then I don't do it with any hand. Not sure wether I wanted to value vs draws or bluff vs 66-77-99-TT.

River: His 76% bet vs missed makes me want to call so bad. There are some draws there that could bet here, like AQ, AK spades of hearts. But it would make more sense if he would just check those as I think my hand looks a lot like some bluff catcher. On another hand, what would his value range be? Is he not raising the turn with sets? Other than QQ and AJ of hearts, I don't really see what showdown hand he could turn up here if I call.

1. Can you tell me if I am right and I should c/f turn or I should just go aheand and c/f the flop directly?
      2. What would his river bet range be here? What should myc/c and bet ranges should be on the river?
      3. Please read the spoiler after you answer the first 2 questions. It contains a third question.

Hand result:
      I called and he showed 99. I was puzzled because I never give him 99 in the bet vs missed range here. How should I adapt given this info?

• 2 replies
    • w34z3l
      Hey batmanbatmanbatman,

I would flat call preflop to keep opponents range wide vs an MP open. Especially because he has a high-ish fold to 3bet. Usually you will not have the dynamic to 3bet/5bet AK vs MP in zoom.

Given his stats you basically have to choose between check/folding or 3 barreling. Firing 2 and then giving up on the river could easily be a mistake because he apparently does not fold to flop or turn cbets. By his stats I would assume he is quite bad and that check/folding is good, you will get paid off enough in situations where you do have a strong made hand.

I understand what you are saying about the river. Hard to see him even shoving something like Jx, because what worse will call unless it is hero calling. I don't think a call is unreasonable. I would have played the hand differently at an earlier point though.

After reading spoiler - either this is some sick merge bet or villain does not know what he is doing. Absolute hand strength becomes a little more important against these opponents. In situations where your opponent appears to be polarised he easily might not be - the value of bluff catching goes down.
    • batmanbatmanbatman
      Hey w34z3l,

The reason for which I am not flatting is because I am really uncomfortable with AK-Q-Jo type of hands OOP vs aggro opponents. I prefer that I end the action preflop when possible.

However I'll start just flatting these type of hands vs these types of opponents and I will come back with more hands for evaluation.

Thanks for the detailed answer,