bb defence - any two?

• alexstunning
      alexstunning
      Bronze
      ... so i'm sitting alone drinking vodka and playing HUHU/

a guy from Ireland who doesn't want to chat with me wins some money from me. that's weird \cause i think i got some edge over him.

so i decide to optimize my game against him at least at preflop/

the Q is about bb defense. he open-raises 59%,
      correct me if i\'m wrong but i count my EQ as 25%

i open equilab's feature called "range Equity" or smth like that... put in 25% min equity, ... and it's telling me that i should call random hand....

so what's wrong in my assumptions or i'm drunkly true?

not assuming that if he finds out any two - it'll be wrong...
  • 5 replies
    • Optroot
      Optroot
      Bronze
      Preflop hand equity is the worst predictor of profit. Calling with hand vs range equity only really works on the river when there are no actions left.

The reality is, there is are several streets you have to play OOP, and will never be comfortable with a trash hand when you hit. Plus there are reverse implied odds. Equity does not account for that.

Generally you continue with hands that are going to help you nut your range for the river. Trash hands do the opposite.
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      I second what Optroot has said, you might have some equity preflop vs their range but the fact that you're oop and playing against such a wide range means you'll be bleeding money in the long run if you play trash hands that are rarely going to flop TP or better. You can add some hands to your 3bet bluff range though if your opponent is raising wide but only continuing in 3bet pots with a strong range.

Only exception to this would be vs opponents who only ever cbet when they hit, and will fold the turn having missed the flop if you bet into them, since you can call preflop with atc and steal the pot every time they miss, but in that case you're playing your opponents' tendencies rather than your cards.
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Agree with what's been said here

You should obviously defned wide but I would start with folding bottom 15% of hands in game with high rake and reducing that figure based on rake/opponent's opening.

If you're in a system where the BB is also the button then actualyl defending any 2 is a reasonable adjustment, I certainly wouldn't fold more than 10% of my hands in this spot even in high rake games.
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Boomer2k10

You should obviously defned wide but I would start with folding bottom 15% of hands in game with high rake and reducing that figure based on rake/opponent's opening.

If you're in a system where the BB is also the button then actualyl defending any 2 is a reasonable adjustment, I certainly wouldn't fold more than 10% of my hands in this spot even in high rake games.
      so in 0.5/1 - 1/2 HUFL cash you would recommend defending any two +- bottom 10% of your hands ?

what about in FLHUSNGS ? the micros 1.5s - 7s ?
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avataren
      Originally posted by Boomer2k10

so in 0.5/1 - 1/2 HUFL cash you would recommend defending any two +- bottom 10% of your hands ?

what about in FLHUSNGS ? the micros 1.5s - 7s ?
      No in a high rake cash game when the BB is out of position (i.e. it's a HU match) I would defend about top 80-85%

In a SNG I probably would defend 85-90% because the pots aren't raked and tbh this is what I would be playing if I wanted low stakes HUHU action, the cash games below 3/6 are too highly raked to beat anyone except a total drooler.

In a normal 6-max cash game where the BB is in position on the SB I fold probably the bottom 10% of hands, maybe less if I think I have a big post-flop edge but again rake is a factor. In a no-rake environment defending 100% of your range here is actually fine as well (depends on blinds structure etc but you should be defending HUGELY in this spot since you're effectively getting 4-1 becasue the SB is going to c-bet the flop pretty much always)