What am I doing wrong??

• Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Hello, I received my $50 yesterday, and have played a lot of hands, following the shortstack strategy.

I readed all the articles and I am following all the instructions, but now I have about $40... what happens is that I keep folding and folding (because u play very few hands w shortstack, right? :P ) and when I have a good hand, I raise and everyone else folds so I dont win much. And when they call, i usually end up losing ... ok i win sometimes too, but my points is... is the strategy worth playing if when you lose you lose $2.00 and when u win u win like 0.15 - 0.25 ??? (Im playing NL0.05-0.1)
  • 4 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello Volrath89,

You might simply experiencing some bad luck at the moment - but I can't really say this without look at the individual hands in which you lost money.

Check out our hand posting guide (Hand posting guide) - and post some of the hands in which you lost money in the SSS sample hand forum (http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1436) so our professional judges can tell you if you are playing correctly.

The sample hand forum is one of the most useful tools for improving your game and you will surely get good answers there :)

Best regards and better luck at the tables!
      SoyCD
    • lyly13
      lyly13
      Bronze
      another thing i'm thinking about is the fact that i see at fulltilt a lot of players with only 2$ at a table ..sometimes 4 of them at one table .. so they are all using the same strategy i guess.... when someone who allready knows this strategy sees u raising he allready knows u're hand range ..... i read that it is better to enter tables with very few shortstacks because most of the times they don't know the SSS so it's important how u pick the tables .. GL
    • meredori
      meredori
      Bronze
      I doubt many people in the lower limits are actually using SSS. I play at partypoker and I see a lot of $2 players who are loose players or just call raises and reraises.

The poker career involves upswings and downswings and I believe you have been unlucky enough to experience an early downswing. If you keep grinding away at the strategy you will recover. A good suggestion from above is to post a few of your hands in the forum you will be surprised about the small mistakes you will make.

Also the reason about entering a table with less SS is because people with more money are more likely to call your push with a weaker hand.
    • Vevusio
      Vevusio
      Bronze
      imo you shouldnt be playing 0.05/0.1 but start with 0.02/0.04

you even lack 10$ according to the BRM article with 50$ start to play at 0.05/0.1 but ok, after losing and landing at 40$ you should definitely move down the limit

since i only started playing 1 week ago and cash 2 days ago i especially try to build up rather 40 buyins than the suggested 30 because i dont feel secure enough yet

and playing with 0.01/0.02 i have earned 8.5$ now in those 3 days (actually 2 since ive been at 10$ alrdy today but screwed up badly *g*)

also if you maybe decide to play at 0.01/0.02 as i do atm where the min buyin is 50BBs so 1$ you cant really play short stack since your stack is way too big

so what i ended up doing is playing the starting hands chart mostly but a little loose like limping behind on something like QXs or with KJ limping behind on the button if nobody raised