[NL2-NL10] need feedback about this hand

• spreeboy
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

BTN is 19/13
      BB is 17/11

Both are straightforward players I believe. No fancy plays so far.

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 3, 3.
      MP2 calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.30, CO folds, BU calls $0.30, SB folds, BB calls $0.25, MP2 folds.
      Flop: ($0.97) T, 3, 8 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.95, BU calls $0.95, BB calls $0.95.

--- Holy shit. ?( So I tank trying to make sense of their actions. I am up against two straightforward players here in a flop that pretty much hit their preflop calling ranges.

Thoughts on BTN: I ruled out 88 and T8 on BTN range as he would certainly 3bet it rather than TT. So i put him on a range of TT, JJ, JsT, QsJs, KsQs, AsJs. I think he would fold all small PP at this point since he is up against 2 players. He could also have some middle SC like 9s8,9s7s..

Thoughts on BB: His range here pretty much consist of draws. I think he would fold all small PP at this point. And there is no way that he would slowplay a set here even TT. I am not too worried about him now.
      Turn: ($3.82) 4 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

BB: His turn check confirms he has a weak hand.

Hero: I think my check here is a mistake, I am not sure (This is the spot in the hand that I am completely at a loss). However, I erred too much on being cautious because I know that its hard for me to call a raise and certainly could not call a shove from BTN here. At this point, I was expecting a bet from BTN and was planning to re-evaluate after BB acts. If BTN bets and BB calls, I may consider shoving here because of the dead money from BB.

BTN checked!. F*ck, so I did have the best hand on the turn.
      River: ($3.82) A (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU bets $2.00, BB folds, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Third spade and a half pot river bet from BTN = snap fold. I would have called if any non-spade hit the river

What do you guys think about BTN range? I would appreciate any feedback and any thoughts on ways that I could have played this hand differently.

Final Pot: $3.82.
  • 7 replies
    • aboesing
      I looks you already see your mistake in turn. You have a draw board and a made hand. Here, you need bet to protect your hand and value for your hand.
      On flop, I think you should bet 3/4 of pot, but pot bet it is ok.
      On river, draw card come, and I will fold here too, but since you will shove on turn, It will be a bad beat, but correct line.
    • spreeboy
      Yeah I think you're right. Looking back through the hand, I think any better set will 3bet flop. I should have bet turn again for value. :f_frown:
    • liguolong
      Definitely bet turn, even if they have set in their range, you should bet. Don't be afraid to lose a bit pot with set under set, it is just a cooler and there is nothing you can do. You should bet when you think he will call with much more worse hands than better hands.
    • gadget51
      Hi guys,

I've moved this to the relevant forum so out hand evaluation judges can see it as well.

• Jaissica
      I think you really had to keep barrelling on the turn. If you are really concerned about being raised only by better sets you can play bet-fold, but as a rule of thumb its rarely a mistake on a board like that to get it all in on the flop or the turn with bottom set against most regulars.

If you had a read that either of them were serious rocks then the flop action looks scary, but since they both seem somewhat sensible, flush draws and hands like J9, Tx, 79 are all able to find calls here.
    • kymupa

Preflop, with this small pair, we could consider overlimping to just see the flop. I would only raise if MP is tending to fold a lot against cbets.
      Also, why do we make it 6bb?

Dream flop for us, so we can definitely bet for value here.
      If you think that they wouldn't change their range no matter of your sizing, then I don't mind betting on the bigger side.
      Usually, I would bet around $0.7.

On the turn I am definitely betting again for value here. This is the last street where we can take value from draws, plus the card is a blank so some Tx might call us again.

As played, I am check/folding the river as well against two opponents. Even though the ace of spades reduces their calling range a lot, we are only getting called by AT here (could even fold) so when BU bets I think we are behind most of the times.
      Considering BU's stats he tends to call a lot, so his range here definitely includes suited broadways and some SC.

• spreeboy

Yes, I overcall/limp with PP sometimes, but I think I had a good feel that a steal iso is better at that moment.

6BB is my standard iso against a limper in 5NL. I usually table-select and make sure that I have at least 1 fish on my right. In this case, yes obviously the limper is a one-tabling fish. They tend to call a lot if I make it smaller than 6BB, and also I find it profitable since they are playing fit-or-fold and just usually give up on flop cbets most of the time.

I agree that I have misplayed the turn here. This should have been a bet for value. However, I recall that part of my decision to slowdown here was influenced by my history against villain. My image in this table is tight pre but very aggressive on postflop and I just keep on putting pressure on flops that seems to miss their range, especially the BTN guy.

I made him fold his hand on the turn on a 3bet flop (he being the aggressor). This is about 8 or 9 hands before. So basically, I am in a dilemma on whether to stick on the supposedly right play, which is to bet. Or to slow down because of the possibility that he is really trapping me here for revenge.

My own thinking backfired and lost me this pot. :D