sipox

• sipox
      sipox
      Bronze
      Hey everybody! My name is Jose, I'm 22 and I am spanish. I started playing poker 3 years ago, so I am not a beginner although i decided to take this course because i think it is a great idea. I' ve been out of the tables for a year and a half by now, due to the weird situation online poker is living here in Spain. I came back to them again in september for like a month and I crushed NL2 and was starting to try NL5 but i had to quit because I did not have enough time because of my studies and my job.

So, after this brief introduction, I decided to take this course, now that i have time, and try to become a successful NL BSS online player as I have always wanted. I want to start right from the beginning to make sure this time is going to be, hopefully THE one :)

Greetings,
      sipox.
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello Jose,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • sipox
      sipox
      Bronze
      Hey everybody, this post is to do my first lesson homework. I have read a lot of articles to remember the basic stuff, played some videos, I attended the coaching podcast and now I am ready to finish my homework and play some poker afterwards:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I have always loved this game, and i have always dreamt of being a successful poker player. I would love to reach and beat NL100+. It would be great to have a poker monthly income for my efforts, apart from my current job. Poker has always been a passion of mine. And I have always wanted to take part in an EPT, specially in Bahamas. So, maybe one day! :)

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

My main weaknesses are tilt, impatience, leveling against worse players and some overaggression from time to time. But the main problem is the impatience, when I don't consider my bankroll is increasing fast enough, it leads to tilt, and it leads to not respecting the BRM, and it then leads to losing it all, regreting it all, and giving myself some time to go back to poker. So this time i have to work on a ver strict BRM, tilt control, and try to be the most patient player ever. Also i need to take as a serious habit making session reviews.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Being a Tight Agressive player means you select carefully the hands you are going to play preflop, and then you play them aggresively until the end of the hand. Controlled aggression, not Maniac aggression. Since some concepts such as pot control are very important in the TAG style.

Well, time to go back to the tables for a bit, and after a session review I'll move on to the lesson 2.

Greetings!
    • sipox
      sipox
      Bronze
      Ok so let's finish the lesson two. First of all I have read every article, watched every video and also the podcast of the coaching. I have been playing NL2 and I have made 18k hands so far with pretty good results. Here is the graph:

So now, lets finish with this lesson by doing the homework so that i can move to lesson 3:
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

First of all i think the standard chart is pretty small and tight. First thing i have changed is that i OR every pocket pair from every position, since I really think it is very profitable. And then the stealing range. It is extremely tight in the standard table so I attempt to steal with any suited connectors, one-gappers, broadways, pocket pairs, and sometimes suited kings. I have learnt to decide wether to steal or not depending on the opponents, thanks to the stats and a player classifying note color system. So if the opponent has like a 90% of fold to steal, i almost attempt to steal with any two. Results so far have been quite amazing, really profitable. Also the range of 3 betting has been adapted. Depending on the opponents of course, but i think Ax and som Kx hands are very good for 3 betting as a resteal because they are blockers.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I have had plenty of questions about preflop play and here are some of the hands posted for evaluation. Btw, i have to say it is amazing how fast and accurate the replies come back :)

QQ in 3bet 3way pot
      AKo vs 4bet preflop

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Entering the data in Equilab it shows that AKo has a 46.32% equity against that range.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by sipox
      Hey everybody, this post is to do my first lesson homework. I have read a lot of articles to remember the basic stuff, played some videos, I attended the coaching podcast and now I am ready to finish my homework and play some poker afterwards:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I have always loved this game, and i have always dreamt of being a successful poker player. I would love to reach and beat NL100+. It would be great to have a poker monthly income for my efforts, apart from my current job. Poker has always been a passion of mine. And I have always wanted to take part in an EPT, specially in Bahamas. So, maybe one day! :)

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

My main weaknesses are tilt, impatience, leveling against worse players and some overaggression from time to time. But the main problem is the impatience, when I don't consider my bankroll is increasing fast enough, it leads to tilt, and it leads to not respecting the BRM, and it then leads to losing it all, regreting it all, and giving myself some time to go back to poker. So this time i have to work on a ver strict BRM, tilt control, and try to be the most patient player ever. Also i need to take as a serious habit making session reviews.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Being a Tight Agressive player means you select carefully the hands you are going to play preflop, and then you play them aggresively until the end of the hand. Controlled aggression, not Maniac aggression. Since some concepts such as pot control are very important in the TAG style.

Well, time to go back to the tables for a bit, and after a session review I'll move on to the lesson 2.

Greetings!
      Well done,

Homework 1 is complete !

I recommend that you start working on your mental game as soon as you can. There are videos and articles that you can use from PokerStrategy and there are many books that can get you started.

I would say that starting on this sooner rather than later will help you tremendously.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by sipox
      Ok so let's finish the lesson two. First of all I have read every article, watched every video and also the podcast of the coaching. I have been playing NL2 and I have made 18k hands so far with pretty good results. Here is the graph:

So now, lets finish with this lesson by doing the homework so that i can move to lesson 3:
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

First of all i think the standard chart is pretty small and tight. First thing i have changed is that i OR every pocket pair from every position, since I really think it is very profitable. And then the stealing range. It is extremely tight in the standard table so I attempt to steal with any suited connectors, one-gappers, broadways, pocket pairs, and sometimes suited kings. I have learnt to decide wether to steal or not depending on the opponents, thanks to the stats and a player classifying note color system. So if the opponent has like a 90% of fold to steal, i almost attempt to steal with any two. Results so far have been quite amazing, really profitable. Also the range of 3 betting has been adapted. Depending on the opponents of course, but i think Ax and som Kx hands are very good for 3 betting as a resteal because they are blockers.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I have had plenty of questions about preflop play and here are some of the hands posted for evaluation. Btw, i have to say it is amazing how fast and accurate the replies come back :)

QQ in 3bet 3way pot
      AKo vs 4bet preflop

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Entering the data in Equilab it shows that AKo has a 46.32% equity against that range.
      Well done, homework 2 is done as well.

Re Q1: I like the adjustments you've started to make.

I want to recommend that you look at the sample size you have before looking at a stat. For example 90% can be 9/10 or 18/20 or 27/30 and so on. However 50% can be 1/2 which is not really a sample.

So always look at the sample size.

Q3: Did you expect that equity from AK? Would you be able to compute that without equilab or while playing?