Ricco88

• Ricco88
      Ricco88
      Bronze
      Hey guys,
      this is Ricco (24) from Germany, at the moment I life and work in Melbourne, which is a great place to stay. I already played a lot of successful BSS poker in the past but due to the black friday I quit poker for a bit. Well now back in business I want to re-study all the stuff again from the basics and to avoid getting bored I decided to choose the english beginner's course - so, here I am!
      Cheers!

Btw: I swaped from FR to SH (rush) based on traffic reasons and edge.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Yeah, easy question! Everyone should play poker for fun and excitement but honestly for some pocket money as well ! ;)

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Since I'm playing casual I really like action which is not the best for my A-Game, I have to realise that I'm not that good anymore that I maybe was once. That goes hand in hand with the fact that I tend to overrate myself a lot. Last but not least I'm a lazy person, but thats the reason why I'm here.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      TAG describes a player who is playing with a tight handrange that he tries to play in an aggressive way. The main reason why it works is the equity for the handrange of the TAG and the way he induces mistakes of his opponents by changing the odds with betsizes for example. As well he attacks specific boards to buy a pot. A good TAG should always know his odds and should always know when he is in principle beat.
  • 9 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello Ricco,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • Ricco88
      Ricco88
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      The SHC doesn't consider specific situations and information like stack size, player types and the resulting implied odds. For example when me and villain playing deepstacked I would call so much more broadway hands and suited connectors or one/two-gappers, preferably in position, for a huge pot when he's doing mistakes.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      I've choosen a turnplay question but nevermind.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      And the winner goes to 5% range. :s_frown:
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% AKo
      MP3 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Ricco88
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      The SHC doesn't consider specific situations and information like stack size, player types and the resulting implied odds. For example when me and villain playing deepstacked I would call so much more broadway hands and suited connectors or one/two-gappers, preferably in position, for a huge pot when he's doing mistakes.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      I've choosen a turnplay question but nevermind.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      And the winner goes to 5% range. :s_frown:
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% AKo
      MP3 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo
      Well done,

Homework 2 complete !

Q1: Very well said. The most important thing is always the player(s) you are facing and the information you have on them. And the first information we always have is position followed by stack size.

Q2: Keep posting the hands you are unsure about and don't forget to give the judges as much info as you can.
    • Ricco88
      Ricco88
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQs. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?
      Ok preflop it's a coinflip.
      The flop is like pain in the ass, but we are still live. 7 outs to the clean flush and a runner runner. I would guess 22%. Let's have a look...oh 26% way better than expected :)

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

After the minraise the pot is $0,91, $0,22 to call thats 1:4; against 44c I have 20% against any A4 22% thats 1:5, longterm with a call we would lose -$0,17(EV) with each call...
      I see no hands in his range where I can start a bluff that could have success.

If we would know, that he can't fold his straight, even when there is a flush on the river. We could call for implieds but as a thinking player he will maybe just call 1/2 PS on the river against our donk and we definitely don't wan't to play c/r on the river.

On the other hand if we would know that villain always throws away his straight against a flush on the river we should call to bluff both flushes! In this case we have around 40% to "hit" any flush on the river and win by bluff AllIn.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      SH AQs 4way - Linecheck
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Ricco,

Congrats, homework 3 complete.

Q1: You weren't far off so I wouldn't call it far better :)

7 cleans out give us about 28% but they are not all 100% clean because the board can still pair after we hit a clean out. So we can reduce a few % and that's how we get closer to 26% :)

Q2: I like that you put in a lot of work for your answer. Keep in mind that a player that checks the flop and minraises turn is rarely a "thinking" opponent, especially at 2nl. And since we have a backdoor flush we are very likely to get paid off by hands such as straights so our implied odds are strong.

Best of luck,

Bogdan
    • Ricco88
      Ricco88
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.
      SH NL5 FAST A2s

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.
      There it is!

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?
      Ok...I think I'm definitely behind but I have a gutshot that gives me the better straight and 2 Overcards, so it couldn't be too bad. I would guess I have like 42,5% in this spot.

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3    58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Well that was close, cheers equity trainer :s_love:
    • Ricco88
      Ricco88
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.
      NL5SH FAST J9s

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members:

That's it

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7-handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6Diamond , 7Diamond
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3Diamond , 3Heart , TDiamond (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) JDiamond (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?
      This is a tricky spot because on the one hand we can argue with potcontrol, on the other with protection and value. But i would rather bet like $3,5 than just call the donk. But I think I'm way behind if the SB shoves so it will be a 3b/f.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8-handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with JHeart , JSpade
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6Heart , 9Spade , TClub (2 players)
      Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

In this spot I would definitly play check/raise because villain is very aggressive and goes a little too often to the SD. I think he will bet this flop, so theres no reason to donk, check/call is senseless, too because I don't want to face any overcards, I just want to win the pot NOW.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Ricco88
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.
      SH NL5 FAST A2s

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.
      There it is!

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?
      Ok...I think I'm definitely behind but I have a gutshot that gives me the better straight and 2 Overcards, so it couldn't be too bad. I would guess I have like 42,5% in this spot.

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3    58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Well that was close, cheers equity trainer :s_love:
      Hi Ricco,

Well done, homework 4 complete, congrats !

Everything looks good.

Keep up the good work.

Best regards,

Bogdan
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Well done, homework 5 complete as well.

Q1-Q2: looks good

Q3: looks good as well.

Q4: Why ck/raise and not ck/call? What worse hands do we get value from by ck/raising?